Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph’s Harley-Davidson clone war New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Triumph’s Harley-Davidson clone war

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph’s Harley-Davidson clone war

Do not adjust your eyes…these two bikes are new Triumph cruisers, not Harley-Davidsons; one of which will be launched shortly as a rival to the Harley-Davidson Road King, the other has been disguised as a Harley Electra-Glide. Look closely and you will see the engine is the parallel-twin from the Triumph Thunderbird in both of these bikes – the engine that...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 July 2013 10:33)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikertriumph

Jul 13

bikertriumph says:

ok I have been waiting for triumph to step up and do this for years now and others like me also... this will be my next bike..it about damn time...Thank you Triumph

Ed Smith .....Finger Lakes New York

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Triumph probably thinks

Triumph probably thinks that being original didn't get them anywhere, so, they might as well go after the mainstream market and sell out.

This is a perfect example of what happens when the suits or bean counters take over and the percentage points are valued over talent and passion.  What they don't know if yes, you can sell bike if you are original, just look at Ducati, but for that, you need two things: 1) talent, 2) management that cares about talent.

In the case of Triumph we have copy cats, managed by bean counters, managed by former Harley execs. 

Good bye Triumph, you are lost into a dark abyss of mediocrity and the management is fully to blame.

Reply to this Topic
gjw1992

Dec 05

gjw1992 says:

Not these

There is space in Triumph's range for 'cruiser' or 'custom' style bikes. I seriously looked at the T-bird Storm - comfy, good and very purposeful looking, decent tank size, and not ridiculously priced. Bit more boldness on my part, or maybe a bit more power in the bike without going to their accessory catalogue would have clinched it. HD doesn't own the whole custom or cruiser world. But this/these bikes - they are pure HD knock offs. Would you really want to ride the A66 on one of these rather than route 66 on a 'real' Harley tourer?

Reply to this Topic
foc17dg

Jul 13

foc17dg says:

For those that don't want a pre-packaged image

I like the Harleys but not the inferred lifestyle that seems to follow the brand. I love riding good handling bikes with modern engines. Triumph gives me both without the image hangover. The Triumph Thunderbird Storm may be based on Harley styling but its a great style so I am happy to cruise the miles and let one Harley after another roar past. I don't get twisted up by the fact that another brand did it first. A classic style is a classic style.

Reply to this Topic
TheReg

Jul 12

TheReg says:

Nah.....Just someone's idea of a joke...probably photoshopped.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Is the current fad for cruisers, café racers, whatever the sub genre you want to name them, the tacit recognition that perhaps sports bikes are, in this current climate and road conditions, redundant or irrelevant? 

As a red blooded sort of chap, I do wonder if that time has now passed.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

End of Sport Bikes?

billysollocks - Well, at least the race replicas have become poor bikes for anything but advanced riders on the track. But there is still room for more upright sport bikes with power-bands and gearing set up for street riding, e.g. Ninja 650.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

You can see Triumph have got their heads screwed -on ,and are aware of the cool name , brand & lifestyle that Harley have created over many years . But the best they can hope for is they will appeal to "born again " bikers or  part time , Sunday cruiser types who cannot afford a Harley or are afraid of the reliability factor . You would never get the lifestyle ,Harley rider off his mount for another bike of any description ,except perhaps an  old Indian ! . And didn't they sue Kawasaki for making the Drifter ,because it was a poor copy ? . But manufacturers beware ,if the U.S.A. feel  like their companies are being oppressed we will have a situation as before with big engine sizes blocked and massive import duties in place .

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

I don't..

..fault other brands for wanting to get a slice of the Harley pie but enough is enough! I'm going to make a gross generalization in the form of a question...Which came first, the Harley or the Scofflaw types who seem to gravitate toward them like no other? Anyone who denies there's a strong image that draws many toward the brand are either blind or part of the lifestyle and can't see past it. To replicate that simply by styling other bikes similarly is missing the point. Other brands have to try but until the culture that surrounds HD subsides I don't believe they'll make much of a dent.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Good Thing Too

sack1 - Harley-Davidson can have their Lifestyle™ customer base and sod off with it. The Lifestyle™ and biker culture (USian definition of biker) is the prime reason I would never own a H-D (Aermacchi built bikes and Topper scooters excepted).

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices