Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Tempted by a Chinese bike? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Tempted by a Chinese bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ped Baker  says:

Poll: Tempted by a Chinese bike?

According to figures from the Motorcycle Industry Association, by the end of July new Chinese bikes will outsell new Japanese machines in the UK for the first time ever, mostly as mopeds or scooters. How tempted are you to buy a Chinese bike? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 10:46)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yorkletts

Jul 12

yorkletts says:

I am of an age when Japanese cars and bikes began to be imported into the UK in large numbers.I am also of an age to remember the problems they suffered with rust and parts availability,but they are now products which other's are measured against,and I think Chinese products will,within a few years,be of an equal quality.

I have just bought a Leonart Spyder 125,the same as the AJS Eos in all but name,my first bike for over 35 years and whilst it is only a few weeks old,I am extremely impressed with it and for the princley sum of £3k,where else could you get a full size chopper? I have heard good and bad reviews about these bikes,most of them bad,but as usual it's generally the minority who have had problems that complain the loudest,the ones who are very happy with their bike tend not to shout about it.

Okay'it's not the fastest bike on the road,but when you choose to ride a chopper you choose to cruise around at a more steady pace rather than someone hunched over the fuel tank trying to break the sound barrier,each to their own,that's what makes us individuals.

As has been said by other's,there are many famous brands that are now manufactured or even owned by Chinese or Indian companies (Jaguar,Land-Rover,Royal Enfield) and the reason they are manufactured in China /India is simply costs.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Chinese et al

The problem is, practically everything we're now forced to buy is manufactured in China/India/Pakistan and the rest. I'm fed up of replacing TV's, fridges, lawnmowers, irons, toasters etc that  have brand famous names, but are made in the same cheap (child labour) Chinese or third world factory.

The Chinesew bikes I've seen are made out of cheese, with welding that looks as its been done by a drunk Epilectic.

I've got to a point, that I've started buying second hand European manufactured goodsas they last and are noticeabley better quality.

I agree with another poster re their cr*p isjust filling our landfill.

Someone I know who works in quality control for a very well known lighing company that shut down its UK manufacturing, is now considering moving manufacture back here as they're simply not getting a quality product from abroad. (Have you noticed just how many cars you see with lights out these days?). 

We're not always getting cheap goods either, just check your clothing/shoes, every item of even expensive clothing is made in foreign sweat shops for peanuts, but the retail prices for the poor quality tat is extortionate.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Made in China

My 2010 Wuyang-Honda built Elite 110 (sold in the UK as the Lead 110) has high quality fit and finish and still looks like new when washed (except for a few scratches) after 11 months and 3,200 miles (including one winter on salted roads). The build quality is better than my Montesa-Honda made NT700V (aka Dullsville). Performance has been flawless, except for one case of stalling from probable vapor lock on a 40°C day in stop and go riding (restarted after about 3 or 4 seconds of cranking). And it was only $2,800 ($3,200 with windshield and top box).

So quality products can come out of mainland China with proper management/ownership.

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

No just no

As it stands you  can't get a reliable source of parts which with the general fit and finish you're going too need. I have no problem with following trends it's just good business and common sense, what I dislike is that not a single bike from China has been styled or engineered there; some posters have drawn parallels to the time when Japanese bikes started ariving but they did have their own development Mr Honda creating the blueprint for 2-stroke exhaust design that has since been refined but never replaced. That is a feat worthy of respect when you consider 40 odd years ago this idea appeared and nothing better has even been proposed, the day when Chinese bike manufactures start inovating like the Japanese did back in the day is the day they are worthy of consideration, until then I'll be leaving well alone.

Reply to this Topic
scratchnsniff24

Mar 11

YBR 125

I bought one, brand new for £2315, in February of last year and rode it as near as makes no difference every day since come rain, shine, or snow. It's my sole mode of transport. 9.5k miles and counting (short commute 5-6 miles there and back). So far the things that have "gone wrong": The two end caps off the grab rail fell out within a week of ownership. The "fairing", if you want to call it that, wasn't attached out of the shop correctly and subsequently rattles/moves when you prod it. The Yamaha dealership told me it was missing a spacer or a grommet or some minor thing which they'd order me and fit next service. Never did arrive/they couldn't be bothered. Subsequently one of the brackets holding it on has now snapped. The forks are pitted, and pretty much everything shiny is rusted. The exhaust downpipe is literally coming off in chunks. The chain has a seized link. The headlight has gone through 4 low beam bulbs, because it let water in and soaked the electrics. Dealership wrapped them some more and drilled a hole in the bottom of the light. The seat's started to come away from where it was glued on. (Not sure if this is meant to happen so you can take it off, but I've never tried and it did look like a lot of adhesive for a removable part). One mirror endlessly pointed down, despite repeat fastenings, until I got some thread lock on that son bitch. The left rubber footpeg thingy has worn smooth. Aside from those things it's been fine. Nothing largely mechanical has gone wrong, apart from a couple days where she didn't start first time. I'm not sure what conclusion to come to. The aesthetic things ie rust were bound to happen since I ride year round and she lives outside without a cover and perhaps the seized link also. The way it literally started to fall apart in a matter of weeks; grabrail, mirrors, fairing, was a little worrying it must be said. For the amount of time you're going to have it, especially if it's a small capacity first bike, I don't think it'll matter if you buy Chinese. The depreciation of both bikes (from new) over a year will be roughly the same, not much will go wrong in that time, so I'd say buy whatever you want. Chinese might even save you money from the initial spend, but the Jap will get you it back so 6 and two 3's.

Reply to this Topic
scratchnsniff24

Mar 11

Line breaks

Anybody know why they never work for me?
Is that required or something?

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Hmm...

Maybe. It would depend what is said about them. I've heard some horror stories and then some stories on the opposite end of the spectrum. Everything from warped brake disks to engine blowouts has been heard of. A lot of it is down to the build quality of these machines being of a lower standard than the jap bikes. This seems to be changing as they realise that this is the reason we don't buy their bikes.

Perhaps in a couple of years we will have chinese bikes just as popular as jap bikes. The chinese certainly have the potential , they just need regulated a bit more.  for me it is either Japanese , UK or Italian bikes. that said I seen a lovely reiju , think it was a tango , so maybe those spanish folks will be on the scene soon too.

Let the battle commence!

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

I was lucky not to be seriously injured on it.
I owned one of these chinese bikes and the rear swing arm linkage snapped I was lucky that I was only riding around 10 mph when it snapped because the day before I had been out for a long ride on the thing two up.
Very dangerous due to lack of quality control and design faults.
Yes they are cheap but no not worth the risk.
I own a deauville and they are fantastic bikes, yes they have issues such as paint flaking and poor riding position but these can be fixed, one by adding some handle bar risers and the other by painting the flaked parts yourself.
Oh and as for the air filtering issue I solved that by washing the filter out as they put way too much oil on the new filters and they clog up very fast, my bike runs very smooth very little vibration at all an very good on acceleration.
No bike is perfect but the deauville is pretty good as an all-rounder, you can use it for shopping, you can use if for long weekends away, it is ultra reliable, and on a long run you get good mileage. Around town you get around 150 to 160 to a tank if you have run your bike in properly if you haven't then I'm sure it will be much less.
The only real problem with them is removing the rear wheel, but nowadays you don't have to very often with the all new puncture system from the USA, I fixed a puncture with that baby around 1000 miles ago it is still good and no need to remove the rear wheel, thanks USA puncture fixer tool maker, where I used to worry about punctures they don't bother me at all now, of course they don't recommend you leaving them that long but hey worth a try and it works wonderful.

The one good thing about Chinese bikes I would say is, that they make you appreciate a good bike after you have had a Chinese bike.

Reply to this Topic
JessicaS34

Jul 12

JessicaS34 says:

I am a single biker woman. My friend told me about___seekingbikers.com___she told me it is the best place for bikers to find Friendship, Love, and Romance! I have tried, it is fantastic, hundreds of thousands of hot biker men and biker babes are there. Come in and give it a shot, you will find your biker match to share the passion for motorbikes! :)

Reply to this Topic
salttram

Jul 12

salttram says:

Not in This Lifetime . . .

Of course there have been some high quality products made in China. But when it comes anything that you lay your life on, like a motorcycle, I would choose a nation-of-origin that has a higher regard for life than China. I was looking at the BMW Sertao until I found out that the engine was made in China. And now I read of the lack of refinement in same. No thanks. As Chinese policies have lowered the bar for humanity, they might well do the same for my personal safety.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices