You are in... Forums > General > General > The luckiest moment of my life:

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

The luckiest moment of my life:

I managed to coax the bike to life on Saturday, when i got home from work, decided to take it for a spin to try and bring everything back to life.

It was quiet and quite late, came off a round about onto a straight piece of road (30 zone, but shouldnt be, wide road, no juntions, straight, some houses but not many) 3 cars infront of me, 2 right infront of me, a gap, a third car then further ahead a blind right turn, i knew i could take all 3 before the blind corner easily so i shrugged my shoulders and thought why not, dropped it into second and pinned it, went screaming past the first 2, but changed my plan mid overtake and moved back into lane to take the last car seperately, just as i got into position to overtake the 3rd car, a police car came round the blind corner, at which point i burst into laughter at my luck (or possible unluckyness if id decided to take all 3 in a oner as first planned)

If id taken all 3 in a oner, the rozzers woulda come round the corner to see me bombing down the wrong side of the road at about 80mph in a 30 zone, woulda been fun trying to explain that one away.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 January 2011 23:47)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shanep

Jul 09

shanep says:

overtaking 3 cars approaching a blind corner

...is, put simply, very stupid!

Car coming from round the corner at 80 and your dead......Clever thinking! :doubt:

Reply to this Topic
sad500

Dec 07

sad500 says:

Look we have all now and then gone a bit quick and maybe gone over the speed limit a wee bit.  

But 80 in a 30 is bonkers, no matter what time of the day/night and whatever the amount of traffic on the road at the time. 

The fact is the courts are giving out prison time for folk 50mph over the speed limit, especially to bikers.  They treat us far worse than car drivers for speeding offences.  

Are we not getting enough bad press week in week out from car drivers and cyclists moaning about our presence on the roads?  We dont need any more bad press or before you know it the government and EU tossers will have us limited to 20bhp!

Reply to this Topic
Eyes600

Sep 09

Eyes600 says:

MAD

I think you need to sign up  on www.iam.org.uk to be a better safer rider.

You give us all a bad name.

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

filter

yes filter by all means,but at times when only a couple in front at a red light in a 30 zone there is no need,youll get over on the next change and no doubt ot them after the light before they get to 30 or 40...in a built up...Sometimes its not prudent to do it..Ive seen bikers/push in front blocking the cars etc..Rude....in my opinion...Filtering is fine but not on every occasion ...Be prudent my fellow bikers.....Ive never impeded a car,ive either gone or will OT without causing any alarm or hindrance ,nay not even a tut!Thats biking in my book!and  I dont hang about!See the post giving the def.of filter...its not pushing to the front as you seem to think...arent you the lucky one? I DID IT TODAY to all but the two front vehicles, all were happy¬!then took them at the black band without having to brake/push in...simples yes? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Ratty, my kinda guy :laugh:

In my mind, whats the point of owning a bike if your going to ride it like you drive a car. Why buy a bike, and drive along in your lane, at the speed limit all the time in your own little magic lala land, when you can do that and stay dry and warm and listen to your radio in your car?

Its not like i was caning it through a town at 80mph in the middle of the day.

Id just like to reinforce the fact, that there was an extremely low chance of an accident, the only possible accidents would be ones you face overtaking every time, that another road user that you were trying to overtake decides to overtake without looking, or just plain and simply loosing control.

NO chance of a head on, the blind corner was too far ahead, i WOULD have made it back in if something appeared and i believed i couldnt make it past the last car.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

filtering

There is nothing more i like than filtering between two cars at a red light even if they were the only two there...and if they start getting edgey i would block em

but the best bit comes when i pull away from lights and leave em for dead.

but whats better fun than that is pulling up at some reds in the slow lane and when they go green pull away like miss daisy then rev the fekker up dump clutch and watch their jaws drop  :lol::lol::lol: 

Reply to this Topic
shanep

Jul 09

shanep says:

I don't agree 80 in a 30 zone is necessarily dangerous, as bikers I'd assume we're all examining well ahead and around than a car driver; against the law yes.

Andy, guess I mis-judged and pictured the scence wrong...personally, I wouldn't attempt anything remotely close to "overtaking three cars whilst approaching a blind corner", it just sounds wrong! but that's my opinion........

:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

Hmm

I don't think people are getting it.

Yeah sure doing 80 in a 30 is silly but he has made the point that it's a silly 30 in the first place.
If the motorways or dual carriage ways where made 30s tomorrow, how many people would stick to 30 dead? Despite the increase health benefits of going slowly?
There's ALWAYS a corner in front of you somewhere, just because he overtook before a blind corner it doesn't mean it's dangerous, he said he had plenty of room to abort or get to safety if something came around the corner, he obviously made a decision to abort plenty of time before the corner. The same way you have plenty of time to stop at a traffic light if it turns yellow.
People are jumping to conclusions that it was a stupid thing to do. From how it's been described by andyvfr1 it sounds like a car pulling up to a junction in front of you is more dangerous.
Yes 99% of the time doing anything more than 35-3rmph in a 30 is 100% selfish and stupid but local conditions should be taken into account, most motorcyclists use their brains and assess the conditions in ways normal driver don't. No i wouldn't have done that myself but i don't think the chances of a crash were increased to the point where it makes much of a difference ( just love a huge safety margin).
1/8 of a mile at 80 takes about 5 seconds, car doing the same speed opposite way would also do it in 5 seconds (adding to 1/4 mile), overtaking a car, say 15 meters of travel relative to the other vehicle on other side of the road before you can move over, takes 0.7 seconds, leaving you 4.3 seconds to avoid the incoming traffic (i.e. move to your own side of the road).
Saying the bike can brake at 0.88g (http://mfes.com/motorcyclebraking.html)
then you can stop from 80mph in 4.1seconds (within your 1/8 mile).
Also what kind of kid would be out at night and watch kind of person would randomly walk into the road in that sort of area described (sounded like the middle of nowhere to me).
*sigh*

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Limits...

blah blah.. Ratty is right... although in the eyes of the law he's not.

It's not black and white... nobody here was there except the guy who posted.. it's all down to rider descretion and we ALL break limits at times... I'm fairly sure the guy made his decision based on his surroundings at the time.. I'd like to think if there had been a kid within 20 metres of that road he would not have cracked on so quick.. C'mon, We all know the joy of hard acceleration!!!!

Give him some credit as a rider... there are grey areas aplenty out there, and sure enough he knew the risk of getting caught at that speed in a 30 zone!

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Red mist

Ever wondered why the speed limit has been reduced?

You see it so many times now, Ever wondered how car drivers and bike riders manage to get wrapped around a tree or end up in a ditch upside down, in a 50 or even a 30mph limit in places that don't even look dangerous?

You ask yourself how the effing hell do they manage to do it, are they really that thick.

Unfortunately even though the authorities reduce speed limits and improve signage to reduce the number of accidents, they still occur after the measures have been put in place, because some drivers or riders continue to take unneccesary risks.

Yes we all make silly mistakes, and should learn from them, we might not be so lucky the next time!!

Take care and keep it safe.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices