Skip to content

Ask an Expert Legal to ride 125cc in UK on NI Driving license? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Legal to ride 125cc in UK on NI Driving license?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply



Jul 10

Posts: 6

kryss says:

Legal to ride 125cc in UK on NI Driving license?

Hi, I live in Northern Ireland and am learning to ride on a Driving (Car) license - its legal over here to buy a 125, insure as learner put L plates up and ride with no CBT test (there isnt one). IF I went on a weekend to Scotland would my NI license still allow me to ride a 125 without a CBT? As a tourist not a resident obviously.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (30 July 2010 23:29)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Apr 08

Posts: 3042

AdieR says:

as far as I can see

you would be ok in UK without CBT.

your licence is based on NI residence (thus you'd have to comply with NI rules, and not Eng / Scot / Welsh rules).

Obviously, if your planning to travel, double check your insurance (make sure it lets you travel here - I know my insurance has restrictions if I go from UK to NI / ROI).

Beware that for traffic offences there is mutual recognition between UK / NI - so points from speed cams etc CAN be applied to your licence, as well as any fines.

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices