Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Getting my knee down General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Getting my knee down

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Getting my knee down

"I've been on a couple of trackdays now, one at Brands Hatch, one at Snetterton, and I really thought I'd lose my knee-down virginity – but didn't. I'm 5'11", and ride a bog-stock 2002 Honda Fireblade 954, and the 'hero blobs' are touching down, but my knee isn't. The bike is leant over far enough, I'm lapping in the middle...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 May 2013 17:13)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikeserv

Apr 13

bikeserv says:

Your body position is probably wrong,seeing some pictures of you while cornering and comparing them with others might help you.You might try to extend your leg out to drag it,but some ppl actually push their knee lower on the bike,so even when you`re bike is low,you cant get to the tarmac.If the blobs are draging and your knee isnt,its body position.Your height doesnt matter.If you fix your position you`ll be able to go knee down,and still have some lean in reserve.Just practise it and check how you are seating on the bike.

Another thing to consider is to go and do some lessons,like California Superbike School.Since you just started doing trackdays,learning from these guys will make you faster,safer,and you wont have any bad habbits that some ppl do cause they were doing things wrong for some time.Attending schools like CSS will help you in all aspects of riding and exploring your bike,and doing it in stages so that you wont crash.Be safe and ride smart

Reply to this Topic
andsetinn

Jul 12

andsetinn says:

Removing the hero blobs would allow your knees to go lower. :) Based on my friends advice (who used to race in the early nineties) get a smaller bike. On a 125 racing bike there is supposedly barely enough room for your leg between the tarmac and the bike. Also relax and concentrate on getting better track times, the knee down will come automatically once you feel comfortable and start shaving those 10th of seconds of your lap time.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

"What am I doing wrong"

Over thinking the situation. Getting your knee down is a by-product of fast riding, not a cause of it. Instead of worrying about this silly fad, concentrate on improving your riding technique and getting the best lap time you can. As the times come down and your ability rises, you will no doubt get your knee down regardless. In my experience the ability to seriously hussle a bike round a track and get a good lap time is far more satisfying than scraping a piece of plastic on the ground.

Reply to this Topic
larakrazy

May 13

larakrazy says:

must be body position, if the bike is leaning enough your position should be as up front and close to the tank as possible, tip of the toe on the foot peg leg pointing outwards, edge off the seat, leaning with your body and looking to the side of the screen where the mirror goes, i just comes naturally, I'm a girl 4 foot 11 and I've got no problem, don't force it, if you're in intermediate your doing good enough lap times. It's not the most important thing, it helps to guide you through the curve to find the reference point of leaning the bike and from there you know you can press that little bit harder or just touch, scrape a bit and push up again. When you do, it's scary .. but you like it .. and want more ..... then you need to buy sliders constantly !! As I say it's fun and addictive but not 100% necessary to ride faster, it helps that's all. also try yo compare pics of your position with your mates, that helps, the first times I rode on track I thought I was way off the seat, and after looking at the pics it turned out that I wasn't ... it just felt like I was !! Practice makes perfect, leave the bike as it is ( I hope you remove the mirrors) and just try to flow with the bike and lean with it

Reply to this Topic
Spreaders88

Jan 11

Spreaders88 says:

You could be sitting too far back which restricts your ability to get off the bike even though it feels like you are! Slide right into the tank as you position your arse off the seat just before braking. Also, buy Simon Crafar's Motovudu dvd, it's worth more than all the internet dredged advice put together (and you can SEE what he means). Good Luck! p.s find a quiet roundabout ;)

Reply to this Topic
mick662723

Mar 10

mick662723 says:

Knee down

One cheek off / hang off leaning forward around tank...push your knee down NOT out...Voila

Reply to this Topic
dixiekid

May 13

dixiekid says:

If, as you say, you have the bike leant over enough why do you need/want to get your knee down? It's not compulsory. It just a fad that in normal circumstances is completely unnecessary.

Reply to this Topic
dixiekid

May 13

dixiekid says:

If, as you say, you have the bike leant over enough why do you need/want to get your knee down? It's not compulsory. It just a fad that in normal circumstances is completely unnecessary.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Easy

I even got my knee down whilst riding my Enfield Bullet, mind you it was when I was tumbling through a farmers field as the bike disintegrated....

Reply to this Topic
Zinfandel92

Apr 13

Zinfandel92 says:

arse into the curve -> knee down

Hi,

so this was my experience:
on my first track day, I've ridden some BMW's, S100RR, K1300R, HP2 Sport...
Lean angle was high, and I thought, my body was that much down I almost hit the street... but I did not get my knee down.

So, on year after, I booked a "lean angle course" with one of those bikes having "wings with weels"... do not know how to call them...

The instructor did a setup with this bike in a way, that we should bring the knee down even with only 40 degrees. We learned that for that angle, you'd really need to push your arse off the bike into the curve. I noticed that I was blocked on my first track day... I just did not dare to lean more into the curve.
That course was really simple and it helped me a lot to improve my driving technique.

I just noticed, that on my first trackday, I was simply wrong: the lean angle was not high enough, and my body was not moved enough into the curve... that's it.
Once you achieved it, it was not a problem anymore.

On my second track day, two weeks ago, I had my knees down often enough.

Important: do not forget to bring out the upper part of you body as well, otherwise you'll be stiffened.

So, have fun.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices