Ask an Expert VTR in the rain Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > VTR in the rain

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

foghornleghorn

Nov 11

VTR in the rain

I got a VTR 1000 firestorm last october and love it!!!

The only problem is, it's prone to losing power and then cuts out completely when its raining. Living in the west of Scotland....thats not good news. it's really made me nervous about driving when theres a chance it might rain.

I fitted a fenda extenda to the front and had the spark plug caps replaced at the last service, but i'm still having trouble in the wet. It seemed to get better for a while but didnt last long. Can anyone recommend a solution please? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 November 2011 22:10)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

driving?

Welcome f***************************n,sounds like you need  the coils,h.t. leads and spark plug caps sealing from the elements.

Also what`s the battery voltage reading at 4/5000rpm with lights on? 

Reply to this Topic
MadDogDoug

Nov 07

MadDogDoug says:

Rain

I have had the same sort of problem with a Blackbird.Runs fine in the dry and then within a couple of minutes of rain it cuts out and dies?

If it happens again open the fuel filler cap and ride with it open. If it keeps on running with cap open in the rain then there is an issue with fuel filler cap. Water gets around the inside rim of the cap stopping the fuel breather hole doing its job under the cap assembly. I believe a new assembly will fix the fault. This is what I was advised recently but haven't had a chance to find out yet. I could be completely wrong and await shooting down by those far more technical than me :winkie: 

Reply to this Topic
mallic

Nov 10

mallic says:

Fuel cap

Hi MadDog,filler caps on most bikes have a drainhole which gets blocked,worth a check,find the drainhole put some water around the cap, have a poke with a suitable piece of wire and water should drain away  under the engine.  

Reply to this Topic
foghornleghorn

Nov 11

VTR in rain

Thanx. Got it in the garage just now, lousy weather anyway!!

Is there a sealant to use or is it better to replace the parts?

Not sure how to check the voltage either but willing to learn:unsure:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices