Skip to content

Discuss This Kawasaki Ninja 300 first ride: "It feels like a big bike" First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Kawasaki Ninja 300 first ride: "It feels like a big bike"

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Kawasaki Ninja 300 first ride: "It feels like a big bike"

Senior Road Tester Adam Child is in Frankfurt, Germany for the launch of Kawasaki's new Ninja 300 – not merely a big bore 250, but an entirely new bike. He's just got off after his first session on the bike and said: "It feels much more like a big bike than the previous model, not just in terms of the size, but...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 September 2012 10:09)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kawasakifreak1

Aug 11

Is this really progress ?

Sounds like a re-hash of the 1988 GPX250 to me.

Reply to this Topic
sampage

Sep 12

sampage says:

Whats the point?

Why bother with the 300, may aswell go back to the 400? What was wrong with that? I get 115mph on my 250 so 112 or even 120? Thats pathetic! The guages are much better on the 300 but is there really any performance gain?

Reply to this Topic
yamtcat

Jul 05

yamtcat says:

looks superb!

Not sure if performance gain is the their main reason but does it matter when it looks as good as that?!

Huge update looks wise and an extra 50cc thrown in, cant be bad? Dash a big improvement too.

I'm seriously considering giving up my sv650 for this as it'll be a nice economic commuter for me and looks the nuts. All green too, none of this black in the middle like the big boys.

Top speed not important, been there done that, all shallow needs with me and this ticks the boxes. 6R & 10R  far too expensive to insure for me since I lost my NCB.

Well done Kawasaki I say...now to wait and see if the CBR400R rumours true...

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I wouldn't bet on it being economical

29kW from 300cc means it'll be working moderately hard to use it, I'd be surprised if it gets better economy than an NC700 or G650GS.

It's certainly an interesting bike, falling between the current 25kW and the new 35kW license categories, but in future you'll need to pass a test on (realistically) a 500cc to get a license to ride it.  Would you actively choose to get a smaller bike, or just get a bigger bike and use less throttle?

Having gone the smaller bike route (GPz305) I'd be hesitant to give it a try again.

Mind you, I might grab a copy of MCN today and see what the long verdict is.  I want to like it.

Reply to this Topic
RageRider

Jan 11

RageRider says:

Totally agree.

Looks like a really accomplished smaller bike. I love the idea of having something that you can actually use most of, most of the time. I'm genuinelly considering it next year. Only fly in the ointment is the KTM Duke 390. It'll probably have less power but will also be considerably lighter than the ninja 300 I'd imagine.

My last bike was an RSV1000 3 years ago which I sold when my son was born and I haven't ridden or owned anything since and subsequently have lost all my 10 years+ NCD. I also can't afford anything close to the RSV and as you say been there done that so I'm not really fussed about that level of performance at the moment. Was considering an sv650 but it didn't really excite me as such but this has me really interested.

Fingers crossed it's not too expensive.

Reply to this Topic
dukie

Sep 12

dukie says:

Poor article

I really thought this was a poor article. You could have just taken the specs off the internet to write the article you did. Really disappointed to see no comparison between the ninja 300 and cbr 250r which is the closest competition. No genuine MPG + tank range, no genuine cruise speed, no comment on how good it will be as a daily commuter or small capacity tourer, differences in build quality. torque listed as 26 and 20ft (20 seems a tad low) Just really a waste of a great opportunity. After reading the article i was left asking "what is the point of this bike?" but yes it is stunning.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

waste of money

make a bloody 450 or 475, the 600's have all stepped up, ive got an rsv mille and want a newer bike to race, a 400 would be perfect for me but older ones now are out of date or worse, a 450 screamer would be quality.

Reply to this Topic
Kando

May 11

Kando says:

About time

Good to see Kawasaki have released a bike suitable for new riders who still want to look sporty. My friend is looking at getting this bike when he has past his test. I am surprised more manufactures don't do this sort of bike. Maybe it would have been better as a 400cc? I can guess the 300 may still be a bit too lack luster. Can't complain tho as at least there trying and its better than buying a knackard 400 from the early 90's.

Reply to this Topic
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

Cool

Quite fancy one. Not the best of road tests. Bike looks ace. Needs the exhaust of the ER650 but made a bit louder, then it'd be perfect. Well done Kwaka.

Reply to this Topic
Kawasakifreak1

Aug 11

Correction (partly).

Looks like my original comments below were wrong about the 300 Ninja.  I've just read this week' MCN article - the frame & engine are different to the 1988 GPX250 - particularly the engine which only appears to share part of the gearbox - whoops !

Like a lot of people - I want to like this bike - it marks a continuing trend away from performance bikes towards those with greater usability but that still manage to be fun to ride.  I think KTM are in the vanguard of this change & I can see why other makers are following with their own interpretations.

Trouble is this Kawasaki 300 it's far too heavy (172 kg wet instead of 140kg) & too expensive (£5K instead of £3.5k on the road).

I agree it looks great though & for the market it'll attract a lot of showroom interest from quite a cross-section of riders - but at nearly £5k ?

Why not buy a cheap 2nd-hand car giving 40+ mpg instead.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices