Skip to content

Discuss This UK MotoGP TV rights: To BT, or not to BT? MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > UK MotoGP TV rights: To BT, or not to BT?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

UK MotoGP TV rights: To BT, or not to BT?

Where British fans will be watching Cal Crutchlow and Valentino Rossi racing in MotoGP next year is about to become clearer, with the hot rumour suggesting the BBC will lose the UK TV rights to the new BT Sport digital channel.The BBC’s five-year contract expires at the end of 2013 and while lengthy negotiations have taken place over an extension...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 May 2013 10:54)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Wulfi

May 13

Wulfi says:

Motogp

Big mistake dorna, unless your going to nick the Eurosport lads, still a big mistake a lot of people can't , or simply don't want to pay.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Here in Holland i pay to watch Moto Gp because i want to see Moto2 and Moto3 as well. Moto Gp i could watch on BBC. I watch Wsbk on Eurosport 1 and 2 preferably on 2 cause it has English comentarry wich is better.Burnicle and Witham are allright! BSB i can see most of the races on Eurosport2 as well. So for now it's ok. But Lets face it? Eventually we will have to pay for every single race. And yes that sucks.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

i don't want to pay for bt sports, when the only thing i would watch on it is the motogp. i'm not the least bit interested in the football or rugby they'll show. annoying.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Money Talks (As usual!)

MOTO GP is a global corporate business as opposed to a 'Sport', along with Football, Golf etc, Its all about money and nothing else...period,   I for one will not be paying to watch MOTO GP, or indeed anything else, not now or ever...If the majority want 'Free To Air' TV, then its up to all of you to make a stand, and refuse to be blackmailed into buying a subcription....if no one signs up then thats the end of their 'Pay TV', but the masses are hooked arent they? This is what the corporations know....prove me wrong.

Reply to this Topic
bluAero

May 12

bluAero says:

Everything counts

It's a bit different for me but I feel your pain my brothers. I too have a hard time finding good coverage at a fair price here in California. I think it would cost me $600 a year to get Speed TV or one of the other motorsport networks. They say I get hundreds of other channels too for that price but I don't want to watch 16 min. of ads per hour per channel. Why would I pay to have people try and sell me things?

The best option for me is motogp.com. Benny's right, it's a good value with little or no advertising. Click on an ad or peruse merchandise if you want - it's optional. My internet speed isn't great but it works really well most of the time.

You get all the sessions live or you can watch them on demand. Another feature with the season pass is the video library which contains every GP from 1992 on. All classes. I got to see Rainey race just once - at Laguna in '87, so I had some catching up to do. 

Ahh yes. '87..... i must tell a short story.

It was a time when I was rarely seen without a girl under each arm, and a Coors in each hand. My only bike was a KX 250, and this was my first time at Laguna Seca. The Paddock was wide open. Just tents, motorhomes and racebikes. It was a Saturday, and something very special indeed was about to get underway. If I had only known, I could have better prepared myself. Maybe put down the beer, dropped the bimbos, prayed. Too busy doing other things to notice the killer, just moments away from forcing me to consider the strength, and depth of courage inside a man.... I was shown something I couldn't have imagined. I was shown the bone-crushing force of a GP 500 machine.

They called it an exhibition. Some called it Europe vs AMA. I just got as close to the track as I could which was about twenty feet away on the inside of turn 11. The flag dropped, or the lights went out, I missed that part. A minute later, Lawson, Mamola, Baldwin, and Spencer came roaring around 10 - the right hander, then hard on the brakes, and out of 11 with front wheels high in the air. It was like standing next to a Saturn V rocket at launch. But what was equally magnificent was Rainey, wringing that 750's neck, hot on their heels. The gap grew steadily, away went the GP boys but Rainey was trying so hard at chasing them, he absolutely destroyed the rest of the AMA field.

That's what I remember about Wayne. That's what I remember about the 500. The fire inside. God bless, my friend.

If you're not sure about this pass, wait till the half season pass comes out. 9 races for about half the money and you should get a discount for 2014.

This discussion reminds me of the lyrics of a song from a band that was big here back in the 80's:

"The grabbing hands, grab all they can. Everything counts in large amounts."     

Reply to this Topic
BarkerBill

Feb 12

BarkerBill says:

TV rights to BT!

I'm a BT shareholder and as such, I am fully behind any price increase they may, and hopefully will, choose to implement. You've all had it too good for too long!

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

Barker ill

Barker ill you need to get out more,I ain't paying bt for the race coverage, all ill do is subscribe to moto gp.com (dorna)& pay£90 for the year, which will be cheaper than bt & have better commentary so all ill do is plug my laptop into my tv & hey presto better coverage

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

£90 for the year, fuck that.

£10 or what ever the price is for the season review DVD for me.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Any motorbike sport is sadly a minority sport not attracting the masses (occasional windows of popularity increase) but over all like biking itself - it does not have wide appeal.

When the BBC got the contract it was a good oportunity to get it into every household - perhaps the Beeb have not done the best with it....nor the worst. Sadly Motogp needs veiwers as well as money - and now it looks like Dorna have opted for money. Very sad state.

Reply to this Topic
NutMagnet

Jul 09

NutMagnet says:

BT or whoever can pay what they want for the rights but I won't be paying to watch it... It seems when a TV programme is promoted by the BBC and becomes popular the Pay TV companies think they can just snatch the rights and make some money..

The BBC team of presenters at present Matt, Azi, Steve and Charlie are a great team and the thought of watching Clare Balding and Jake Humphrey would be another reason not to pay but save some cash through the year and go watch a couple of races live..

I think it will be a bad move for all concerned.. DORNA, BT and Motorcycle sales for the factory teams... "watch it on Sunday.... Buy it on Monday" as the saying goes..

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices