Skip to content

Discuss This Honda unlikely to sell all production machines for 2014 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Honda unlikely to sell all production machines for 2014

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Honda unlikely to sell all production machines for 2014

Honda has admitted as many of two of its new production RC213V racers could go unsold for the 2014 MotoGP world championship.The Japanese factory had made available five production versions of its factory RC213V prototypes at a cost of between £800,000 and £1m for next season but presently only one order has been placed by Fausto Gresini’s Italian-based squad.That bike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 July 2013 13:48)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pogo_it

Jul 05

pogo_it says:

money saving

Single ecu and software, save millions on software / hardware development. As a bonus it then becomes very simple to ban traction control. Its not as though the manufacturers are using motogp as a development arena for their tc, unless I am mistaken and they are currently mapping all the worlds roads to enable them to aoffer gps driven turn by turn tc systems?

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

It would be great to see the likes of Suzuki coming back but I am not so sure on Kawasaki returning though.

Reply to this Topic
kizzat

Dec 10

kizzat says:

Suzuki

Why don't Suzuki supply engines Get a years under the belt development and get used to the marelli Ecu surely it would be beneficial to them and a cheap way if doing send a thew engineers beats taking the hole truck and team

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Of course..

..pogo is right and Bob, who struggles to keep Rossi bashing out of ANY comment, lets his bias even further undermine an already shallow understanding of the sport.

21 litres(20 next year) and 5 engines is NOT racing motorcycles..it's an exercise in rule making to gain the upper hand. The MSMA proposed and voted these rules in..NOT Dorna.

It's not even trickle down R&D. Corner by corner mapping is RACE Specific and only works within the relatively simple confines of a track, say 15 corners.

Practical street application - with roads being closed one day and open the next meaning diversions, plus speed limits and changeable road surfaces due to weather/various states of repair - makes the idea a complete non starter.

Then there's the cost of putting it on your production bike and the fact you don't need to make 20 litres last because there is a petrol station round the corner.

Do you buy a brand new Blade for it's fuel economy?

Ezpeleta is hoping Honda & Yamaha back themselves into a corner over this pre-occupation with limited fuel and engines.

He understands that a healthy series needs to encourage competition and will give the Non Factory bikes whatever they need to close the gap. 17 months in to 1000cc and CRT bikes, the gap HAS closed dramatically and will continue to do so.

You buy a production RCV knowing Honda will not allow the bike to compete with it's factory bikes. Yamaha have even more control over their lease M1 deals. The new non factory bikes from Japan will have their performance limited dependant on the same companys full-blown factory bikes' ability to sip 20 litres and last three-and-a-half rounds per engine.

Carmelo may tweak the rules further to balance performance, maybe 18 litres for Factory..26 for Non. He might give the Non's more engines.

You just watch the Japs spit the dummy and insist Aprilia run to Factory rules when they start getting closer still.

Why should Aprilia, or any other factory considering entry to GP, have to play under rules that disadvantage them, they didn't vote for and have fuck all to with racing motorcycle's in in any purist way shape or form? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

To play devil's advocate

The only thing I would say about letting the manufacturers go nuts with unrestricted prototypes is that pretty quickly the bikes would become lethal again, and it would be back to the bad old days of the 70s 80s etc. I don't know how far away current MotoGP bikes are from being unrideable, but if you let the bike manufacturers make them as fast as they could, then they would, as they want to win above all else.

There's a balance to be struck, although I agree the new rules are pretty dull. I would say that as long as they can prove there is trickle-down to road bikes then do what you want. KERS would make an entertaining addition, and would definitely sell bikes in the showroom.

Basically I'd like to see the riders not end their careers in a wheelchair or pine box, whilst having the bikes as radical as possible.

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Wosi, you might read alright but your comprehension is just plain terrible.

Not saying I like or support it but until motogp gets closer to a one make series, nothing will change. The 70's and early 80's were virtually that, due to the limited technology available and it was great. Hats off to Aprilia etc but if you have no chance of winning, why bother. Which is why for now the backers for the team would be better off using a virtual factory clone to hone and develop a half decent rider so that IF rules change enough they're not behind the 8 ball... still. I concede that until Ezpeleta snaps his hobbles, it won't happen soon.

If you were Honda, you'd do the same, unfortunately for the rest of us, plonkers like you need a 'hero' with every advantage including the red (yellow) cape cause it's not the racing that you're interested in and that's been quite obvious since I read your earliest comments.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Interesting article on Motomatters about the rule changes and how they may pan out over the next few years.

Too near the mark I suspect Bob, with your last paragraph, expect the standard response shortly...

Advantage is fine if it means undisputed no.1 status, subversive team mate on inferior equipment acting as your test mule, special order tyres, brand new V5 990 Honda against immediately obsolete  500 2-strokes etc.

God forbid that anyone else should try and gain some sort of perceived advantage. Anyone would think they might just be in it to try and win it. What do they think it is?  A competition?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices