Skip to content

Discuss This Video: How to use a paddock stand General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Video: How to use a paddock stand

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: How to use a paddock stand

We regularly get people asking us for help and advice on bikes and bike maintenance. This is a continuing series of 'how to' videos. brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 July 2013 10:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Good/Bad/Exceptional

I've had all of them over the years.  Cups are great on lightweight machinery but you need to opt for bobbins if you've got something with a little more weight.  My R1 was fine with cups, but my 12R just couldn't cope with the extra weight.  If you're going to want to lift the front as well then just get an ABBA setup.  They're fantastic and you'll even be able to get the whole front off, forks and all with one.

Reply to this Topic
jeffpatrick

Jun 13

jeffpatrick says:

As follows; (always worked for me at least, never dropped it, never felt like it was going to drop!)

1. Bike on side stand, front wheel either to left or straight ahead.

2. Position paddock stand under bobbins at same angle as bike on side stand; ie: right paddock stand wheel off ground.

3. Hold strap on rear seat and whilst lifting bike off side stand gently pull backwards on strap. You have to be sensible but bike basically locates itself into paddock stand cups.

4. Pull bike back on paddock stand.

5. When returning bike to side stand do same as before but in reverse and with three hints;

Hint 1: Never flip up side stand as it's easy to forget when returning.

Hint 2: Keep front wheel either straight or to the left.

Hint 3: Get a second person for the first couple of try's.

Don't know if this is the right way, but it is very easy. My bike weighs about 188KG, I weigh about 60KG

No horrible backlash please!! Just saying it works for me :-))

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Stand.

jeffpatrick, no backlash, you're quite right and have provided key information which MCN's video inexplicably avoided. Since the paddock stand won't align until the bike is vertical I made some thick card disks which slot over the swingarm bobbins to prevent scratching.

Regarding the sidestand, my aforementioned Abba Stand kicks the side stand up on my R1 but not on my Kawasaki, so that's something to look out for when lowering the bike.

Reply to this Topic
jeffpatrick

Jun 13

jeffpatrick says:

Good idea

Good advice James600zx. Mine are scratched, but more importantly for first time users of paddock stands is to adjust the width correctly, as I found out to my detriment on my last bike (2010 675) leaving nice big gouge marks on each side of the powder coated swing arms.

Gutted!!! But it's a mistake you only make once!!

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

Yes, as others noted, getting the bike to vertical is the tricky bit. Luckily, MCN have an R1 that magicallly parkes itself vertically.

The rest is easy. I have an R1 and basically align the stand to the left bobbin, grip the left rear passenger foot peg and carefully manouveur into position. 10 years later and I don't worry about it.

Just in case the bike falls to the right, I used to put a cardboard box or helmet (they're cheaper than bike parts) so the bike wd fall on that. Luckily I never had to see if it wd work

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

FFS

should you be on the road if you need this vid!!!made my own fixings etc for the busa.what next how to clean the bike do a oil change, plugs.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices