Skip to content

Discuss This Bikers asked for views on anti-tampering plans General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bikers asked for views on anti-tampering plans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bikers asked for views on anti-tampering plans

British motorcyclists have been asked for views on a raft of European proposals for bikes including mandatory ABS and measures to prevent tuning. A consultation launched by the Department for Transport gives riders until October 28 to respond. Roads Minister Mike Penning said: "This is a chance for both motorcycle manufacturers and riders to have their say on this new EU Regulation. ...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 September 2011 12:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

A feck

No doubt they will have their way and spoil the fun of servicing your bike at home... to the best of my knowledge most bikers enjoy working on their own and also love the money savings too... we have a ride out protest on the 25th of this month but its not going to make a difference .... its a pain in the arse...

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

comment

first word sounds like puck and the 2nd is off to the whole lot of ideas.  I want ABS on my next bike but in years time i might want a superbike without.  I for one will be sending this guy an email and if it does come in buy a couple of older bikes to keep in the garage for future generations

Reply to this Topic
theastro

Sep 11

theastro says:

What a total waste of time all this is. 

They should be encouraging motorcycle use not attacking it :-S

They even want to lower "sound level  limits" to big bikes to 80db!

Reply to this Topic
jimcrowder

Oct 10

jimcrowder says:

Hidden legislation?

I'm certainly not happy with the idea that some of these changes will not be published until they have been agreed.

"24.
The proposal requires measures to prevent tampering of a vehicle's power-train with the aim of preventing modifications that may prejudice safety and to prevent damage to the environment. Details of the measures are not included in the proposal and will be laid down later in a delegated act."

Doesn't look right to me.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

"Tamper"

I don't like the terminology here - it indicates the mindset behind this proposed legislation.  "Tamper" means interfere in order to cause damage or make unauthorised modifications.   Presumably one wouldn't damage their own bike, so we're talking about unauthorised modifications.  Unauthorised.  You do not have authorisation to modify your own bike.  You need someone else's permission to make any changes to your own property.

Is this just for bikes, or will it catch all these scrotes in their chavved-up Corsa's too?   I'm sure as hell they don't tell their insurance companies about their modifications (sorry, "tampering").  If not, why just pick on bikes again, and again, and again?

Reply to this Topic
bikenutter

Dec 10

bikenutter says:

We can all send letters but we need MCN's help

All this legislation needs to be attacked from all fronts by all bikers, but we need ammunition in the form of statistics and safety tests etc from motorcycling groups, I will, like many others write to dispute these changes but I have very little evidence of how things like linked brakes and allways on lights are dangerous or not proven to be safe.

Reply to this Topic
LukeZX6

May 09

LukeZX6 says:

. . .

And what will this achieve? Nothing. Will it increase car drivers awareness of motorcycles on the road? No. Will they impose this new system to cars? No. Will it piss everyone off? Yes. 

Why is the government bothering with this? Their are so many other ways to increase motorcycle saftey. Car drivers don't hear standard exhausts as well when compared to aftermarket ones. There really is no point to this, it will truly cripple motorcycling for europe. 

Sort it out

Reply to this Topic
confederate

Sep 11

confederate says:

There is an on-line government petition regarding these EU proposals, http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/5334
Let them know what you think.

The Motorcycle Action Group are also organising a national protest ride for 25th September. Visit the MAG website for your local protest ride. If you value the freedom to make any changes to your bike, I suggest you take part.

Reply to this Topic
fzr_paul

May 07

fzr_paul says:

Eu Hands Off Me Bike

i Don't think the idea of buying and using an older bike will work, they wanna ban anything over 7 yrs old from urban areas, home servicing will go, alterations to your sprockets, Tyres chains tec, data loggers are go for them the police and vosa, i hate using a tacho in me lorry, let alone having the same sort of thing on my bike, we can all have nice little dayglo numbers (with lights on by compulsion). bet i still get the compulsory SMIDSY. loads more to mention but i getting angry of angry town right now,

Thing is , i getting a bit pi**ed off with people i know who just shrug n say " it will never happen, they wont get it all thru, i gotta mow the car that sunday or wash the lawn ". Time we got out there and got some people to start to take notice of this, if u dont atleast give up a couple hrs and a few quid for petrol on the 25th, dont cry like a baby when u cant ride ter pride n joy no more, u aint earnt the right IMHO.

ps.. dont forget to email yer EMPs at the very least , my replies so far UKIP voting against, liberals not decided, still waiting for the others to reply, think i`ll go jog their collective memories.

Ride safe, n Freedom aint Free, it Comes at a Price

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

tell them to get stuffed and to stay away from things they do not understand these meddling ignorant fools

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices