Skip to content

Ask an Expert vtr firestorm running problems Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > vtr firestorm running problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lpmundy

Mar 13

lpmundy says:

vtr firestorm running problems

hi folks,

i have a 1999 vtr firestorm which has been running fine as i use it regularly until a couple of days ago. the bike started fine and was ticking over ok then when i try to put any revs on it starts spluttering/mis-firing and eventually cuts out. i have replaced the plugs and still the same problem. could this be a problem with the coil ??

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 March 2013 10:35)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

VTR

Welcome Ipmundy,when you start the bike from cold does the choke make the engine rev faster than tickover ? Say 3,000rpm or what? 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm 1999

Hi Lpmundy and welcome to the site :smile

With the info you have given it would be so hard to make a diagnosis,which is already incredible hard anyway without being able to hear and see the bike.The answer to your question could it be a coil is yes,but it could be so many other things as well.When you remove the plugs,were they both the same colour?or was one black or wet with fuel?.The thing is if the bike starts OK running on both cylinders then its probably not a coil,could be,but probably not,so it could be water getting into the plug cap and or the HT lead arcing to the cylinder head?.Try starting up and turn the lights off to see if there's any arcing going on,especially on the front cylinder,if possible have a bottle of water with a spray mister(atomiser)  and spray on the HT leads and plug caps while the bike is idling.It could be dirty fuel,a blocked tank breather,a pipe off the carbs,water and or debris in the carb float bowls,or even a hole or two in the carb slide diaphragms as the bike is now 14 years old.But saying all that i have replaced many cam-chain tensions on these bikes over the years and when one lets go,it often does the same thing(drops a cylinder when trying to rev it up until it cuts out) if it happens at high RPMs which would bend a valve or two.Has yours been a bit rattly lately? it doesn't have to be,they do just break,so as you see it's so hard to make a diagnosis with so little to go on:smilebut we try for you.Whats the milage?when was the oil last changed?hope this gives you a bit of a heads up?Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
davidstowe358

Jun 08

running rough

check the diaphragm in the fuel tap i bet its got a small hole in it i've just changed one in my nephews vtr makes it sound like its running on one cylinder.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices