Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati undecided on whether to race in Japan MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati undecided on whether to race in Japan

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati undecided on whether to race in Japan

Ducati has still not fully committed to participating in the Japanese MotoGP race in early October because of fears about the safety of the Fukushima nuclear plant. The circuit's proximity to the Fukushima nuclear plant, which was badly damaged in the devastating earthquake that struck Japan in March, has caused widespread paranoia in the paddock over fears about radiation levels. Valentino Rossi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 September 2011 09:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Ducati and Co are just following Rossi's lead on this. Whatever the rights and wrongs of going to Japan are, and there has been plenty written about it on the MCN forums! Ducati would have supported Rossi's stance from day one had he been in favour of going to Japan.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

How come, when a thread re Stoner and JL 'boycotting Motegi' the posts were full of Rossi fanboys slating both riders? This thread is so much quieter............ for some reason. Just an observation. And i'll say once again for the record....................As this is a matter outside of the usual 'dangers' of racing, i fully support  the decisions made by anyone involved.

Reply to this Topic
mashedguy

Jun 08

mashedguy says:

given the amount of xrays these guys have in the course of a few seasons, who knows, what effects the background radiation may have later on,  and with the many differing reports coming from japan i wouldnt take the risk.   think that's why casey's mrs is banging one out now, in case he come's back shooting blanks!!

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Fukishima/Spindizzy & the rest (2)...

Last Friday came the alarming news from Japan’s nuclear agency that the amount of radioactive cesium that has so-far leaked from the tsunami ravaged Fukushima nuclear plant is equal to 168 Hiroshima atomic bombs. Apparently, the damaged plant has released 15,000 tera becquerels of cesium-137, which has a half-life of 30 years and causes cancer, compared with the 89 tera becquerels released by the American World War II bomb. But many experts warn that the crisis is just beginning.

Professor Tim Mousseau, a biological scientist who has spent more than a decade researching the genetic impact of radiation around Chernobyl, says he worries that many people in Fukushima are “burying their heads in the sand.” His Chernobyl research concluded that biodiversity and the numbers of insects and spiders had shrunk inside the irradiated zone, and the bird population showed evidence of genetic defects, including smaller brain sizes. The problem is that the reliability of claims from TEPCO, NISA and the Japanese Government are – as we have reported before – highly questionable. All three bodies have a major credibility crisis, with clear evidence that they colluded to cover up evidence that they knew the nuclear reactors melted down within hours of the March 11 tsunami. The reason for this seems to be that Japan is highly dependent on nuclear energy for its power needs, such that NISA has become more or less a branch of TEPCO – with staff perenially shuffling between the two bodies – and with a Japanese Government that is primarily concerned with talking down the extent of the crisis to avoid widespread panic amongst the Japanese population and allay rumblings about the viability of nuclear power.
In an article entitled ‘Why the Fukushima disaster is worse than Chernobyl’, UK’s The Independen tnewspaper expresses the bewilderment and widespread lack of confidence felt by many people, including those in Japan, about the official Japanese reports and responses to this dire calamity: Some scientists say Fukushima is worse than the 1986 Chernobyl accident, with which it shares a maximum level-7 rating on the sliding scale of nuclear disasters….Chris Busby, a professor at the University of Ulster…said the disaster would result in more than 1 million deaths. “Fukushima is still boiling its radionuclides all over Japan,” he said. “Chernobyl went up in one go. So Fukushima is worse.”

In light of all this and what I posted several weeks ago – you can stick Dorna’s bought and paid-for “independent report” that would have used great slabs of faulty data right up where the Sun doesn’t shine. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Fukishima/Spindizzy & the rest (1)...

First: quite hilarious the so obvious different standard that Stoner & Lorenzo are held to when compared with Rossi - exactly as you say, PaceyCasey. Their opinions are just dross & excuses whereas any identical utterance from the great one is a fabulous & profound truth and should be graven in stone. Embarrassing, isn’t it? As I stated elsewhere, the scales are starting to fall from the biased, headline-hunting for controversy, eyes of the commentariat now. But there are more important piscatorial matters to fry here just now than to reiterate the bleeding obvious...

Two: One suspects spindizzy, when not posing as a motorcycle racing fan, is a stooge/apologist for the nuclear industry. First – he diminishes & demeans Dr Helen Caldicott as some mere suburban “children’s doctor”. Actually, Caldicott lectured and taught paediatrics at the prestigious Harvard Medical School that enjoys a towering World-wide reputation. I would rather imagine that a woman of her professorial intellect and deep appreciation of radiation effect on paedeatrics/genetics etc wouldn’t have too much trouble grasping the essentials of nuclear physics, radiation and chemistry – all of these being pre-requisite knowledge for medical diagnostic technology – but then a shallow flake with an agenda like spindizzy maybe wouldn’t realise that?

Caldicott abandoned her stellar medical career immediately after the 1980 Three Mile Island nuclear accident to focus all her attention on exposing the mis-information, disinformation and minimalisation of risk etc fed to the media and public by the nuclear industry. Chernobyl, just 6 years later proved her 100% correct but these incidents were so long ago, an emboldened industry has recently emerged to try and play-down just how appallingly BAD the 1986 Ukraine incident really was. This flake attempts to minimise the Japanese situation by playing-off one academic and environmental warrior against another – perhaps they have clashed in the past as Academics so often do. No matter, facts matter more than opinions. Here are some to consider...

Reply to this Topic
bruce1937

Jul 11

bruce1937 says:

Ducatis dwindling engine supply for the year could also be a factor in the decision.

It would be highly embarrassing if a well used engine drops its guts at the final round of the year.

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Have to say Bruce...

I had similar thoughts... As well as the very real fear of radiation, I think they are also thinking they could save the usage on one of the engines so that they don't have to start from pit lane at the end of the season..

I still think they should hold off on going though as i personally think that Dorna would sell their collective Grandmothers in order to stage this race and i wouldn't beleive what they have paid to have written in that report! They are not bothered about the future health of their current riders, all they are bothered about is the spondoolies in their pockets! Tossers!! Stick to your guns boys and don't back down...!

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

WHO CARE????

he go or not, who cares??? it'll not change their standing in championship. that's why ducati don't care about not going. infact, with the time, they maybe can test 1000cc with 800cc camuflage. LOL.

Reply to this Topic
Moaner

Jun 11

Moaner says:

Give your arse a rest Biasedking

And stop talking out of it!! God you are boring...

Reply to this Topic
mcbainuk

Sep 09

mcbainuk says:

good post aquarius

Some good info there.

Fair play to any rider who sticks to his guns over this. Yes racing is dangerous but it's a danger over which they have a measure of control. There's no control over Fukushima and it's still pumping out hot particles etc..

I certainly wouldn't go, and I wouldn't trust a Dorna commissioned report on safety....it's not like they have a vested interest in the race going ahead is it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices