Skip to content

Discuss This Census asks about cars and vans but not bikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Census asks about cars and vans but not bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Census asks about cars and vans but not bikes

The 2011 Census has been slammed for ignoring motorcycles.One question asks households how many cars or vans they have but makes no mention of bikes.It says: ‘In total, how many cars or vans are owned, or available for use, by members of this household?’ A Census spokesman said: “After thorough consultation with users, namely the Department for Transport, including motorcycles...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 March 2011 12:22)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Captain Hook

Jun 07

Captain Hook says:

Parking Congestion

"namely the Department for Transport, including motorcycles wasn't required as they don't contribute significantly to traffic or parking congestion."

Someone should mention that to Westminster Council.

Reply to this Topic
rjdjones

Feb 05

rjdjones says:

religion

with no mention of bikes in the census I put "biker" in the religion section

Reply to this Topic
Edgey18

Sep 10

Edgey18 says:

Parking Congestion

+1 To Captain Hook... How can they give that reason for not including motorbikes but on the other hand be charging them for parking.

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

"don't contribute significantly to traffic or parking congestion."

well then can i have some of my road tax back?

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Fine by me

You heard it:

“After thorough consultation with users, namely the Department for Transport, including motorcycles wasn't required as they don't contribute significantly to traffic or parking congestion".

An endorsement for motorcycling from the dft, whatever next?

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

I think this is a good thing if only to use that quote in future arguments, I think it is a very important statement to remember and to remind others of in future...

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Belief.

As ridjones says put it in the belief section but don't be ambigous - state "motorcyclist"

If enough riders claim this there could be benefits - for example it may offer anti-discriminatory protection as well as showing the powers that be that there are significant people with attitude.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

We do`nt exist.

The only time bikers get a mention is when they want to do us down, apart from that we have NEVER existed. Right back since Fattie Two Jags did not include is in the Governments very early UK road transport policy.

We are invisible ;)

Reply to this Topic
exportmanuk

Feb 11

exportmanuk says:

The census does ask further on in personal question 41  how you travel to work and includes motorcycle, scooters or moped.  that it is quite a significant statement from the DFT

Reply to this Topic
tomlloydy

Mar 09

tomlloydy says:

@hosbusa

I feel like im invisible on the road sometimes too, people just pull right out in front of me!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices