You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > BT015 Highside

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bigfoot68

Feb 09

bigfoot68 says:

BT015 Highside

Has anyone else bought a new Honda recently and had a unexpected mishap on these tyres?  Basically the rear span out when leaving my driveway on my 'blade.  Unexpected as it was dry and 8 degrees C.  £4k of damage, broken collar bone, unconscious, bruising etc. Ouch!  Heard of another fella locally who also bought one at the same time and has been sliding about on these tyres; so maybe it's a dodgy batch?  Thinking about ditching the tyres when can start riding again but would appreciate hearing about anything similar.  Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (17 January 2011 16:49)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Sounds like the tyres were stone cold

if you were just pulling away from your driveway.  All tyres take a bit of warming up before offering any real grip.  I once had the rear tyre let go 100yds from my house, low-sided so no really damage luckily.  But I was a bit too heavy handed with the throttle/clutch turning out the end of the road.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

BT015...

...were okay on my gixxer, but they turned to granite when parked at those sort of temperatures, meaning negligible grip, careful planning and kid gloves on the controls for a few miles.

Cold tyres at the start of each ride is one of those things when you have sports tyres on.  The only thing worse is cold, wet and not yet scrubbed in.

Even the hard centre strip of the RoadSmarts seems to stay softer at lower temperatures (despite lasting twice as long), but last year I still managed a tank slapper one perfect sunny 3°C lunchtime, just 200 yards after leaving work: blipped into second gear at around 25mph on a slight bend, just pootling really - spun up - wtf - lucky to ride it out, but I try not to forget.

Still, be good to know if anyone thinks there are some particularly bad BT015s out there...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Cold tyres

I'm a bit paranoid about mine.   Even 10 miles out, if there hasn't been any serious taxing of their grip, they make me wary.   Probably a good idea to exercise the back brake aswell as the front when coming to lights and so on, just to warm it up that much better, and don't trust it at all until you feel they've done some work.

Reply to this Topic
bigfoot68

Feb 09

bigfoot68 says:

Cold tyres

Cold tyres it must be.  Will still probably change them.  Must be more careful!  Thanks guys. 

Reply to this Topic
bigfoot68

Feb 09

bigfoot68 says:

Cold tyres

Cold tyres it must be.  Will still probably change them.  Must be more careful!  Thanks guys. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices