Skip to content

Discuss This Scott Redding unsure of Ducati MotoGP future MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Scott Redding unsure of Ducati MotoGP future

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Scott Redding unsure of Ducati MotoGP future

Scott Redding remains in the dark about whether an encouraging MotoGP debut on a factory Ducati GP12 at Mugello earlier this month will secure the British teenager the chance to take on Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi in 2013. Redding completed a successful two-day test for Ducati recently with a view to the Gloucestershire rider stepping up from the Moto2 world...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 August 2012 11:49)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
matto3227

Nov 07

matto3227 says:

Silence is golden...

No word from Ducati seems to be their new way of saying "Thanks, but no thanks!"

... Just ask Cal Crutchlow.

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Rev

"The question is about who gets to play the 'exciting' bit of the spiel - Iannone perhaps?" 

Definitely. Crazy Joe might be the 'lightning in a bottle' they're looking for. He and Pol E. are the 2 kids who are sure to liven things up if they moved to MotoGP. 

Maybe Scott too, but for one reason or another he hasn't shone like the other 2 in the smaller classes. Bigger bike might help. 

As for 2014, Ducati need a US rider so maybe NH will just get an extension. Either that or they'll swap him for the best performing guy from the Jnr Team. Bradl maybe but I think he'll stick with Honda and wait for Pedrosa to shuffle off a year later.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

So few prototypes,so many options

Ducati having secured Hayden and probably Dovizioso can afford to look at the junior team from a distance for a few more days at least. I hope Redding gets the nod though. On the other hand,prior to Indy they may aswell throw the names of Barbera,Iannone,Espargaro,Redding,Crutchlow and Petrucci into a hat,put on the blindfolds and draw two. I'd like to see Redding alongside Pol Espargaro though.

Cal should grab Poncheral's offer sharpish while it stands. By all indications the factory Ducati ride alongside Hayden is not going materialise.

Reply to this Topic
airbornetrooper

Jan 10

The most exciting...

...thing about motogp is the politics, as the racing is pretty dire.  Ducati should take a young gun next to Hayden someone that is hungry and most of all exciting to watch.  Scott Redding would fit that role imo.  Cal had better watch out as he may lose out completely.  Dovi has had his chance on a Honda and maybe WSBK would be an ideal place for him.  Why would Ducati put their faith in a rider that has failed on the best bike out there...no one remembers third?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Experience versus promise

I thought we'd pretty much established that riders are there for little more than to go damn fast and convey feel or confidence sensations to their chief engineer. This try out for Iannone and Redding was as much to confirm their abilities at the later as the former. Ducati want clear information to formulate a development direction. A consistency of information they haven't been receiving during these past two years. To my mind it makes not a jot of difference if Cal is chosen over Scott or vice versa.  Whilst Cal does have a reference point of the M1, Corse have screeds of empirical data from these infinitely measurable machines to check / overlay against as they did with the test of the Moto2 riders. A good rider should be able to clearly enunciate pro's and con's of a machine regardless of their previous experience. Data should plug the gaps and / or confirm what any rider is saying.

Ducati's silence. Media beat-up. Cicognani has many facets of this proposed scenario to put in place before rider decisions can be made.

A lot of Scott's problems 2011 Bruncvik appeared to be related to the fact the Suter chassis cramped him too much. If you can't move freely you can't weight the machine properly. The Kalex appears to provide him this freedom. His weight on the asthmatic 600's is his problem in Moto2. 250hp should cure that issue nicely.

And finally whilst an importer / distributor of Ducati America's size may be able to leverage a bit of pressure on the parent company I hardly feels it's significant to their sales results - little more than a glossy poster on showroom walls. Ducati is a prestige brand with a very asute and desirable model line-up with class leading machines like the Diavel and Multistrada amonst others. Americans by and large remain pretty ignorant to all things MotoGP. Ducati's America's buyers by and large are purchasing little more than a toy with a concept of a racing pedigree - one that Hayden hasn't actually added to. Let's remember how keen Corse seemed to cut Hayden adrift when they thought Rossi would remain. They've signed Hayden for a further year for mere reference continuity as they hopefully bring more talented youngsters up to speed. Once more Hayden is batting his station, as he's done for the previous five seasons.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Same old same old?

Ducati and Preziosi have had consistent, clear advice for development direction..it's just that they haven't translated that information into a design their riders can use to compete effectively.

The fact that Furasawa was approached as consultant and begged by Preziosi to impart his knowledge to help the project says it all.

Masao San said at the very start of the Ducati/Rossi journey that if they listened to him and followed his lead, they would be successful. For one reason or another the simple fact is..they haven't.

Dovi is rated by those in the know as being largely responsible for turning the RCV around from mid 2010 onwards and into the best bike last year but, he is not Valentino Rossi and his crew chief will not be Jeremy Burgess.

His wish to be on a factory bike earning top money is understandable but he has changed his tune if he is indeed Bologna bound. It's all about the kudos and money as very recently, @ Mugello if I remember right, he said on the BBC that the time was not yet right for him to ride a Ducati as the bike was a way off being competitive.

Good luck to the kid..but Audi and a Junior squad running identical GP13's to the factory team can't hide the fact that the same people are still in charge at Corse and if Valentino couldn't get them to deliver, Andrea may as well take a piss in the wind.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Corse is in this situation

clearly because they listened to Rossi too much 2011. Too much tinkering, not enough analysis. Constant flip flopping feedback from Rossi and a string of poor results.

The fact Preziosi and Corse did invite Furusawa to Bologna indicates an open mind willing to take on board the opinions of others. Preziosi is not the bloody minded 'my way or the highway' tyrant you like to paint him as Wosi. Rossi has dug Corse a hole. Preziosi & Cicognani are trying to extricate the company from it. I am so glad Rossi is leaving. Corse have learnt from their scarring relationship and are now in a better position to forge ahead.

Your 'those in the know' line Wosi is nothing more than a transparent baseless (who are those in the know?) attempt to denigrate Pedrosa; you know, the man who actually won multiple times on the thing.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

I don't think you can blame Rossi for Ducati's performance. I'm sure he knows how to give the correct feedback as does any other GP rider with that amount of experience. The problem is that Ducati don't have the resources that Honda and Yamaha have and it shows. Rossi isn't an engineer he's a rider.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Wosi, you normally do better..

..whether or not we agree with the points you make, there's generally some foundation to what you say. In this case my old pal, it would appear you are frantically grasping at straws.

I have to question your assumption that Dovi was largely responsible for the development of the bike - say's who? If that were true, why did HRC let him go and take all that valuable knowledge with him? You then go on to say that despite his ability to turn the bike into a regular winner, he's "not Valentino Rossi" and his crew chief wont be JB. 

I'm not entirely sure where you've been these past 18 months, but the dream team to which you refer have hardly set the world alight developing the Ducati - so would he or anyone else care if they weren't there to offer their pearls of wisdom? I think not! 

Your defence of Rossi is admirable, but you need to start facing up to a few unsettling home truths..

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Furusawa

Am I the only one thinking that inviting Furasawa to Bologna seems a bit naive? It could be seem as bold but it also demonstrates, to me at least, a lack of understanding of the Japanese culture and the mindset of its people, honour, integrity etc. He may not work for Yamaha anymore full time but it seems he'll always belong to Yamaha. I guess he still values his relationship with Valantino Rossi and it was on that basis he went. Perhaps Rossi thought that his best option under in the circumstances was to go to Furusawa....?  

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices