Skip to content

Discuss This MEP to visit dealership to answer questions General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MEP to visit dealership to answer questions

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

MEP to visit dealership to answer questions

South of England MEP Peter Skinner will be at P&H Motorcycles in Sussex on Saturday January 14 to answer your questions about upcoming EU biking legislation. A statement from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) stated: “With the raft of changes being proposed within the EU, this is a real opportunity for bikers to get to speak to someone who can really...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 January 2012 14:41)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Disgrace

Ditto what snev said, plus he probably has no idea about biking, and only cares about how much he can get in expenses. I just bet he's claiming a fortune to turn up on that day.

How in the hell can unelected people run Europe? When we signed up to the EU we disrespected EVERYONE who died to keep this country free from european rule in the two world wars, SHAME ON US!!!

Reply to this Topic
triumphttnut

Jan 09

triumphttnut says:

I'm not a fan of overly intrusive European legislation and I abhor this proposal. However, I'm also not a fan of people who talk utter rubbish and spout incorrect generalisations... blue200tdi and snev, European elections are run every five years. If you want to have a say, go out and vote instead of grumbling to friends and the internet audience. You've both clearly been reading the Daily Mail too long and haven't bothered to inform yourselves properly about how the EU works. Until that attitude is remedied in this country, we will continue to feel disaffected by "Europe". I suggest you attend this event and listen twice as much as you talk, you've got two ears and one mouth for a reason. Here's a good starting point which should be accessible to all readers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament#Elections

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Yes

Yes we elect MEPs but its knobs like mandelson who run the show, appointed, not elected.  From what I can tell from my local MEP he listens to the pressure groups and votes accordingly.  He has not hered from MAG or the BMF and considering he is on the commitie for security of the european parliment never even hered about the demo!

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

I aint...

changing my Yoshimura for no one whatever happens

Reply to this Topic
JamesQGM

Feb 10

JamesQGM says:

triumphttnut

Finally someone talking sense re: the EU on this forum.

Reply to this Topic
triumphttnut

Jan 09

triumphttnut says:

Touche snev regarding the daily mail point, that was a little too personal. But the crux of my argument still stands and that is this: if citizens of EU states made more effort to inform themselves about and engage with the workings of the EU, then there might be a chance for change in accordance with the actual will of the populous. Of course, most people unfortunately don't have time for this and the information that they are generally exposed to in absence of going out in search of good information is tainted. Btw., remember that Peter Skinner isn't the only UK MEP. But he is the only one who's at least trying to meet bikers face-to-face; surely he should be given a bit more credit than the others who have yet to put their heads above the parapet. I say good on him for trying and we shouldn't be so quick to blast him; otherwise we'll just end up scaring all MEP's from public engagements. We can be a pretty intimidating lot, us bikers :-P EU policy making IS shaped by Britain; quite significantly so. But an interesting point to note is that individual governments sometimes like to blame/frame the EU (quite convincingly) when they want to pass unpopular legislation which would make them look bad. It's easier to blame a 3rd party than take the hit at the opinion polls by owning up to the fact it's your idea. But you find that when it comes to the crunch, no one wants to really leave the EU. Take this for an example, a few months ago there was mega-hype about Britain leaving the EU (before the PM used the veto). Europe was very unpopular in people's minds at that point due to all the measures that the government told us we had had to take because of EU oppression. But when it came to comments on leaving the EU what was the official government line? "leaving the EU is not the right thing to do", oh and so that they didn't sound too wimpish they added "...at this time". Cue press field day... Carlosoul, I completely agree haha, I won't change my bike at all either ;-P

Reply to this Topic
banditsprint

Oct 08

banditsprint says:

read?

the daily sport?? now you're taking things too far.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

I praise him for taking the time to meet bikers, on our ground for a chat...but having the spine to stand up in Parliament like a dog with a bone and fight for our rights is another thing altogether..we will see.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices