Skip to content

BMW Staff Blog: Hello Moto(rrad) R1200GS

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS > Staff Blog: Hello Moto(rrad)

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Staff Blog: Hello Moto(rrad)

If you’d told me ten years ago that I’d be ecstatic at the prospect of riding an R1200GS as a longterm test bike, I’d have been breathless with laughter before any sort of verbal response could form on my lips. But back in the here and now, I’m just that – ecstatic. So what’s changed? Well there’s no point pretending that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 May 2013 15:49)

Post a message in R1200GS

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cavetroll87

Aug 10

Cavetroll87 says:

Good old Moby, as an avid FB reader was a shame to see him leave but this is the best article I have read on here for a long time and so much better than all the other blogs that just say "I got new tyres" Keep up the good work Mr Newland. MCN needs someone who can actually write a decent article now, may stop them just pumping out stupid polls instead of doing any real work!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Looks like

A Triumph.....Clone

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Toilet GS

The rad's are fairly exposed. They need some cymarc protection on there...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Best...

Best part about riding the new R1200GS is that you do not have to look at it.

If I was going to buy an R1200, I would wait for the sport-touring version - will work as well or better for most riding, and has not been beaten with the ugly stick.

And if I was going to do real off-road riding on a BMW, it would be on a G650GS Sertao.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Hmmmm...

"If you’d told me ten years ago that I’d be ecstatic at the prospect of riding an R1200GS as a longterm test bike, I’d have been breathless with laughter before any sort of verbal response could form on my lips."

15 years ago I went off for a weekend with a friend's bike club to Wales for the weekend... I was the youngest rider there & had an 1100GS & was endlessly laughed at by the proper bikers on jap sportsbikes, despite the fact that, with full luggage & 2-up, at worst I could keep in touch with them (on straighter blasts) & at best I was running rings round them on twisty country roads (it helped that I rode all year round & was far more experienced on my bike). Next year there were 4 on them & we made far better time & far fewer stops (endlessly moaned about by the proper bikers)... what took you so long?

... I went on to get an 1150... then Ewan & Charley fired up, the price went through the roof & every 2nd bike on the road was a GS. You could see other GS owners sneer as they saw that you didn't have 15 fog lamps, a GPS & an aftermarket screen because of that terrible buffeting that everyone continually moaned about (?). "Standard horn? Are you mad?"... apparently if you don't sound like an ocean liner having an argument with a lighthouse you're asking for trouble!

Things have moved on... the 800 is almost as powerful as the 1150 was, but lighter & cheaper with better fuel economy, handling & a less soiled image (IMO). There are plenty of other alternatives from many manufacturers... the freedom of choice. I think I'd still have one, but not in place of the bike I have now.

Reply to this Topic
pearsonsnose

Apr 09

pearsonsnose says:

Cavetroll

There's room for both sorts of blog about the MCN bikes isn't there? This one is pretty good but doesn't really say much in detail about the bike (mpg, tank range etc.......the things that matter to GS riders) while the sort of blogs about tyres are interesting because that's an important thing to know about as they are bloody expensive and crap ones are still the same sort of money and can be easily avoided if you get the right information.

Still think they are all lucky buggers getting free bikes though!

Reply to this Topic
Cavetroll87

Aug 10

Cavetroll87 says:

I just meant compare this with the other blog posted yesterday that was 2 sentances and said Im getting new tyres, its probably going to rain. which im not being funny provided literally zero useful information.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Good review

Looking forward to your feedback on the Metzeler Tourance next tyres moby! Your comments will help me choose if I stick them on my gs, I have a sports bike background so Tyres are important to me , I echo your comments about the change in attitude towards such bikes... I've got an RSV-R Mille also, but I only enjoy it in small doses lol, just come back from a long weekend in Scotland on the gs with friends , we all had a great time tear arseing about , a gs in the right hands can play with anything except on the long straights , friends complained about poor road surfaces etc etc .... All went unnoticed to me and the other gs, they're not everyone's cup of tea .... you just have to get over your ego to ride one lol ....maybe that's why some blokes just will never ride one , they're a big comfy SuperMoto at the end of the day ...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
TenBears

Aug 02

TenBears says:

GS

nahh, you're mixed up kiddo. The SuperTen or Explorer are way better bikes.

Reply to this Topic
TheReg

Jul 12

TheReg says:

Still, probably the best 'do it all' bike on the planet - and even better now!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices