Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

You ask/You answer: How do I stop my wife riding?

My wife has been riding pillion with me for years but now she wants to learn to ride. I really don't want her to do it - she's a bloody awful driver and has dreadful hand-eye coordination. I'm actually quite scared for her. I don't want to put my foot down say she can't do it, but what choice do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 July 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Forget it

Don't even try to stop her, it is her life if she wishes to ride a motorcycle then encourage her in what she wants to do.

The best thing you can do is to help her be safe on the road, give her as much help as you can, provide her with supported ride outs with video footage and don't criticise but offer good advice when she wants it.

Just because someone can't drive a car properly does not mean they can't do much better on a bike and when they learn on a bike they become better car drivers.

Reply to this Topic
JessicaS34

Jul 12

JessicaS34 says:

I am a single biker woman. My friend told me about___seekingbikers.com___she told me it is the best place for bikers to find Friendship, Love, and Romance! I have tried, it is fantastic, hundreds of thousands of hot biker men and biker babes are there. Come in and give it a shot, you will find your biker match to share the passion for motorbikes! :)

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Look forward to hours of pillion purgatory, butt clenching fear, piles, and all the other pleasures of being a pillion youself. Re-live those moments when you did some dodgy overtakes, or hard braking. Keep your eyes closed.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Look positively at it....

If my wife wanted to ride pillion I would be ecstatic. Mine has absolutely no interest in bikes and won't even try for a short spin... If she wanted toride herself I would encourage her although with concerns but maybe I would find a new partner for long rides out - after all she doesn't have to ride at GP speeds (and if she did I would have tofind someone much slower to ride with).

Reply to this Topic
ajnsandra

Jul 12

ajnsandra says:

Mate, I did the same thing with my husband, I'm now on bike number 2 and loving it!  I still like going pillion but he came round to the idea really quick when he figured out he could swap his 1250 bandit (good for 2 up's) for a GSX'R... In other words, let her have a go, she'll soon figure out if she likes it, and if she does (and I really hope she does!) then there's only one thing for it... Suck it up big boy and hope she doesn't wax you too often!

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

Advice

Looks like your search for advce has bacfired fella !! I agree with some of the posts in that i'd love it if my wife showed even the slightest interest in my bikes, Been riding now for 6 years and she went on my original learner 125 to the end of the road forever ago and that was it !! we'll all be looking out for her on the road lol lol !!

Reply to this Topic
chisel25

Jan 08

chisel25 says:

Tough one mate. 3 options as far as I see it....

1. Put your foot down - Can you get away with that?

2. Try to discourage her - Look at crashes etc - Might work ???

3. Swallow the fact she's gonna do it anyway and work with her to refine her skills. Take her on track days, additional learning course etc to make her the best rider she can be.

Reply to this Topic
BANDIT2005

Mar 09

BANDIT2005 says:

wife riding

Take her out again on pillion and just go crazy.Have a few near misses with other vehicles,blind bends etc.It will puy her off for years!

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Might as well just embrace it. If she dies , at least she'll die happy. Probably the best way to go anyway.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices