Skip to content

BMW Staff Blog: I bet it won’t go off-road… R1200GS

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS > Staff Blog: I bet it won’t go off-road…

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Richard Newland  says:

Staff Blog: I bet it won’t go off-road…

Whether I’m picking up a curry on a Saturday night, filling up with petrol somewhere, or answering calls from readers who are thinking of buying one (or never buying one) – I’m regularly bombarded by the sure assertion that the R1200GS must be rubbish when the Tarmac gives way to the soft stuff. It’s a slightly odd assertion considering...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 June 2013 10:14)

Post a message in R1200GS

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Deep, Loose Sand?

I will instead take my inline beach buggy (Yamaha TW200) at half the weight when riding in the really loose and soft stuff, thank you.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

its no ktm 990 adv :)  wasnt it last one standing in last year off road test tho i the look of the new 1190 i would put money on the bmw been better

tho i am the 1st one to admit anything more than a fire road/grass field i go get my gasgas enduro out as i cost me lest than one set of panels for the 990 and if your not falling off your not trying lol

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Off road

Isn't it odd, that the people that complain the most about GSs NOT going off road, usually ride sports bikes that have NEVER been on a race track??

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

off road

Why do people keep knocking these, just look at You Tube for people riding these offroad getting air under them and really flying, you just need to be good, and it would be easier on a lighter low geared bike with huge off road tyres, but then  you wouldnt ride one of them at 100mph two up on the moterway either, I think they can be good off road, its just how many poeple would want to ride a £13K bike offroad knowing its going to get bashed about etc , its possible ,but most people wouldnt. As eatcs01 says, how many people could or would use a Blade on track to its potential?

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Off-road.

OK, so it can go off-road with a skilled rider aboard, but similarly YouTube has videos of R1s on sand dunes, muddy fields and even frozen lakes. My point is it's a perverse choice for the role. Would it be in the Off-Road course's inventory if it wasn't sponsored by BMW, I wonder. Nice bikes though.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices