Skip to content

Discuss This British MotoGP: Stoner takes pole position MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > British MotoGP: Stoner takes pole position

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

British MotoGP: Stoner takes pole position

Repsol Honda rider Casey Stoner will start tomorrow's Silverstone MotoGP from pole position after battling with Jorge Lorenzo and Marco Simoncelli for the entirity of the session. Stoner set the fastest lap with a 2'02.020 to beat Simoneclli by 0.188sec but Italian Simoncelli came close to taking pole position on his final lap. The Honda rider was 1.001sec faster than Stoner,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (11 June 2011 15:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stormr

Aug 02

stormr says:

Best Bike

Funny how now that Stoner is riding the Honda it's become the "best bike" LOL

Last year Pedrosa scored 4 wins and Dovizioso managed 7 podiums yet it was freely acknowledged that the Yamaha was the "best bike" because these results were a days march behind Lorenzo's 9 wins. 

This year Lorenzo/M1 is again leading the championship, whilst Pedrosa and Dovizioso are out of contention but suddenly the RCV is the best bike???

At the pre-season tests Stoner was hard pressed to find any improvements in the 2011 bike over the 2010.

What's changed??? 

Stoner is simply riding the Honda harder and faster than anyone else, just like he did the Ducati.........

Meanwhile, the GOAT has "developed" the Ducati into a PIG - genius

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

To be fair

I would say the RCV was probably the best bike for much of last year as well, pedrosa was starting to beat lorenzo on a regular basis until he had the accident due to the throttle issue, or maybe dani is just a faster rider than jorge.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

well said stormr

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

Team orders within Honda 'Stoner27'?...

I agree with you (thats twice now :lol:). I said it after the last race but got slammed for it, lol. Water off a ducks back and all that. HRC have finally got the perfect package; rider, bike, type, team combo is way ahead of the rest. However, should Stoner fall and break a collar bone, leg or wrist they will have had all their eggs in one basket big time. Then they're screwed.

Regards this season, its turned into a complete farse at only round 6. To have the other riders unable to catchup makes this current Championship a cracking joke. The Yams are closest but don't look a threat to be fair. Rossi will be glad he's still the fan and media (face of Motogp) favorite because that bikes the worst evolution Ducati have released. That whole package needs rebuilding. Maybe they couldn't be arsed anymore? I think the years of the Jap bikes are still in his head. Shame for everyone wanting a battle. He'll work his way through the pack but...his Championship is dead now. Oh well. Lol. Its not like he's never won one is it?

Silverstone will be buzzing if there's some racing but I'm afraid most people will be quite angry at paying what they have to see another Honda runaway. Yes, the select few will praying they get exactly that. F1 overtakes and a Repsol 25 secs out front. I may be wrong and Sim and Lorenzo take a fight to the front but...we'll see.

Still, 2012 brings rule changes, new teams and a fresh approach. Maybe we could see a return to having multiple riders at the front not just a few. When was the last Championship that went to the last round? Haydens win in 2006? :upset:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Elbowz11

Nov 10

Elbowz11 says:

Best bike thing.

I don't know which is the best but over the last two three years it has been the Yamaha. The only reason IMO Honda are doing well is the talent they bought in Stoner and the way he rides is a worry for the rest of the field what else poaching Yamaha technicians and a data tech along with it one of the reasons why that bike is finally getting somewhere in the championship they pushed the organisers into.

As for Rossi he has a hard job along with JB to eliminate the problems of last year the Ducati had.

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

Best Bike-Casey

Poor old Casey,every time he wins a championship people say that he had the best bike & that it was'nt his ability but the bike.It looks like the same thing will happen this year & I do feel sorry for Casey when these coments are made.

My opinion is this,yes Casey had a very fast bike in 2007 but it was a beast to ride & he won races in the wet as well as the dry,the other Ducatis where no where to be seen.It was Caseys skill & ability that won him the championship with the help of a very fast bike.

This year the situation is a bit different,the Honda is very fast & is'nt a beast to ride.All the other Hondas are doing very well & are getting exellent results.Dani would have been doing very nicely had it not been for his acident & the injurys he has substained & Marco is looking good.

However Casey is world class & his speed & skill is amazing.Im shore that if you put Casey on a Yamaha or back on the Ducati he would still get good results & be challenging Lorenzo,but on the Honda he is almost unbeatable.Casey made an exellent carear move last year & its paying off but regardless of bike Casey is one of the best Moto GP riders ever & is a match for Lorenzo,Rossi,Dani & all the rest.

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

Dovi does it again

Doing a pretty good job at staying in the frame for a factory job somewhere could snag a top 3 in the championship simoncellis seat at gresini would be the logical fit, marco should be happy to be the new british schoolgirls favorite and go on tour with block party or something.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Well said Lorenzo99! I don't think Casey will give a toss as to what others will say if he wins this year's championship frankly. There'll come a time when it will be obvious to most that it takes real talent to win in the MotoGP whether it is a championship, a race or even a pole position. As far as I'm concerned, all the guys in the motoGP are legends.

What we see here also is how important the bike is. In the past we'd often hear how it's 80% rider, 20% bike or whatever ratio. When a deadset legend like Rossi can't qualify within seconds of the pole, it is clear that the bike and crew are just as important. In the case of Ducati, it's a case of forgoing all their years of experience by trying something new and ultimately failing. I'm sure they'll go back and change the bike's design at some point.

Anyway, well done Stoner and Honda.

Let's hope we get to see some racing this year!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices