Skip to content

BMW Staff Blog: It’s not all about the new stuff R1200GS

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS > Staff Blog: It’s not all about the new stuff

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Joined:

Posts:

Richard Newland  says:

Staff Blog: It’s not all about the new stuff

While at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a couple of weeks ago, I was chatting with an MCN reader about the BMW 90th Anniversary display, each of us singling out the models we’d own if money was no object. He was a nice chap, but his ‘mate’ clearly had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 August 2013 10:55)

Post a message in R1200GS

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

   

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

  1.  
  2.  
  3.  

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Joined:

Sep 09

Posts: 860

Rogerborg says:

Check my reading comprehension

Your daily ride is a comped bike from Mandy in Motorrad Marketing, and "many" (dare I assume most?) other bike journos don't actually like bikes enough to have personal ones?

Reply to this Topic
azicat

Joined:

Feb 13

Posts: 30

azicat says:

Richard you have a lovely collection - great taste in bikes there.

I've owned 2 of the bikes in your list - the 996 and the VFR800FiW.  I still have the VFR and I must disagree with you on two points.  I don't think it's very good for city commuting (a bit too heavy and crouched for peak hour traffic) but it just sings once out on the open road with plenty of Honda-style soul.  I just pretend that it's an RC45 wearing its fat pants.

On the other hand, I had a 996 for about 4 years. Tried to love it but I just couldn't.  It was too painful to ride as a street bike.  I would moan every time I reached a red traffic light due to the heavy clutch and impossible-to-find neutral.  The insurance and valve servicing was bank account draining.  There was also a lot of stuffing around trying to sort out the fuel injection mapping.  (I think all Italian bikes of that era were only 95% finished out of the factory - the owner would do the remaining 5% development work.)  I don't miss it at all.

 

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Joined:

Nov 03

Posts: 2084

saturn392 says:

you like red bikes then Richard.

 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

 

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices