Skip to content

General Looking to buy first bike... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Looking to buy first bike...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ecafisac

May 12

ecafisac says:

Looking to buy first bike...

Hello All,

I am currently looking at buying my first motorcycle for CBT and I really like the look of the Cruiser styles. 

So my question is, can anyone offer me any advice on buying a 125 cc Cruiser.. are there any made? what are the best ones to consider?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 May 2012 09:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Learner cruiser

There are a few cruiser style 125cc bikes available (see links):-

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-CA125-Rebel-1995-1999-/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/HONDA-VT125C-Shadow-1999--current/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Yamaha/Yamaha-XV125-1997-2004-/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-GZ125-Marauder-1998-current-/

You must however accept that cruiser style bikes don't have the turning circle, front end feed back, brakes or responsiveness in the corners that more conventional bikes do. You can buy whatever bike you want but you will be slightly hampered doing parts of the CBT test on cruiser style bikes.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

i thought of the virago but

he might only be 16, so I don't think its allowed is it?

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

I learned

on a Yamaha SR125; cruiser stylee

Didn't have a problem with turn in the road or figure 8s - bike is too light to be a problem.

Most 125s have basically same engine, power, etc so you're only really choosing on favourite look. Honda will be a mite's more but will last better and fetch a little more for resale. Elsewise, do what you like

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

125 cruiser.

Nice to ride but I aree with the comment above. They are not as useful as a normal 125 when it comes to turning and slow riding. Also they can be slower to accelerate, due to the extra length and weight.

On the plus side, if you are tall or wide they are much more comfortable or longer rides and they look bigger than a 125. If you want one you could always use a training school bike for CBT and tests and keep the cruiser for all your other riding.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Budget??

How much dosh have you got to spend?

Have you considered the insurance, which if you're starting out, will be a considerable chunk?

Reply to this Topic
ecafisac

May 12

ecafisac says:

Looking to buy first bike...

thank you all for a reply - I am over 21 and have a budget of around 1500.  I probably will use the training centre bike for CBT as suggested and buy myself a cruiser to ride around on... I just love the way they look..

Thanks again

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Pleanty

of mid-size cruisers around. Don't forget to factor insurance into your budget though. If you've done Direct Access, the field of 5-600cc options may well be open to you without the intimidation that comes with other styles of bike of that engine size. Though...you will get many on this site who will be adamant that you need a missile with handlebars or to not bother at all.......:mad:
A cursory look over the bikes for sale page offers the ubiquitous list of Virago 535s, and the odd Suzuki Savage and Kwak EN500; all good choices for a first midsize cruiser. You won't get a Hog or Triumph for your budget, but may get a cheeky offer on a 650 Dragstar accepted. Going up engine size to the 7-800s may knock you out of the 33bhp limit; its up to you if you want to have a newer 250 bike - take a test ride to make your own decision. There used to be a Guzzi Nevada 350, but by now it'll need remedial work (they were never reliable to start with and nearly 2 decades won't have helped), and I doubt you'll find may available.
Otherwise, happy hunting.....

Reply to this Topic
ecafisac

May 12

ecafisac says:

very useful

advice, thank you.  I am certainly looking forward to the journey of discovery that awaits... I did consider going onto Direct Access... but I have to admit, I am a litle intimidated. One step at a time though...*deep breath*

Reply to this Topic
Englishman

Oct 11

Englishman says:

125 'cruisers'

Is it just me, or does the whole concept of a 125 cruiser seem a little bit stupid? Isn't it a bit like having a two-wheel drive 1.0L engine Range Rover look-a-like?

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

no more so

than having a 1li engine in a ferrari lookalike.
Pretty much all 4stroke 125s have around the same power output. The cruisers don't really weigh much more (in my experience anyway - age of model has a bigger bearing on vehicle weight). Sure, they might be a bit lazier, but that's the point. One of those if you need to ask you probably don't understand it deelies that separate the cruisers from the sporties in the bike world

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices