Skip to content

Discuss This Do we need electronic rider aids? You decide. General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Do we need electronic rider aids? You decide.

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

Do we need electronic rider aids? You decide.

Hi, it’s Michael Neeves, Senior Road tester here and I’m looking for willing volunteers to help me with a road test feature. I would like to invite a couple of you to try some bikes fitted with and without traction control and ABS, to see what you think of electronic rider aids. The bikes would include the 2012 R1, so only...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 November 2011 15:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Brilliant

What a brilliant offer.

MCN should do this with other road tests too. Stick me down for a Speed Triple R test Neevesy.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

wookie....

even with all the aids, a rider still has the upper hand,..... it's called "The Brain" the Human Brain, when engaged, works quite well when danger is detected , but Health and safety is there just in case (for Dumb Asses).

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Mr Neeves

Having endured the many posts submitted by the notorious Gixercarl regarding the many advances in rider aids and in particular the BMW 1000RR I am led to the conclusion that HE is a stooge, an invention of MCN'S Imagination, An employee of MCN, A Bloke called Reg from Twatstible in Kent who likes Lycra or more than likely is just a COCK. With a very small c.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

So MCN want to do an off road control test to show how electronic rider aids make riding safer.

Playing right into the Eurocrats hands hey ?

The answer is no, fuck off.

Reply to this Topic
bloodhand

Feb 09

bloodhand says:

In a word NO. Stop sanitizing our passion. Its man and machine not man in conjunction with machine.

Reply to this Topic
tezakalogreza

Nov 11

no we don't especially traction control optional ABS is ok

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

Buy pre 2005.. fuck electronics!

Reply to this Topic
markfireblade

Aug 02

I've said before on lots of occasions and on more than this forum, but the relentless chase of race inspired road bikes is a fruitless exercise. No one needs all the techno stuff on a motorcycle unless you happen to be chasing an ultimate lap time. We seeing en ever increasing number of naked streetfighter style bikes and "advetnure" bikes as the superbikes become more and more out of reach of the common rider both cost wise and ride-ability - It's one reason why Triumph's sales have improved so much. less race focused mean better bikes for everyone. No one - however much of a hero they imagine they are will ever use anything like the potential of an RSV4 APRC, Panigale or BMW1000RR. As such they become nothing more than a pub car park pose. MCN continues to test these bikes at foreign race tracks and delight in informing the reader of their utter brilliance, but we need manufacturers to step away from building a bike that can win races and build bikes we can use in the real world.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Learn to ride better

I have traction control and ABS, its my right hand. If conditions are slippery, I slow down.

I firmly believe that these rider aids are unnecessary and that riders would benefit from honing their skills, rather than relying on electronics. If you need traction control to get all the power down, chances are you're trying to put too much power down for the conditions. In essence, you are a poor rider. Go and take some lessons.

To learn some traction skills, ride through the winter and learn how to handle your bike.

For older riders returning to bikes after a long time out, please, please dont buy an R1 or anything like it. Your death will only increase the likelihood of draconian anti-biking measures. Re-learn your skills on something unthreatening and build up to the superbike you dream of.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Luddites?

I suppose those of us who say "no" will be classed as luddites, but my concern is that additional electronic aids=additional initial expense=additional complication=additional service costs further down the ownership line, ie for most of us who cannot afford ( or are unwilling to pay) upwards of £12k for a bike, but inhabit the "previously cherished" part of the market!

I'll go along with switchable ABS, but as for the rest, I think that buyers in the used market might be quite wary of possible expensive running costs and vote with their wallets, which could make technology-rich bikes difficult to sell in this sector.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices