Skip to content

Discuss This George White goes into administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > George White goes into administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

George White goes into administration

George White Motors, the UK’s leading motorcycle dealer group, has gone into administration this morning, MCN has learnt. Rumours of the closure began circulating early this morning with suggestions that staff at its dealerships in Swindon, Plymouth and Torbay had been made redundant. The shock news was then confirmed at around 11am to MCN by owner Steve Gannicott who said the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 January 2012 11:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Very sad

seeing 4 artic trailers outside the Plymouth Branch, being loaded up with the bikes on Wednesday and another couple yesterday.:upset:

I feel for the staff and families. The workers there were all a good bunch. I hope they all get sorted with work as soon as. 

Reply to this Topic
superevent

Jan 12

superevent says:

Profit

I agree with unk13. It must be a bloody nightmare people coming in to your shop, try something on, look at it whatever (in short take full advantage of your expensive showroom) to then go off and buy it on the NET cheaper. When things go wrong "mr Internet, of course not round the corner to put it right" My local bike shop GEDGES of Sussex have always been fabless in every single dealing I've had with them. I can buy cheaper, you can always buy cheaper thatsvthecway life is. But..... They are still there (none of em making so much money they are driving rollers) but hopefully making money, and the business being long term, today and tomorrow profitable and sustainable for the benefit of the seller and buyer. It is foolish to pay too much this is clear, but far far more foolish to not pay enough. It is not enough to say it does not matter how little you pay because it's covered by warranty. Gedges have gob Ne far over and beyond for me, far more than simple warranty, and actually have busted their arse, have put some work in. I have PROFITED by their efforts. Pay that little bit more, to get a lot more. Regards to all.

Reply to this Topic
superevent

Jan 12

superevent says:

The uk leading motorcycle group. Er..... What does this mean exactl? Just what do you have to do to prove you are the uk leading motOr cycle group. Do you have to sell loads (great numbers please manufacturers) of bikes Do you have to make mooney Do you have to have flashy chrome ang D glass showrooms? The reality is, they were not as MCN describe them in this article the uk leading motorcycle group. Sorry MCN they are not, and clearly have not been for some time. What they did was to shift a load of cheap bikes. However, I'm not sure this grand act is worthy of a title of the uk leading motorcycle group. Now, my local bike shop (they have a couple or three) outlett I believe has been in the same family for nigh on a hundred years. Does this give them the title of the uk leading motorcycle group. Providing great service for over 100 years is the reason this business survives, as the others...... Come...... And go. Just how do we achieve this grand title of the uk leading motorcycle group. Quite, quite bizarre really!!!!

Reply to this Topic
robp1988

Jan 12

robp1988 says:

I made a post a while ago titled "Paid for in full but no bike to ride!"

I would like to take this oppertunity to thank everybody involved at HONDA that has helped me get on my bike.

I paid for it on Tue 17th Jan (supposed to pickup on Sat 21st Jan)

GW when into administration on Thur 19th Jan

A few phone calls made to GW, administration and HONDA.

Honda arranged over the week to get me another bike. (I have had no additional expense)

Saturday 28th Jan, picked up my brand new bike from another HONDA dealer 'Bransons Motorcycles' in Gloucester - could not fault a single aspect of their service.

Great service from HONDA (the staff will be recognised for their flawless customer service skills)

And to top it all off, I am loving my bike...

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

into biking

I am truly sorry to see GW go under, it is such a shame that they could not get their business practice right.I bought two brand new bikes off them and practically all my kit at a price I could otherwise not afford. I now use a local Honda dealer at Torbay motorcycles in Newton Abbot who are brilliant and look after the servicing of my CBR600F 2011 and I am interested in the new NC700S when it comes out as I am a high mileage rider 20,000 a year and the fuel consumption looks good on that bike.But for bargains and getting people onto bikes GW will be hard to beat. Good luck to all the staff who lost their jobs.

Reply to this Topic
ellieb68

Feb 12

ellieb68 says:

I am very saddened to hear this news and glad that I didnt buy a new bike from them last November.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices