You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Twitchy bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Griffin85FG

Jan 13

Griffin85FG says:

Twitchy bike

Hello, My first post :smile.. shame its a bad one.

Ive been out riding in the evenings quite alot recently as where i live, everybody is miles away. but ive been having a problem with my bike.

I live in Cornwall. There is no snow and its pretty damn cold at the moment. Roads freezing ETC. Now, ive only had my bike for 3 weeks (Did my CBT 3 weeks ago too). To get anywhere i use country lanes. But im finding, as im going round corners my tail wants to slide out and my front wheel is also slightly skittish. 

I only use roads that i know gritters would have been down. But is this problem due to Ice, My tyres, the salt on the roads or inexperience? if so, HELP! As i know im going to come off. Im also not racing everywhere, but just taking my time.

Im riding a Honda Varadero 125 with Avon tyres. (cant remember the Model, but when i bought the bike they had just been fitted). 

During the day, its not a problem. i can happily take my bike out knowing that im going to stick to the road and the tyres will grip.

Before i have a nasty accident, can somebody please help?

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 January 2013 16:47)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Stuart

You're starting out in the worst combination of road conditions. If you're not comfortable slow down & let the local nutters pass. Check the tyre pressures are as recomended by the bike, not tyre, manufacturer or even set them 2psi below.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Probably

due to the cold - the tyres may not be able to warm up and if they're really new they'll have the release coating on which will make them really sllippy. You also need to check the pressures.

Grit can also cause problems if there's too much of it.

Most important is to relax as much as you can so the bike corrects itself and possibly slow down a bit. I've had tyres do this in the cold and it's not safe at all. If tyre suitability is indeed the case then I suggest using alternate transport until the temperature increases.

Reply to this Topic
Griffin85FG

Jan 13

Griffin85FG says:

Thanks

Thanks guys.. i take my time everywhere at the moment and im comfortable with riding the bike. I shall check the pressure and check the tyres. i think ill just take more precautions too ( check the road more thoroughly) and relax a little more

but many thanks guys!:smile

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda XL 125V Varadero year?

Hi Griffin85FG and welcome to the site:smile

You say

During the day, its not a problem. i can happily take my bike out knowing that im going to stick to the road and the tyres will grip.
Before i have a nasty accident, can somebody please help?

Ride only during the day until the good weather comes along if you suspect you will have an accident.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Griffin85FG

Jan 13

Griffin85FG says:

yeah

Yeah, sounds like a good idea haha! but i need to commute too... so it could be a little tricky

and its a 2007 model =]

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

twitchy bike

if it only feels strange at night check your wheel alignment and that your bars are in line with your forks and not bent. Get someone experienced to ride it, see what they think. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices