Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies close to shock Gresini Honda deal? MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies close to shock Gresini Honda deal?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies close to shock Gresini Honda deal?

Ben Spies is edging closer to committing his future to MotoGP after it emerged in Brno today he is locked in talks over a shock move to the Gresini Honda squad for 2013. The Texan seemed certain to switch to World Superbikes to partner Marco Melandri in a BMW Italia squad next season after he announced he will quit Yamaha’s factory...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 August 2012 18:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Shawno76

Nail on the head with Dovi. Why would any top team offer him a ride. He wasn't as good as Dani or Casey on the same bike and not as good as Jorge. Take the money and run.

Reply to this Topic
CJeffrey

Aug 12

CJeffrey says:

Bit suprised

I'm a bit suprised about this news as most of the talk surrounding his future next year was a factory ride for BMW in World Superbikes. Hopefully he can stay in MotoGP because he's got the skill and speed to be a contender but has just had one of those years to forget. The Gresini team has always offered a good package and wouldn't be a big step down from his current ride. If he does get the ride and I hope he does then I think he'll adapt quite quickly to the Honda.

Reply to this Topic
bluAero

May 12

bluAero says:

Spies

Happy to hear that he might be staying in GP and even better on a different bike. It was thrilling to watch him in 2009. I guess I want more of it. If he can get there. A big IF. Seems to me Ben is "chemically sensitive". I mean the chemistry of the people around him and the pressure of expectation. The Japanese bosses don't seem like warm, fuzzy people. Jarvis looks like a hard-ass, Houseworth? may have been in over his head the whole time, and I'm not sure how mom fits into the equation. Maybe she's the only positive. Who knows?

As for the bike, I just don't think the works m1 suits him. He's a bigger guy with a ride-by-the-seat-of-your-pants style. Could it be that in recent years the bike's been tailored to a smaller, extremely smooth riding style? Maybe why Cal has fallen off a bit too? I was watching some super slo-mo video from the Brno weekend and saw what hard chatter really looks like. It was Ben's rear tire. I hadn't heard anybody complaining about chatter all weekend, including Ben. At 5,000 frames per sec., it looked like extreme forces were trying to pull the tire off the rim as he fought the bike upright and out of the turn. I think he's been fighting the best handling bike since he first swung a leg over it.  

At this point it's a gamble for anybody to invest factory resorces in Ben but, if it's only a matter of titration - just one more drop of this chemical into that one to achieve the equinimity of chemistry.... and presto - the alien's smaller inside mouth comes out and rips the field to shreads. 

(why don't they make good films like that any more?)  

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

The romour mill

is saying that Spies has sighned for a sat-ducati team , does anybody know if this is true or not?.......

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices