Skip to content

Ask an Expert First Bike trip to Scotland Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > First Bike trip to Scotland

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

First Bike trip to Scotland

Hi,

I am a newbie biker, only had my bike and license for 6 months, (though have racked up over 3000 miles in this time!) :biggrin:

I want to do my first bike trip once I have finished uni next summer and fancy going to Scotland for something like 10 days.
Currently I have Glen Coe on my list of places to go,  any tips of places to go, good cheap accommodation/camping, roads to ride and general help/info please?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 December 2010 01:53)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

thats what

I was hoping someone would say! I wouldn't expect things to be taken off my bike, but you never know what may happen, just need to find a good roll bag that attaches well to my bike now

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

luggage

ive done a fair bit of travelling on the bike, all over gb, around europe, north africa, never yet had anything taken, saying that i have heard of some horror stories when i went to the bol dor paul ricard circuit, heard of brakes being cut of bikes, people being watched going back to tent pissed having tent cut open and money being stolen,

mate had his lid cut of his bike at brands

just be aware of where you park bike and keep all valuble stuff in a ruck sack you can carry easily,

any stuff you leave on bike get some cable locks and lock to bike,

hotels should been fine but there again all the valuble stuff take with you, same with tent,

dont wanna sound gloomy bout it only passing on what i know,

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Thanks for the advice! Better to have some knowledge of it than not know anything and then something bad happen.

I guess its about being sensible with it all really, and limiting the stuff you take!

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Edinburgh

Hi,

Any recommendations for good campsites/ good biker friendly (not to expensive) hotels in the area??

Reply to this Topic
panbloke

Feb 09

panbloke says:

Your trip to Scotland

Hi there,

might be worth passing on these:

1. When we did our Scotland tour, we took camping gear, but not much to cook/eat with, figuring what the hell...we'll eat out....trouble was.....there just wasn't anywhere (depends where you go of course!)
  2. As per one of your previous replies - Applecross takes you over a 'mountain' pass which is fantastic if the weather is good.  The site is pretty good with good facilities and failry close to the sea. Walk down the hill to the sea and there is an excellent pub with excellent ber and food - but...... at dusk you need to be prepared for swarms of midges...nasty biting little 'erberts!
  3. There's an okay site at the north end of loch lomond which can make a good stop over...

THE most important thing..... take a puncture kit and learn how to use it!!

As for theft... it's difficult to say - I was fortunate in that I had hard luggage, but we also used a tank bag (Oxford) which could also be used as a ruck sack - it held the important stuff and it went where I went..

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for those gems of info! I want to up sticks now and go!
Just need to decide whether or not to get a new bike for it or not

Reply to this Topic
Budda1

Jul 09

Budda1 says:

Scotland

Hi

I've been going to scotland on and off for 10 years as a diver  we go up past lock lomond to Oban  and across to Mull (by ferry) where we stay in Tobermory all good roads around this area for biking, The green wellie stop is also in this area ( a must for bikers in the summer ).

when planning trips I will find places orf intrest i want to go to and look them up on google maps you can then use the street viewer to look around .

Just be prepaired for a bit of rain !!

Have a good ride & be safe:blink: 

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Hi

Thanks for the info, oddly I to am a diver, though not yet been able to dive in Scotland, I am not that hardcore and prefer the warmer waters of Sharm!

Thanks for the pointer on, basing the trip around things on places of interest, Will have a google and see whats around

Thanks Dave

Reply to this Topic
mrnutt

Dec 10

mrnutt says:

Thats great adivce thanks! I was wondering how to deal with Edinburgh, as I would really like to spend a few days there.
Do you happen to know of any decent campsites around the city area?

Thanks
Dave

Reply to this Topic
scampisv

Jun 09

scampisv says:

"WHEN"

HI,also thinking of first trip up to scotland from bristol,looking at leaving april 22nd-may 1st(2 blokes on bikes) if this sounds any good to you give us a shout,CHEERS.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices