Skip to content

Discuss This Bike tax up General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike tax up

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike tax up

Motorcycle road tax for bikes over 600cc has increased by nearly 6% in the Budget.  The rate for over-600s has gone from £70 to £74. It’s the second rise since March 2010, when the price was £66. Tax for bikes between 401cc and 600cc has also gone up, from £50 to £53. Bikes from 151cc to 400cc now cost £35 to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 March 2011 11:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
uncleturtle

Dec 09

uncleturtle says:

Bike Tax

Why are bikes being hit harder? You can get cars with zero road fund license that do 50-odd mpg. Why then are bikes having their license fees pushed up when a good proportion do at least 50 mpg and cause very little surface damage to roads? In fact more bikes are damaged by the UK's roads, potholes etc. If there are any vehicles out there that deserve a life free of the road fund license, it's the bikes.

Makes no sense.

Just wanted to get in before someone comes on here advertising shoes or clothes! SPAMMERS, go away!

Reply to this Topic
exportmanuk

Feb 11

exportmanuk says:

My wifes car which has a higher CO2 output and uses more fuel than my bike  has been reduced to £20.00

CRAZY

Reply to this Topic
Sanjuricus

Apr 09

Sanjuricus says:

Bike Tax

ere...guv'nor....PSSSSSSSST Wanna buy some shoes? Got a bundle goin' cheap as chips guv'

ere...guv'nor....PSSSSSSSST Wanna buy some shoes? Got a bundle goin' cheap as chips guv'

amidoinitrite? Trololololol!!!!

Reply to this Topic
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

Bike Tax

Here in Ireland it costs €76 no matter what bike you ride. 50cc Moped = €76 Goldwing = €76 , i personally think it should be free or i wouldn't complain if it went back to 20 quid like it was when i started biking in 1994... bikers really are ripped off.....

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

It's not the £70 or £74 that's the problem... it's just the price of a couple of fill-ups... but it is a slap in the face for a considerate group of road users when other, far less eco-friendly forms of transport are cheaper to tax. The govt. along with many others see motorcycles as recreational vehicles that the roads could well do without.

Reply to this Topic
JacquesWood

Nov 10

JacquesWood says:

It isn't midless

I was talking too a chap at my local council not long ago, talking about this very subject. And he says, that the reason for the increase in bike tax is due to a motorcycle's need for better quality road surfacing. He says, they wish they could concrete the entire road network and be be done with it. But, it seems there is consideration for us bikers, but with that comes increased costs in tax. And, to be fair, all the roads that have been resurfaced near me (Surrey) are certainly coming out as nice, smooth bits of black heaven! Have a chat with your local councils, mine are really proactive about keeping road surfaces to a high quality to minimise crashes.

Reply to this Topic
tackyaccy

Dec 07

tackyaccy says:

what were doing

is subsidising car tax for thoes cars with small emissions,its a bit bloody rich isnt it when a car takes up 4 times the space of a motorcycle. just another ripoff.

Reply to this Topic
holdcrai121

Mar 11

holdcrai121 says:

Joke

This country is a Joke, the roads are becoming unrideable, I have nearly binned my bike twice in so many weeks there is a road between Fort Dunlop and Wood end Lane in Erdington Birmingham That is so dangerous due to the amount of pot holes it's stupid, around both islands and as you turn into the road from wood end lane. why we stand for this all they do is hike the pricing and give no service...JOKE!!!!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Damage.

Sorry JacquesWood, but your councillor's statement that, "the reason for the increase in bike tax is due to a motorcycle's need for better quality road surfacing" clearly doesn't stand up to scrutiny. We're not doing the damage and besides, that's not how taxation works. All taxes and National Insurance goes into a single pot. The Government then decide what to spend it on. Your taxes don't buy you what you think you're getting.

Oh, and if the newly resurfaced roads round your way are that good I'm almost certain that you live near the Council Offices. I've seen that sort of corruption before.

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Tax, tax, tax!

The road tax DOES NOT go towards road repairs, that stopped years ago. The main problem we have is that the MP's drive cars, and only cars, so are in all probability, bike haters, so we have to pay to fund the cars that are virtually free to tax, they reduce the tax for one group, and raise it for another.

All this rubbish about the enviroment is codswallop, they need to stop cutting down the rain forests and tax the heck out of house builders, but they'll not do either because councils earn money and get roads built for free from housing estates and who would fund a war to protect the rain forests, unless they were full of oil of course.

If the enviroment was a huge concern, then why tax bikes off the road? My wife's car is cheaper to tax than my ZZR1400, where the heck is the sense in that? And my Volvo V70 is only £45 a year more than my bike!!!

And please, please, please claim from your local council if your bike or car is damaged by a pot hole, they have a duty of care for all road users, don't be fobbed off either, take it to court if you have too.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices