Skip to content

Discuss This Matchless set to return General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Matchless set to return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Matchless set to return

The family behind the rebirth of the Belstaff fashion label has bought the rights to the Matchless motorcycle brand with plans for a return to limited retro motorcycle production. Franco Malenotti along with sons Emanuele and Michael transformed the Belstaff brand into a globally successful fashion brand and aims to do the same with the Matchless brand after buying it from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 16:32)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Matchless Megabucks

If Belstaff pricing is anything to go by I can't wait for the first fifty grand Matchless single to go on sale.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

I'd love to see..

..the brand come back. I just hope some real thought goes into what a Matchless of today would and should be like. In my mind it's got to be uniquely Matchless and not look like some bike pulled from the rack with a label put on the tank. The other BIG consideration is cost. Do you try to make a bike for everyone or do you make one only the few can afford?

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Market

From a marketing point of view, the purchasing base must be quite small. If they market the bikes along the lines of the old classic styles, then they will be pitching at the Royal Enfield customer.

If they go for the larger machine style, then they will compete with Triumph and (more likely), Norton.

Not sure that Norton is doing high volumes so prestige, classic niche is a market, but a somewhat closed one.

They may be better off just making Matchless branded clothes and deff the bikes.

Still, if they do make them, there will always be some old giffers out there who will raise the cash. I cannot see any young riders on these machines regardless of the price.

Now if they made a Matchless scooter, that would be another story!!

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Prestige

Oh how exciting! another re-birth of a famous old brand that will be financially miles out of reach of the common man!!!!! Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn 

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

agree with SundayRoast

one of the main reasons for the brand purchase is the right to make Matchless clothing.  I  have for example a Matchless T-shirt from years back that I haven't worn in probably ten years.

So, if I bought a Matchless T-shirt someone else will too and perhaps a Jacket as well and gold shirt.

as for the bikes, what are they going to do, start a 100 million dollar brand new motorcycle factory?  NO! they'll probably just put some parts together and make it look like new/old Matchless and sell it for 24,000.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I hope they turn them out faster than Norton. Saw an old mate of mine a few weeks ago who has one and he had to wait 2 years and 10 months for his. He waited 2 years and 9 months longer than I would. To then pay 15 grand for a bike that can't top 130mph! Each to their own I suppose.

Reply to this Topic
records1990

May 12

records1990 says:

Only if,!!

Yet another old British name long gone, but the only one who did it right was Triumph, it took a hell of a lot of dosh to get them into production, and it has a man who was determined to make it back into the viable full production high volume company as it is today, and instead of keeping to the old tradition with old looking bikes of years gone by, he kept the name going with new looking and better looking bikes that appeal to younger bikers of today.

But if they do as Norton did and build old looking bikes with prices which are out of this world for normal bikers, and only produce a couple per week, instead of hundreds, they will be on to a looser, but good luck to them, and hope they do well, but I'll not hold my breath.

Reply to this Topic
maazzz1

Aug 10

maazzz1 says:

Clothes first...

I agree with you with you Sunday Roast and Shiva. I am sure that the retro motorbike production side of things will be a marketing/promotional investment as part of their new fashion label adventure that will be targeting the mid/top end and try hard market, much the same as Belstaff was. So successful was the brand in Italy, that Belstaff was worn by mostly those that never even jumped on a scooter let alone a bike as will the Matchless label...

Exclusive hand made low production retro bikes to promote a new fashion label. I like it! Don't be mistaken they will not be that interested in the motorcycle retro enthusiast, they will be flogging fashion.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Interesting.... but

I was brought up with tales of Matchless adventures in the 50's. I am really excited to see what they produce...however... no doubt they will be prohibitively expensive. Matchless motorbikes were a mode of transport for the common man, seems only Triumph and Royal Enfield have truly stuck to the original philosophies, affordable and desirable.If Belstaff's prices are anything to go buy, I shall not be investing in >M< >

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

should be interesting

another retro bike like the enfield ,norton and the bonnie

sat mate whats the top speed of the bonnie  127  aint it ............and people who buy these bikes dont want run of the mill prodction bikes

why do you always have to slag off a bike ...if you aint got something interesting to say  why not SSSSHHHHHHHHH up

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices