Skip to content

Discuss This Bike test rules relaxed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bike test rules relaxed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bike test rules relaxed

The motorcycle test has been changed in a bid to improve safety. Changes are introduced today to the off-road part of the exam in the hope of cutting the number of learners who crash taking it. It marks victory in an MCN campaign for a shake-up of the test after 45 learners crashed in the first nine weeks following its 2009 introduction....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (16 May 2011 09:00)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Breadman

May 09

Breadman says:

test

Personally I think this is a mistake. Although the argument could be used that making the test difficult would put off people learning to ride I think whats more important is people are trained well before hitting the roads, If someone really wants to ride they will jump through whatever hoops are put in their way. Thats why I think the new test was on the right lines and driving test for cars needs a significant shake up. Also everyone should have to pass a form of ability test every 10 years. I passed the new style test last year and really it was easy. I didn't understand then or now why people where getting worked up about it... let alone crashing. I thought at the time if people can't perform these simple maneuvers then its probably a very good thing they aren't on the roads. I am still not sure what the actual real world relevance of the specific maneuvers where in every case but I don't see that as being the point. I found that what the exercises did do was produce basic bike handling and confidence. Especially using the brakes which as a learner rider is very important. I think the test should go further and be even more technical. The only bad point of the test I could see was not enough test centres which caused some folks all kinds of issues and was ridiculous.

Reply to this Topic
sahome

Aug 09

sahome says:

WTF???

Are they serious...1MPH. that will obviously make a huge difference to people....

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

So it was MCN what done it then??

and no mention of the sustained work by MAG, BMF,MCIA??(Obviously i'm wasting my subs with them all I need to do is buy MCN each week!)

"As a motorcyclist, I know how important it is that our motorcycle test prepares new riders for real life on the road"
Wonder when he took his test then? Look forward to the manoeuvres being incorporated into on road test (should free up some land that Exchequer can now sell at a considerable loss in respect of their original construction costs)can I buy a ticket to watch at some of the "busier" London test sites.

GV8

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

Test

"The changes are an interim measure ahead of the off-road section being scrapped and the manoeuvres incorporated into the on-road part of the exam."

Will the really do a swerve test on road? Sounds sensible.

I passed the new test last year and agree with Breadman that it is pretty easy. The swerve is the equivalent of nipping round a drain cover. However I did the test on a 500 and I can imagine that getting a 125 up to speed in the same distance is trickier. However changing the controller stop is ridiculous. If you can't stop a bike from under 30 mph (bearing in mind you can roll off the gas for the swerve as soon as you pass the speed trap) in the distance allowed then maybe you're not ready for a licence.  I had to stay away from the brakes at first otherwise I'd have stopped short.

Also, thinking about it the swerve is a test of emergency avoidance so I would question it's usefulness given that you are required to perform it, thus not making it an emergency.

Reply to this Topic
cwmdufarm

Jan 09

cwmdufarm says:

test is pretty easy

i passed my tests nearly 2 years ago now and i was on a 125 "crapbox". it is very strange that they test you to avoid something while completely pinning the throttle to get up to the speed. the rest of the test is self explanitory. reasonably easy. juts the wrong thing to do, accelerate toward a hazard and blat the throttle round it.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

New Riders..

Will still be crashing and being injured as long as the swerve test is included in the examination.

Reply to this Topic
d0nkeychop

May 10

d0nkeychop says:

Hmmmm

I agree with Breadman: ' I thought at the time if people can't perform these simple maneuvers then its probably a very good thing they aren't on the roads'. But then I passed it without crashing so I would think that.

I think the off road mod 1 IS an easier way to get your manoevers out of the way, nice level tarmac, no traffic. But I'm also not of the mindset that we should be setting folk up to crash and injure themselves, I reckon scrapping the bloke with a clipboard won't do any harm. Let the eye of experience on the pan euro behind the rider be the judge.

Do you think we could have the mod 1 test grounds for post test knee down and wheelie training instead???

Reply to this Topic
Gstan

Nov 10

Gstan says:

If you can figure out how to crash on the swerve and stop then you shouldnt be given a full liscense, you only have to go 12 inches to the side to miss the cone, if you cant swerve a foot at 30mph then stop safely then what is wrong with you, I passed first time with 1 minor on the mod 1, and didnt have any prior training other than a cbt.

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

Mod 1

should be marked by instructors as the cbt is

Reply to this Topic
sdarks

Apr 11

sdarks says:

I agree with GSTAN, if you crash in a car park because you cant avoid a cone at 31mph the you should not be on the road. The test is bloody easy already passed mine without any lessons first time i learnt more in my CBT!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices