You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Textile cleaning

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Tooshay

Dec 07

Tooshay says:

Textile cleaning

Hello. I've got some textile riding gear, and as the weather has now warmed up, they've now started getting covered in loads of flies, bugs etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of any products that are good for cleaning bugs off textiles, or just the best way to clean textile motorcycle clothing. Thanks, Stuart.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 May 2010 19:37)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bugs

I would use a damp cloth with a mild detergent to re/hydrate the bugs then use a brush to fling em off.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

My textiles have washing instructions

get your misses to work them out - seem to be complete jibberish to me

Think she leaves out the fabric softner so waterproofing survives

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Bug graveyards

Just take a ride in some heavy rain - softens the little corpses and rinses them clean away.

Water seems to need a good 5-10 minutes to soften dried bugs, so don't try to instantly scrub them away.

If you have Goretex or similar follow the instructions - an occasional bath an TechWash then a dip in TechWax gets out all the ingrained dirt and restores water repellent properties - you can try it on your textiles too if you like.

Reply to this Topic
frazerish

Mar 10

frazerish says:

Nikwax

Nikwax, recomended for goretex and all waterproof clothing. 

DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENERS

They will damage the waterproof lining and the material will seise to be waterproof 

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

on most

sympatex/gortex clothing it is a liner/membrane that is water proof. The textile bit is there really for looks and to protect what is really a big plastic bag. With my kit I take all the removable liners out and armour, do all the zips and poppers up and stick it all it the washing machine. Does not effect the waterproofing as the textile isn't waterproof anyway.

Tom

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
massivesnail

Aug 10

massivesnail says:

jackets

we have just washed our jackets and they came out fine

we washed them in the washing machine around 30 and added some of that stuff you can use to wash waterproof jackets in (it makes them stay waterproof- and you can buy it in like camping/hikiing shops) then we tumble dried it on a cool heat for 20 mins or so and it was fine.
(Just make sure you take all the armour out)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices