Skip to content

Ask an Expert Are IAM tests worthwhile? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Are IAM tests worthwhile?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Are IAM tests worthwhile?

Hi,

18yo here and trying to reduce my insurance and get some confidence on the road. Do you think its worthwhile for me to take my IAM tests in order to prove to the insurance companies I am simply a loony and not a boy racing loony?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 March 2012 17:22)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
triumphrider600

Feb 09

Simply put

Yes, but before the floodgates open, any advanced or aditional training is worthwhile not just IAM. Even if it is only to drop your premium. It will make you a better rider anyway.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

IAM Tests

Yes, the are worthwhile on the basis that they should make you a better, more confident and safer rider.  However, it won't reduce your premiums by more than around 10%.   

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tests

All loonies (bike riders) should  ride as if everbody out there wants to kill you,:shock:

You may survive like me up to now.

I was 18yo in 1972.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

IAM

Yes if you want to survive. No if you want to reduce your premiums. Generally you'll get 5% for IAM although at 18 that may be quite a chunk.

The knowledge and skills you'll gain will be the equivalent to an extra few years riding. These are people who have learnt the hard way and are passing on the lessons they have learned. I would be willing to accept an arrogant attitude - the attitude of some of the people there is what put me off as they see a young person and tend to be wankers about it for some reason. Some of them are amazing though and when someone on a huge tourer can keep up with me almost scraping the pegs on a supermoto through twisties, you know they're worth learning from.

The knowledge you'll gain is worth any arrogance you come across and whilst some people say it takes the fun out of riding it really doesn't. If you find it does - it's your bloody choice if you use it. You'll be well advised to buy motorcycle roadcraft before hand as that has everything you'll need in it.

The other thing is you must ride regularly - some people have to be told to "practice" on their bikes once or twice a week which I find daft. If you're not going out that much in this weather then there's probably little point in taking your riding to an advanced level.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

phil

i agree with 99% of what you say,but... "If you're not going out that much in this weather then there's probably little point in taking your riding to an advanced level"... it's just the sort of throw away comment that puts people off getting further training tbh,the holier than tho attitude is never a good one.:unsure:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Arrogance

I found very little of it in my local IAM group. I'm not saying there isn't any, just that I didn't come across very much at all. Although I find "If you're not going out that much in this weather then there's probably little point in taking your riding to an advanced level" extremely arrogant.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

preunit

didn't mean it to sound arrogant - should probably have added on "just yet / wait until it's warmer". It is however true that you have to be willing to take your bike out more than once a weekend to make progress with the training though.

You're both right, does sound pretty c**tish. It's also wrong really.

P.S. Looked at time stamp - was pissed when I wrote it :biggrin:

EDITED to add in 'its wrong'

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

IAM Test

Definately worth doing,

I have to admit you do sometimes feel do I really need to be that good a rider?

The IAM test is simply a test of how good your knowledge of the road craft system and your riding skills in all types of riding situations.

Once you have passed the test, you will have a skill for life and yes we all get a bit rusty but we never forget what we have learned, and you will have a better chance of survival.

A good rider never stops learning.

Take care.

Reply to this Topic
rosshenderson

Apr 12

IAM

passed my IAM test in feb this year (in between snow showers!)

it is very worth while and good fun doing the training. it was a great excuse to get out on the bike every weekend... the missus couldn't say no as i was training to be a safer rider :tongue:

the thing that i was surprized about was the mix of people in the club. i was expecting a bunch of GS riding pensioners :lol:. my instructor rode a fireblade and was pretty quick with it.

i'd encorage anyone to give it a go. the first session is usually free so theres nothing to loose :smile

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

IAM Observers

Good point Ross,

About the mix of riders, yes there are many advanced riders that ride BMW GS's and as you found out some also ride sports bikes.

I am an observer myself and ride a GSXR 750, I have used my bike for training and at Mallory on several Occasions, but it's time for a change and choosing the right next bike for me, something that is comfortable and ticlks all the boxes. I did consider a BMW GS but now more towards the Triumph Tiger 800xc.

You can't judge how good a rider is by the bike they ride, but you can by the way they ride it.

For anyone thinking of doing advanced training with the IAM Forget about what bikes they ride, its the knowledge and riding skills you gain that are important. :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices