Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi impressed by ‘beautiful’ Circuit of the Americas MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi impressed by ‘beautiful’ Circuit of the Americas

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi impressed by ‘beautiful’ Circuit of the Americas

Valentino Rossi might have been slowest on the opening day of the private Honda and Yamaha MotoGP test at the new Circuit of the Americas yesterday, but it didn't stop the Italian from falling in love with the long and technical Texas circuit. On a first day dominated by a lack of grip, Rossi ended fifth behind Marc Marquez, Dani Pedrosa,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 March 2013 10:01)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CaseyIsGONE

Feb 13

CaseyIsGONE says:

its true lorenzo career is fueled by luck...

...every championship was because all his opponents were out and most race wins are gifted to him, when he knows he doesnt have the pace he falls back and picks up the pieces when everyone else up front puts it in the gravel.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

spdmon

Lorenzo also started 2010 injured, having missed a lot of of pre-season testing due to that. He was right on Rossi at the end of the first race, although both were falling behind Stoner before the Ducati let go. He beat him in the next and then Rossi crashed at the next race, so it's reasonable to say that he had Rossi's pace measured once he was given equal equipment in 2010.

If you want to start calling people lucky you can pick apart anyone's season and point to other's misfortune either due to injury or standard of machinery.

Reply to this Topic
spdmon

Aug 09

spdmon says:

Yes, he was lucky

@Bultboy Yes he was lucky last year, so what? There no shame in that!

@CaseyIsGONE Great post. I didn't wrote what I like the best about Lorenzo. He was a breaking point for Rossi. He has made Rossi into a super loser, and that's great! 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

Lorenzo reigning world champion

Jorge Lorenzo is'nt world champion for nothing & his amazing race history in Moto GP is certainly not down to luck.I would like to address some of the critisisms in this post about Lorenzo.

1st Race craft - If Lorenzo has no race craft then why is it he can carve through the rest of the feild like a hot knife through butter on the 1st & 2nd lap to lead the race or gain 2nd position.Many times he has come out of the 1st corner in 4th or 5th & fought his way through to 1st & 2nd in 1 to 2 laps,how is this possible with no race craft.

Also he has had many battles with Rossi,Casey & Dani & clearly shown exellent race craft.Sachenring with Casey stoner springs to mind in 2011 I think it was.Superb race craft.I think youre argument is flawd my friend.

2nd falling back - Yes Lorenzo will ease off & let riders go if he thinks he cannot catch them & if it means crashing & giving away 20 or so points.This seems logical to me & proves Lorenzo to be thinking & to be a tactical rider.I see this as a strenght not a weakness.

It is better to pick up the pieces & points than put it in the gravel.How can that possibly be a bad thing,how can that possibly make Lorenzo a bad rider ? I don't get it !

Reply to this Topic
DogBert

Jan 13

DogBert says:

Having the pace is one thing

Seeing it through to the end when the pressure is mounting is something different. We'll never know how 2010 would have panned out, but 2012 gave us a good insight into how Dani and Casey cope when things aren't going all their way.

Reply to this Topic
spdmon

Aug 09

spdmon says:

Race craft-less

I never wrote that he is a bad rider. Please look what I have wrote, and I firmly stand with that! He doesn't have race craft like the rest aliens, and that's clear. He never won a battle, a great duel; Rossi with one leg can beat him, Stoner with ease, and now Pedrosa.

Reply to this Topic
monkeyninja

Sep 11

monkeyninja says:

Luck

That's an interesting one and I agree with Lorenzo99 and Bultoboy comments that many champions have had their fair share of luck. I believe Rossi has a huge amount of talent (still does) but he has been known as one of the luckiest riders during his heyday. Mick Doohan can have the same 'luck' levelled at him - Alex Criville was hardly giving him sleepless nights when he took his world championships.

First past the line seems to be the determining factor as far as I can tell. Most points accumulated wins the championship? Nicky Hayden managed it. It's all about luck - lucky to have a good reliable bike, lucky that your competition is not as strong as it could be, lucky that you saved a highside that could have ended your race or indeed season.

We see many gifted and fast riders that cannot string together a strong season but that's probably the most defining attribute of any champion - stringing it all together and being consistent.

That where Lorenzo is good - he's consistent and tough (mentally and physically). Dani doesn't have the physical strength because he's the size of a child's action figure.

Reply to this Topic
monkeyninja

Sep 11

monkeyninja says:

Everyone on a Honda

That would be a REALLY interesting season.

How interesting would it be if MotoGP had a XXX Cup support race open to all MotoGP competitors. No facking around, you're given a random bike, one practice session. First past the post.

Only problem, it would be carnage and no-one would survive to race the main event. Ha ha!

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

The five P's..

Perfect Planning Prevents Poor Performance..

Last year. Who was doing full race simulations on new tyres, that btw..the riders voted for? Who's been doing them this year and showing frightening pace at the end of those longer stints?

Lorenzo knows and has learnt, that points make prizes. He's no flash in the pan merchant or one lap wonder. In the 16 races he finished last year he was either 1st or 2nd. 

Honda's season was apparently sabbotaged by Don Ezpeleta with a paltry 4kg weight increase and the introduction of evolution tyres?

They won twice as many races as Yamaha, cruising to the manufacturers title and STILL couldn't beat Lorenzo. Everybody else had to deal with exactly the same situation..which was aimed at making the CRT bikes more competitive. Nobody but Repsol..usually through Stoner, complained.

Lorenzo & Rossi are a formidable partnership for Yamaha..and if they can put past differences behind them, working together as a team to improve what is clearly a weaker package, it could be the same story again 2013 for Honda. Nothing would make me laugh harder.

You make your own luck.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

It is definitely a bit dissapointing to see rossi at the bottom of the timing sheets, but i think ther is still a lot more to come. I dont think hes sandbagging; i think hes just being conservative. There is no point in getting hurt before the season starts...as a grizzled veteran, he has to warm up slowly. When the lights go out in quatar, thats when he will push for the extra few tenths. He doesnt want the season over before it begins ala 2010

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices