Skip to content

Discuss This Have you crashed on stone chip surfacing? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Have you crashed on stone chip surfacing?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Have you crashed on stone chip surfacing?

MCN is investigating stone chip road surfacing after receiving reports of crashes from readers. According to the Road Surface Treatments Association there has been a "massive" increase in use of the stone chip by local authorities trying to cut costs. The technique, also called 'surface dressing' relies on passing traffic to embed stone chips onto bitumen. Have you crashed on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (25 May 2011 10:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Wellgofar

Jul 10

Wellgofar says:

Chipping Hell

Did almost shit my pants yesterday following losing the back end on loose chippings on the A32 from Alton to the Meon Valley. A wonderful road usually not in a bad state at all, so why they've put this crap down I don't know. They know bikers love that stretch so maybe they've done it to slow us down, the bastards. Came back a different way only to discover they've also done it on another favourite stretch at Tweezledown, double bastards!! It a no good surface that lasts about 5 minutes having torn the sides off bikes and cars with chip marks! any ideas how to stop them putting this crap on the roads?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I have often come accross gravel on resurfaced roads which at night and in the wet can be very dangerous , during the day its bad enough. I question the wisdom of those who take the decision to use this method but fear the answer is mainly financial. Two wheels and gravel seldom go together safely especially with the less aware or experienced rider,.

In a world of Petty health and safety rules, I cannot believe how this issue is overlooked and can only assume that no-one cares.

Reply to this Topic
vmax4steve

Mar 08

vmax4steve says:

not yet

local council surface dressed almost the entire 13 miles I travel to work. Artics on it straight away causing deep rippling, waited for two weeks before the surplus chippings were swept up and then during the freezing winter the surface was loosened by the frost and chippings everywhere again. I reported this to the council and it took about a month before anything was done about it. I now take the main A road as far as I can before joining this B road that takes me to the works gates, but I still have to travel about five miles on it. Stupid thing is that the council repaired the potholes and patched the bad surface of this road before the surface dressing was applied. It was patchwork and a bit bumpy but 100% better than having this surface dressing applied to it. Engine casings on the bike are now pitted and tar on downpipes and front of engine just will not shift. Fuckers !

Reply to this Topic
bigfoot68

Feb 09

bigfoot68 says:

Hampshire Roads

Really pleased this is getting some attention at last.  They do it every year and it scares the shit out me when I feel the weight come off the handlebars or the rear twitch....and this taking it really easy.  Then you get the wanker in a big Audi or the crappy banger up yer arse and you know that if you go down they'll be running you over just to guarantee serious injury.  If you use the A272 west out of Winchester, then watch out because they put these chippings down a fortnight ago around the nice bends at the Matterley Bowl...  the signs have gone but they have not done a very good of sweeping up after so there's lots of loose stuff in the middle of each lane.  Hopefully this will all get stopped before someone is killed.  In the meantime, best to keep an eye on the surface and stick to the tracks either side of the surplus chippings...

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

Well

any wobble Ive had, Ive been travelling the advised speed (or close to) and controlled the changing conditions...

Ive been riding for less than 3 years on a real bike, and I know full well, people who fall off on scree, fall off in the rain and blame diesel.

Im a firm believer that shitty road surface training should be included in any test as it would save so many people and stop useless riders venturing onto the road who cant even drive a car.

Nuff said.

Reply to this Topic
Ghost-Ranger

May 07

Ghost-Ranger says:

northern ireland

this is a regular occurance by the Doe (roads) ni they also do the jet patching and dont brush away the lose chippings as i found out to my cost 2 years ago on the nice twisty ahoghill road coming out of randalstown banked in to nice left sweeper only fro the front tire to go on the apex because of the jet patch .try to claim of the doe  for them to come back and say they had fixed the road and it was not their fault dropped it in the end as could not finace the case my poor cbr1100 still waiting for me to have the money to fix her :(

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

surface dressing

The problem with this surface is other twat drivers coming the other way with no regard for people on the other side of the road. What I mean generally applies to vans and other larger vehicles higher up off the ground, who speed through on this surface flicking up a load of stones and smashing my bike up when I'm going the other way. I think they must do it on purpose. Sometimes the councils take weeks to run the road sweepers over, it should be after 2-3 days.

Reply to this Topic
mark3evo

Mar 09

mark3evo says:

surface dressing

i crashed on this loose scree back in 1985, fortunately i was in an Opel Manta, on the leeds ring road, near horsforth

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Road Safety?

In 2010, The A559 near Northwich was resurfaced in parts, using this dangerous technique. One "S" bend was so lethal that it moved me to complain to the "Cheshire Safer Roads Partnership" that this practice was dangerous and that they, as a "Safety Partnership",  should  look into it as a matter of urgency. No prizes for guessing their response - they only operate "speed" cameras - road condition is nothing to do with them!

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

So apart from

one person in 1985 (in a car!) the answer would appear to be NO one has crashed on surface dressing?

So we really can't make much of a case for not using it then??

GV8

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices