You are in... Forums > General > General > An Unexpected Choice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

An Unexpected Choice

Yesterday was an interesting day. My girlfriend Kate has taken to riding pillion and we are planning a couple of trips for next year, including a two-week jaunt to Spain. As some of you may know, I currently have two bikes in my garage - a 2005 Fazer 1000 and a ‘98 VFR800. The VFR is the bike I usually use for touring as I am less precious with it. However, with more two up touring planned I have decided to look at getting a tourer.

Today we test-rode two of the market leaders - The Honda Pan European and a BMW R1200RT. Now I would usually consider myself as a typical Honda buyer (Previous bikes include a CBR900 and a Blackbird) and although this would be the first time I had actually ridden the Pan I expected to prefer it to the RT. But the opposite was true! I was really disappointed with the Pan. I could really feel the weight a slow speeds and the shaft-drive had sufficient slack as to make smooth riding difficult. The BMW on the other hand - even with an engine design dating back to the 1920’s and surely reaching the end of it’s development potential - was the better bike. It felt more modern, was better equipped (Cruise control was very amusing) and it just generally worked better as bike.

I had intended to keep the VFR either way but with a tourer taking up so much space in the garage that probably won’t be possible so it look s like the VFR will be sold to make way for a BMW RT.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 September 2012 18:44)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Blackbird

Not a bad idea but I have already had one.  (Check out my photo gallery)  It was a good bike but would not be as comfortable for Kate on the back.  Also, shaft drive is a major plus when touring.  I did bite the bullet and go for the RT - I picked it up last Friday and it was absolutely the right choice.       

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

And you didn't

even try a goldwing? :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Goldwing

I only have a single garage - a wing wouldn't fit in it :lol: