Skip to content

HONDA Used buying guide: Honda VFR VFR750

You are in... Forums > HONDA > VFR750 > Used buying guide: Honda VFR

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Used buying guide: Honda VFR

Since its launch in 1986, Honda’s legendary sports tourer has become an institution. With a formidable reputation for reliability, the VFR has stood the test of time. But it wasn’t always so. The VFR can trace its roots back to some pretty disastrous mid-1980s V4s. Believing the V4 produced the optimum power and torque, Honda launched a family of bikes that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 May 2013 10:28)

Post a message in VFR750

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Research?

Interesting to read of the VFR's improved reliability over the VF.

Had you done some research you would have discovered that the early model VFR had a recall for camshafts.

Mine munched its way through two sets and also had a whole new bottom end.

It was without doubt the most unreliable motorcycle I have ever owned and at the same time one of the best.

After the engine had been rebuilt by the very excellent and helpful Victor Devine (shameless plug) the thing was just fantastic.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

reliability???

you haven't mentioned the VFR's appalling record for unreliability. Steel exhaust headers which rot inside of 3 years, seizing swing arm bearings, a host of electrical faults and the most unreliable gearbox in the business.

I had 2 before Honda officially admitted there was an issue with the gearbox - the 2nd one actually locked up on me - thankfully it was at 30mph otherwise it would have been very nasty.

my Honda dealer had the bike for months, had to send the engine back to Honda who took ages to fix it due to the backlog.

it rode well and sounded good though!

but all things considered, never again!

Cheers,

BAz

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Had a 800Fi

for 3 years, loved it. Put 12,000 mls on it and it wasn't new when I got it, replaced a reg/rec and had the pcb behind the clocks sorted (corrosion), twas on original headers anorl. No bitching from me, proper nice bike :)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

I ran an early VFR8 for a year or two..great bike, never let me down but..

I also ran what I reckon is probably one of the most under-rated bikes on the planet, an Aprilia RST Futura, and for me..there's no comparison.

Grunty, bulletproof Rotax built 1000cc V-twin in a top-spec rolling chassis. More comfortable and engaging, real world faster & just as practical..if you can look after it yourself.

A good bike can be had for two grand. Bargain of the decade. Great UK website..check it out.

http://www.apriliafutura.co.uk/v2/

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

worst ever

its not like i have ridden as much bike's as MCN but i can honestly say that this bike was the wors bike i have ever ridden. it doesn't have the torque and it sure hasn't the top-end power. it was realy dull to ride and nothing on the bike pleased me. and you could realy feel the change from 2 valves to 4 valves.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

VFR

I lIke the looks of these bikes and had considered getting one, but have been put off by the purported complexity of the motor. Wasn't MCN going to do an article about valve adjustment on these bikes which I don't think ever appeared.. Something along the lines of "Is valve adjustment a DIY job on the VFR?" in the questions and answers section, or did I miss an issue? Do all my own repairs and maintenance so it's an important factor.

Reply to this Topic
ava123

May 13

ava123 says:

Jackson. I just agree... Ralph`s st0rry is something... on tuesday I got a new Renault 5 sincee geting a check for $7248 this past five weeks and more than ten grand last-month. this is actually my favourite-job Ive had. I actually started 4 months ago and practically straight away started bringin in minimum $73 per hour. , kep2.comCHECK IT OUT

Reply to this Topic
urbanfireblade

Sep 11

VFR 750 '96

It's hard to explain what a VFR means to me, it's not really an exciting bike to ride but on almost every occasion I seem to choose it over my other 2 motorbikes whether it be for a short commute or 100+ miles ride out. Approaching nearly 2000 miles in 2 months and it's been faultless. Returns anywhere between 51-58mpg depending on riding style. High mpg are on motorways, lower end is commuting short journeys locally.

It's comfortable, smooth, despite a low screen it works very well. Gearbox is not slick but 100% precise as it 'snicks' into gear. Very direct feel to it, and chain life with a scottoiler means adjustment every 1500 miles. And that's only to reduce up and down movement by 5mm!

A wonderful bike to own, a downside is the general lack of storage anywhere. Under the seat there's only space for the tool kit and a puncture kit. So a small Oxford tank bag is ideal for carrying a disc lock and bungee straps/net and a spare regulator rectifier but a Tour Tec one seems to be the most reliable. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices