You are in... Forums > General > General > Honda CRF250L - Return To Sender

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

Honda CRF250L - Return To Sender

The first ride test of the new Honda CRF250L in this weeks MCN says it is 'novice-friendly'.

And mostly it would seem to be but as I saw an old 70's Bultaco Matador recently, it reminded me that virtually all of these new bikes could be a lot 'friendler'.

Because the Matador was blessed with a fabulous fully enclosed final drive, a really top quality bit of kit with a neat  aluminium case covering the rear sprocket and two rubberised tubes covering both chain runs that were securely located to extrusions on the gearbox and the aforementioned ally cover.

Thus the final drive chain was completely protected from the elements, and for an off road bike that means water, mud and other crud.

You'd almost think this feature would be mandatory for a bike that uses chain final drive, especially off road bikes, but instead it is almost unheard of on new machines.

Utterly baffling.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 September 2012 23:44)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Fully Enclosed Chain

MZ's had them back in the day as did, I believe, early CG125's.  I guess they are not sexy/cool enough for todays bikes.   

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

My old CD175

had one,removed it,horibble thing, I never knew what condition the chain was in underneath,an extra pain to adjust too,if your bikes got a chain it's best to see it and maintain it regularly, of get shafty.:smile

Reply to this Topic
ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

Sexy, cool - not!

I fail to see what is sexy or cool about an exposed final drive chain flinging oil/grease/crud over the rear end of a bike. The exposed final drive chain itself is often neglected too, resulting in it droooping and/or rusting whereas a (even neglected) fully enclosed chain can go for years without adverse effect (as I found with my old Honda 400/4 fitted with a Furlong fully enclosed chaincase).

An exposed final drive chain is actually deeply unsexy and frankly an engineering embarassment, which companies such as Honda have quietly recognised, as evidenced by their newer models now having shaft drive.

For a very long time, in fact decades, motorcycling has, in my opinion, been held back by a totally asinine aping of racing machines, which had became the majority segment of the motorcycle market in this country, when it should always have been a tiny minority.

'Race-reps'  have been a totally blind alley and worse, appalling for  our image in society, which has had the negative effect of stigmatising and marginalising us. But thankfully, more realistic motorcycles are coming back into 'fashion' as, for example, the reality of sky high energy prices bite.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

agree with preunit

In my opinion though

Attached images:

1. nice bike  
  2. work bike  
Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

It is not so much the

race reps, it is the one's who ride like total twats that are appalling for our image. No matter what bike your on wether its a race rep, crosser or an old classic bike. When people ride like twats pedestrians and other road users don't see what kind of bike it is they will just see somebody being an arse. Speeding past a school at 50 mph the statement will be " look at that idiot on that motorbike". As opposed to "look at that idiot on that race rep".

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

the thing is

the race teams had  to produce x amount of road going machines as well.

Even a lady of a certain age like myself who had to ride some of the heaps of crap in the early 80's still prefer the more modern machines .

There's nothing like reliability, none of my earlier stuff were reliable, then again I didn't have the money then to buy anything decent, still don't have the money but a lot more technology is readily available now.

The market is growing for retro and the like I just think they are cack,:lol:

Reply to this Topic
gaz1982

Aug 10

gaz1982 says:

As you probably do

when you have an F3 sat there. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
ManxNorton

Oct 02

ManxNorton says:

In Chains

I accept that chain technology has come on a lot over the past twenty years or so (apart from the split link being replaced by a soft head rivet, which I think is not very helpful).

However, just as you can look at a bike from say the 1930's and see those exposed poppet valves clacking away on the cylinder head and think that is a bit crude and they ought to be covered up, as they indeed eventually were, well, ditto with exposed final drive chains.

At the famous Guggenheim Art of the Motorcycle exhibition in Bilbao a few years ago, the only crude piece of engineering that was on the first bike (a 1898 De Dion) and also the last bike (the King of Spains personal MV F3) was an exposed final drive and I found that a bit sad.

NB. Somebody has to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices