Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Honda VFR1200 DCT review First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Honda VFR1200 DCT review

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Video: Honda VFR1200 DCT review

Our first full road test of Honda's new DCT-equipped VFR1200F proves - for the second time in 2010 - that motorcycling is entering a all-new, high-tech era. http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1119137831http://www.brightcove.com/channel.jsp?channel=711881422 // By use of this code snippet, I agree to the Brightcove Publisher T and C // found at http://corp.brightcove.com/legal/terms_publisher.cfm. var config = new Array(); /* * feel...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 May 2010 14:55)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
omega1

Jun 04

omega1 says:

DCT - Who needs it?

A word of caution here! I had a VW Passat with dual clutch technology which was amazing until it started to go wrong. Just outside warranty with around 16,000 miles on the clock it started to stall occassionally and moving away in traffic became very jerky. I was quoted between £750 and £1,500 for repairs depending on what they found once it had been stripped down. Needless to say I p/x'd it at the earliest opportunity for a BMW 'standard' automatic, much, much better. DCT technology on a bike, not for me I'm afraid Mr Honda give me a clutch lever and a gear pedal anyday!

Incidentally, are the Japanese Companies competing to see who can make the biggest and ugliest exhausts?

Reply to this Topic
mcnandbiked

Aug 05

mcnandbiked says:

Honda VFR 1200 DCT

I commute 50 miles each way on a blade and  I get a chronic stiff left hand and some days it can be quite uncomfortable especially after a bad traffic day. The idea of the DCT does appeal but so is the idea of a "false cluth" lever which can give me an added "feathering the clutch" function. I am sure Honda can put a false clutch lever which is spring loaded and which communicates with the hydraulics system to allow finer control of the power train. Some days ... I do feel like a DCT.. especialy when I am doing a slow speed turn past a line of frustrated motorists ... I have to clutch-point, drag my brakes,  do a life saver; often over a loose surface or even over a pot hole or two! this  can tax even the most hard core enthusiast who loves interactive riding.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

..another thought on this

I have over the last few years had an issue with my left foot. Bones breaking down and loads of swelling. Needless to say, shifting a bike is painful and took some of the fun in riding away. When I saw the youtube video on the VFR I was rather excited for people such as myself. This would take away the need to shift and bring back the fun. So while I agree that shifting and matching revs with the clutch adds to the flavor of riding a motorcycle remember there are those who might find this a solution to a very real problem. This technology will allow choice and options for those who need it. I have to say still owning one of the first generation VF Hondas that's still ridden and in the garage today I look at this bike as a thing of beauty and can't wait to have a ride on one.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Deffo not for me.

I've ridden manual and automatic motorcycles/scooters and often find the automatic systems to be something of a liability. I live in a mountainous region and often need to use engine braking when descending down steep hairpins. If I try to take some of these corners slowly the auto clutch can sometimes disengage meaning the bike starts to run away from me. These can often become tedious and often mean I need to ride with power slightly on but brakes on to maintain some form of engine braking.

Maybe such a system may appeal to new starters or infirmed riders incapable of using the clutch but I'm not convinced dumbing down rider input won't result in riders paying less attention on the road.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

What problem?

I think Phil hit the nail on the head at the end when he asked the question is there a need for it? I think some companies, not just Honda or biking, seem to think that progress is inventing answers for questions that no one is asking. Personally, what a waste of time. Is there really that many BMW drivers waiting for the invention of an overpriced automatic V4 touring bike before they start biking?

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

NO

i love changing gear manually , auto bike NO

Reply to this Topic
griwiross

Jun 10

griwiross says:

DCT VFR

I was lucky enough to get a shot of the new bike and have to say that it is very impressive. Firstly it is not an automatic. It has a full 6 speed sequential gearbox which has various options on how it is controlled. For us that like to change gear ourself that option is still very firmly there with the exception of not using a clutch or gear lever. If you ride it like you would normally do and like the sound of a blipping throttle the bike will actually do it for you. The thing that I found takes most getting used to is not rolling off the throttle or backing off on up changes. Going up the 'box you can just keep the throttle wide open and just keep hitting the up button. As some have said "do we need it?" the answer would be to buy a manual if you dont want it. The other thing I would highly recommend is that a half hour test is nowhere near long enough, you would need to convince the dealer to give you a half day and stick a couple of hundred miles on it. Overall i think it's great and a huge advance for bikes. Best advice is get out there and try it when it hits your dealer

Reply to this Topic
lardyboy66

Aug 07

lardyboy66 says:

If you want it buy it !

If you want this system then buy it - if not take the normal option. Its not so long ago that the so called experts said that the only gear box to have in a car is a normal one - funny how times change, try getting a standard shift Porsche, Ferrari etc any more - chances are you cant and to be honest, the tech will change gear better than you can. Hats off to Honda for putting this into production - if its as good as people are saying then bring it on - A DCT or DSG is still a manual box but the changes are electronic thats all. The system is linked to the fly by wire throttle and wheel speed sensors so when in "auto mode" it changes when its best to so not on trailing throttle through corners etc. It will even change up a cog if the rear spins up ! I for one welcome the tech, not so long ago people said that ABS was stupid and they could break better, not sure thats the case now

Reply to this Topic
lardyboy66

Aug 07

lardyboy66 says:

If you want it buy it !

If you want this system then buy it - if not take the normal option. Its not so long ago that the so called experts said that the only gear box to have in a car is a normal one - funny how times change, try getting a standard shift Porsche, Ferrari etc any more - chances are you cant and to be honest, the tech will change gear better than you can. Hats off to Honda for putting this into production - if its as good as people are saying then bring it on - A DCT or DSG is still a manual box but the changes are electronic thats all. The system is linked to the fly by wire throttle and wheel speed sensors so when in "auto mode" it changes when its best to so not on trailing throttle through corners etc. It will even change up a cog if the rear spins up ! I for one welcome the tech, not so long ago people said that ABS was stupid and they could break better, not sure thats the case now

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle