Skip to content

TRIUMPH Staff Blog: Fair-weather rider? I wish STREET TRIPLE R

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > STREET TRIPLE R > Staff Blog: Fair-weather rider? I wish

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Tony Hoare  says:

Staff Blog: Fair-weather rider? I wish

This year I’ve been trying to turn myself into a fair weather rider. Honestly, it’s not me, it’s the bike  - I don’t mind riding in the wet and have done thousands of miles in the rain over the years. But the Street Triple R really doesn’t like the wet. The handling doesn’t inspire me to commute the long way on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 May 2013 15:25)

Post a message in STREET TRIPLE R

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

Fair weather

Tony,  I don't think we're getting any summer this year, it just doesn't seem to be getting any warmer.  Anyway you guys on MCN staff can afford all the best gear like £500 helmets and £1000 jackets so you shouldn't even notice the weather. Doesn't  Chad commute 160 miles each day? He has to contend with the same weather as you do..  Anyhow your dad says he'll sort out your gear if you take it down to him, but he's not doing your bike..

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

One of my neighbours has an MV Augusta which only ever comes out when it's 100% dry - which probably explains why he only averages 1400 miles a year.  I'm always amazed that people in the UK can spend big bucks on a bike that sees so little use... and they say the economy's stuffed!  I reckon it's for the image, not the riding.

Reply to this Topic
mjf65

Feb 03

mjf65 says:

If the tyres are anything like the Racetechs that were on my new Speed Triple then no wonder you don't like the wet, they were bloody awful, a pair of Pilot Road 3's soon sorted the wet weather grip out and summer rain is warmer than the winter version. Enjoy your Triple, you can't fault them.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

romford4

What you describe is very common in the US. If you look at our Internet classifieds, you will find many bikes with less than 2,000 miles per year on them (particularly cruisers).

The best foul weather bike I have found is the Honda Dullsville in silver.  The windscreen can be pulled up in a couple of seconds at a stop, and wind protection is good from the knees on up.  Plenty of locking storage for a set of waterproofs, and the silver color does not show up dirt too badly.  And most of the naughty bits being covered up means one can get the bike reasonably presentable in a couple of minutes with a garden hose.  And of course, no exposed drive chain to clean and re-lube.  (No wonder Honda only sold 17 units in the US.)

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Like Romford4 , I know a father & son who own M.V. Augusta's  and very rarely venture out on them , if they do and the weather is good they never go far . Another couple of old fella"s in our local bike club are forever changing their bikes , one has changed his 5 times in the last year ,I don't think he's done more than 500 miles on any of them .  I don't see the point of keeping the bike road legal and  never using it  , my younger brother has 4 bikes but won't wander far from his cars heater even in reasonable weather . When I was young most lads started on bikes then went to a four wheeler after obtaining a family , and the bike was used every day, wind & rain as transport  , sadly now most are Sunday toys . You only have  only to read the bike adverts ,the mileage on most bikes are extremely low .

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

It doesn't need

to be like that.  My Yam XT660X isn't a poser's bike .  I gets a full 'valet' every summer, and a quick bucket & sponge wash most other weeks.  Clothing is a basic RST Alpha jacket, Sartso jeans, RST boots and cheap Gericke gloves.  I can ride with this gear on down to around 4C for an hour or two.  Anything below 4C then I have to put on some cheap thermal long-johns and t-shirt.  Wet weather gear currently consists of a rubberised jacket and matching over-trousers that I was given for free for a job I did nearly 12 years ago.  No fancy taped seams or gortex, and it keeps me 95% dry in the worst weather. 

Reply to this Topic
ava123

May 13

ava123 says:

just before I looked at the draft that said $7577, I did not believe that...my... friend could truly earning money parttime on there computar.. there mums best friend had bean doing this 4 less than twenty two months and just cleard the debts on their villa and purchased a top of the range Maserati. read more at, kep2.comCHECK IT OUT

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Get some all-weather tyres

And a decent aftermarket screen. I can't praise the Michelin Road Pilot 3's enough, they perform better than the stock Dunlops in the dry and give the best wet grip I've experienced. The trouble I find commuting on A roads and motorways when it's raining is the time spend filtering in the same position; right foot and fingers covering the breaks, body bent halfway between streamlined and upright for over 2 and a half hours (for a journey that typically takes me 1 1/2 hours dry - 2 hours in rain and heavier-than-normal traffic)! Not fun. Rain only made it worse, even though I stayed dry enough with my waterproofs. Bloody bank holiday traffic. The next day (with amazing sunshine) I went to the dealer to look at swapping the bike and can now see why adventure bikes/tall tourers are so popular these days - with full luggage kit they're great tourers, sans-luggage they're great commuters. Just not a fan of how they look but I am now more than tempted to swap.

Reply to this Topic
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

You're not alone

As I commute to work every day by bike, this year I have mainly been a shit-weather rider. I would like to thank the British weather for this making this happen.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices