Ask an Expert Police Stopping Position Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Police Stopping Position

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Maggiespaniel

Jun 10

Police Stopping Position

Hi Guys, hope this hasn't been covered before.

For my test I was taught that when stopped to have my right foot on the brake and sit in first gear with the clutch in and left foot on the floor. Then to swop feet to change between first and neutral. 
However I notice police riders stop with their right foot down. I can understand that this would give them an advantage with changing gears and that they have good enough balance to have completely finished braking before putting their foot down but when I gave it a go I found hill starts impossible.

Any ideas or (ex)police riders who can explain the reason for this?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 June 2010 12:21)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

holding brakes

disagree on this, holding front brakes on instead of rear doesnt make a bit of difference, I used to put left foot down in town but a pain in the arse if lights catch u out..i just bang her in neutral if they hold for long enough, then right foot down, amber gr ..i'm off..lol..

Used to rally cars and trust me, for brakes to warp they have to be abused summat chronic...roughest stages in wales and no problem with brakes ever..same as on bike, obviously dont touch them after a long or hard ride in twisties..lol..my volvo v70  been chipped and brakes upgraded, on our country roads, they get serious abuse stopping 250 horses...quickly they are blue but work fine..cool down so no problem at all..

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

Warping

I was talking about holding the heat in the discs with the pads, not heavy use.  :tongue:

Besides, I've managed to warp discs on cars and bikes...some designs/materials are more susceptible to this than others.

Reply to this Topic
tiggr2

Jun 10

tiggr2 says:

Its your choice, i do it the easy way

Right foot down and control the gears, normaly Ive anticipated and not stopped, but this way stops me having to mess around with my feet, in gear and go. Im just a mortal not advanced, police, military or anything else, just time serverd road rider and off road racer.. Enjoy.. do what feels good for you

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Stopping

Having been rear ended before I even got a chance to come to a stop, I can tell you it wouldn't have mattered if I was in gear, neutral, back brake, front brake. Fact is when I got hit, the shock made me let go of the controls anyway, the rear wheel was locked because there was a car on top of it which climbed up and smashed the rear bodywork After this the driver panicked and hit the accelerator instead of brake and floored it into me a second time, this time at an angle which swivelled the bike around so that I was now sideways in the road (I'm still on the bike at this point). If the driver had continued she would have crushed my leg between the bike and her bumper, and the rest doesn't bare thinking about.

Regarding which foot I put down, it depends on the circumstances as Andy949494 said, but on a hill start I hold the bike on the rear brake. When stopping I would rather not hold the bike on the front brake as a precaution against discs warping. If I'm around town I'll stop on front brake, but anything faster like on dual carriageways and I prefer holding the rear. And if the rear one warps, well that's cheaper to replace than two front ones!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices