Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati in talks with Cal Crutchlow

Ducati is locked in talks with Cal Crutchlow and has offered the British rider a two-year deal to quit Yamaha next season, MCN can reveal. Crutchlow doesn’t have a contract with his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad for next season and interest in him has rocketed after a stunning start to 2012. The 26-year-old has scored three front row starts and finished...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 June 2012 16:39)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Bultoboy

"Buel - if Ducati are happy with their current two riders, why, if what is reported is correct, have they offered Crutchlow a 2 year contract? They are obviously not happy with at least one of them, or they expect one not to re-sign." You've answered your own question. Both their riders contracts are up at the end of the year, they obviously think it's likely that one or both won't sign again for next year. And who could blame them if they didn't? I should think the person feeling most pissed off with Ducati at the moment is neither Hayden nor Rossi. Barbera has been busting a gut to put himself in front of the factory Ducatis this year. Everybody seems to think that this is because he's after one of the factory seats next year. Now maybe everybody is wrong, but it looks like Ducatia have totally passed him over.

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Stick with Yamaha Cal

It is ironic that Rossi should have left Honda in a huff on the basis that the rider is more important to results than the bike then is left to eat humble pie when Ducati turned out to be the opposite.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

All this "Rossi and Hayden are crap and the Ducati is great" nonsense has to stop. Ducati won the championship once and that was a long time ago now. I know Ducati fans like to think that if only Ducati could sign an alien for 2013 they would win the championship, but its very unlikely. Back in 2007 under the new rules Ducati didn't have the best chassis, what they did have was the best engine. By a distance. Even the mighty Honda were perplexed by how much advantage the desmodromic system gave Ducati on those high revving engines. Of course desmo valves were nothing new, dating back as they do something like a century. Even Honda themselves have used them in the past. Honda and Yamaha were left playing catch up and catch up they did. Not necessarily on engine power, but in building a complete package. Something that Ducati seemed (and still seem) unable to do. Now maybe Ducati tried to build the package that Stoner wanted in 800cc and failed. Or maybe they just went their own way and thought they could continue to win on just the engine. Who knows? But one thing is for sure Stoner proved in 2011 that he is a champion and that the 2007 win hadn't been a fluke. So surely even the most hardcore Ducatisti have to admit that after 2007 the Desmosedici was not the best bike out there. It's not that that I'm not a fan of Ducati. I admire them for sticking it to the Japanese teams. I admire them because even after Suzuki and Kawasaki have quit Ducati are still there and show no signs of following suit. Where my admiration stutters however is their continued belief that they know best. Yes I've heard the stories that the GP12 engine is well short of the litre. I've also heard the theories that the reason for this is so that they could build a massively oversquare engine in order that they could use the desmodromic system's advanatges at high revs. If that is the case then I wonder if their engineers have ever heard the maxim that their ain't no substitute for cubes. Running with the regulations there was no way a smaller capacity engine was going to produce as broad a spread of power as a full litre even if it could match the peak. I know the Ducatisti are setting a lot of store by the factory's promise of a new engine at the half season mark, but again it looks like they are not trying to build a well rounded package. Again they seem to be expecting the engine to sort it. I know Taglioni was an engine man, but he knew how important the chassis was. I wonder what he'd think of their efforts today.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

True Wosi...

"Is it the tyres causing the problem or is the fact they struggle on some bikes more than others a symptom of less effective, chassis/engine characteristic/electronics package/riding style combinations?"

IMO it's the tyres suiting the riding style/chassis/engine characteristic/electronics package of only one factory rider... & not even his team mate.

If all but one who eat a cake get ill is the cake to blame or the constitution of those who got ill?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Rossi and Hayden

are crap. The Ducati is great, it just needs a great rider.

Now Jolly stop with the sanctimonius nonsense - little of which was grounded in fact. What an oddly perverse individual you are, pulling up another for the same fool statement you made earlier in the thread.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Wosi

The session was cut short because of rain. QP you can come back in and get a new tyre, go out and set another fast lap. Raceday you can't, which is why Hayden dropped away

And that's the major point about QP on saturday. How often do the fast boys leave it to the last possible minute to set their fastest time? Almost every race. It's part of the standard tactics. Now I'm not saying that Bautista or Hayden couldn't have set faster times, but you can be damn sure that the times they qualified with would not have put them on the front row had it stayed dry to the end of the session.

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

It's the bike

Hayden used the soft tyre and was competitive for the early part of the race, until the tyres went off. Which suggests that the tyres were too soft. But of course if he uses the harder tyre(as Rossi did), he isn't going to be competitive. If you have a bike that is hard on tyres and therefore have to use a harder compound than your competitors to complete the race, then it stands to reason you are not going to be as fast.  It seems to me that they either need a tyre inbetween the soft and hard tyre or make the bike easier on the tyres.  It was easy years ago because Bridgestone would make them that tyre, but as we are stuck with one tyre for all, making the Ducati to suit the tyre and be competitive, might prove to be very difficult.

BTW Nostro, are you calling all the riders including Stoner crap, as not even he was very competitive in his last few years there.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

This is another odd argument of the Oompa Loompa's

Because Stoner didn't win every damn race whilst at Ducati he's somehow a failure. His record of wins and podiums would most certainly suggest he was almost always competitive and a threat on any given weekend.

Obviously you have a far higher of opinion of Stoner than I our little industiral boiler.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

Nostro

Sorry I don't see your point.

I'm not replying to any particular person, so I'm not pulling any individual up for saying Rossi and Hayden are crap. And I certainly didn't say that they were earlier in the thread. Or at any other time. 

What I am saying is that it is extremely unlikely that two former world champions have suddenly forgotten how to ride. Particularly when Stoner struggled on the Ducati in 2010 and then dominated the following year on a Honda. I can't remember who it was, but a few weeks ago somebody on this forum said that Stoner would win the championship on anything, even a unicycle. By that argument the Ducati, then, must be worse than a unicycle. Of course that argument is as stupid as the Rossi and Hayden are crap argument.

I don't see any examples in the modern era that any rider's form could fall as far as Rossi's supposedly has and for so long. Spies? Nah, he never really had the form in the first place. Ooops. Sorry Milky.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Well Wosi

Fair enough Bulto..although it wasn't a bad effort at Yamaha 2004.

No argument there, the lad can race, no doubt..

Jolly - about the Ducati riders. If it is tru that Ducati have offered a 2 year deal to Crutchlow, obviously we've no idea of the terms if they have, but they are either planning to drop one, expecting one to leave or going to run three bikes - unless the contract is on the proviso that the current two don't re-sign. But how long is Crutcchlow supposed to wait to find out if that is the case. Ducati risk losing him if he signs elsewhere and one of the two should one leave. meaning they have to take someone they maybe wouldn't otherwise have wanted, just to fill a seat.

It's because of the latter scenario, it is reasonable to assume they may believe one rider may be on his way.

All supposition obviously, but it's strange to offer a 2 year deal to a rider when there is no place in the team. Unless 3 bikes is an option. Pramac are bust apparently, so no team there next year, Abraham apparantly doesn't want one as he isn't happy with this year's (which he hasn't even got yet)

3 Dukes a possibility next year?

Buel will be along soon to let us know.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices