Skip to content

Discuss This Race attendance are on the slide – why? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Race attendance are on the slide – why?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Race attendance are on the slide – why?

Race attendance are on the slide – why? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 June 2013 17:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shrimper

Aug 08

shrimper says:

attendance

drop the price and put some effort in. Like include a small program, map,Schedule and some info would be good.

Reply to this Topic
cheapy

Jun 05

cheapy says:

Family day out?

Introduce a family ticket, stop the over charging of event based food stalls, better access in and out, better security for motorbike parks, focus on the fans and not the profit

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

TV coverage...

... if people don't know about it they won't go. MotoGP went from no terrestrial TV coverage & 18,000 attendances to 90,000+ when the BBC started airing it. BSB never had such a following as when it was properly covered, live on terrestrial. How can joe public be expected to have an interest in the personalities & battles within a championship if they can only see it once a year at their local circuit & they don't even know it's on?

Reply to this Topic
hello4646

Oct 08

hello4646 says:

TV

Rossi does good = Record crowds over the last 10 years Rossi does Shite = Crowds decrease over the last two years Simples

Reply to this Topic
johnprout

Aug 02

johnprout says:

TV

Get some mates round, Get a pack of beers, Get some snacks, switch on the 50" LCD and see every glorious corner/overtake/manoeuvre. Better coverage, better facilities, better food and you can have a beer ...or pay the government petrol tax, get stuck in traffic, get fleeced by the ticket prices, eat a warm packed lunch, see one corner (possibly), get wet in the rain on the way home ..you choose! You could even go out for a ride the Saturday before and you've got it all covered.

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

Many of us

won't be able to watch MotoGP on the telly after this season as tied into contracts with other services or can't/wont pay the extra to watch on demand. I go to a lot of circuits and generally find it expensive (me and the Mrs take a picnic and eat really well for very little). BSB isn't too expensive to go to and my 19 year old son comes occassionally too. He will be on two wheels pretty soon. Initially he had only a slight interest, but after a few meetings at Brands, Oulton, Snetterton etc. he began to feel closer to the teams and personalities, which gave him more of a vested interest in the sport, results, politics and all that. This is the route to the sport growing and TV has a big part to play. I would love the BBC to replace the loss of MotoGP with live BSB. We don't always go to the circuits and every now and then I admit to a little laziness and enjoy my racing on TV. However, I do go to the circuits as often as my work and social life allows and always feel very enthusiastic, thrilled and satisfied with my experience, done the way that works best for me and my family. Please show more of our sport on TV to showcase it to us AND the potential up and coming audience and young bikers. If they all feel connected to the sport and the personalities they will watch it on the telly and flock to the meetings. We're all going to visit family in California for our hols and hitting Laguna Seca in July (just squeezed in on last day of the trip!). Oulton and Cadwell in August for BSB, then a few of us plus the ladies riding to Nurburgring for WSB in early September. Finale of the year is going to be the fastest route possible down to Valencia for last MotoGp, hopefully within 24 hours!! Phew! and staying the weekend, back on Monday (She's flying and meeting me there, has too soft an arse for that). I'm not rich and just retired on a small pension...how do i do it? Don't smoke, drink moderately, budget carefully and do the food thing etc. myself to save spending on unneccessaries. Now where's the remote and what time is the TT on good old ITV4. I'm going next year Deffo!!!!!  Put it all on TV PLEASE, for FREE, nurture our connection with the sport and the people

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Rugby League

Rugby League used to be much more popular. It even got popular enough that sky bought the TV rights. Now there are clubs closing down and going bankrupt. Lesson: If you want a minority sport to remain popular... make sure it's on terrestrial television.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

Facilities are shit and tannoys don't work so you never know what is going on................. better coverage on TV.

Reply to this Topic
muddy686

Aug 11

muddy686 says:

As good as the atmosphere is at BSB/WSB/Moto GP, you're limited to seeing one piece of the action per lap.  At home I get to sit on the sofa - not a camp chair/wet grass, At home I get to have a bacon sarnie and mug of tea for free - not for £10, at home I get to watch the action around the whole circuit including instant replays and on bike cameras with rider/pit crew interviews and good commentary - not crackly faint tannoys and vague rumours that Crutchlow has lost it on the opposite side of the circuit, which I wouldn't have seen anyway as the crowd at that corner is 7 deep, at home when it rains I'm still warm and dry - not cold and wet and looking for the Kawasaki hospitality tent.

That said I still go to at least one event a year.  Sometimes its all about the atmosphere. And as good as my telly is the noise and smell of racing just isnt the same in my front room!

Reply to this Topic
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

But we just CAN'T

All spend our lives in front of a screen like our dopey youngsters do! It's not real life and it's not living. To live you have to get out there and feel it rushing through your body. Surely as motorcyclists we all know that. I can't ride my bike in my living room. TV is just a handy back-up to actually being there.

Very correct about the tannoy too, it's often too loud believe it or not and if you are close to the speaker it totally invades your other senses and enjoyment. The sound quality is terrible!

I research the best place to view the racing and occasionally move around a bit between events. Use the TV screens, where provided, to see the unseen and embrace the fact that excitement and rumour around the circuit about what has happened elsewhere causes a buzz and excitement. That's what it's all about surely, the REAL LIFE Atmosphere. 

Don't get me wrong, as I said before, I do watch on TV when circumstances conspire to stop my attendance but I'm sorry, getting delivered an, albeit cheap, tea and sarny by my lovely wife, while avoiding interruption by the dog farting and Grandma (who's come round for Sunday lunch)snoring,  and the grown-up (but still sitting picking their nose while on facebook) children, just doesn't make up for actually being there and feeling it!   

And the wife loves it too, so she'd rather be passing me some food and a flask of tea from our picnic hamper at the side of the circuit while shrieking at the sight of Josh Brookes trying to rocket past Shaky Byrne, just as Ryuichi Kiyonari breaks down, or crashes...or both! It's brilliant!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices