Skip to content

YAMAHA Yamaha MT-09 first ride! MT-09

You are in... Forums > YAMAHA > MT-09 > Yamaha MT-09 first ride!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Yamaha MT-09 first ride!

Yamaha's eagerly awaited new three-cylinder roadster is currently being put through its paces by MCN Senior Road Tester Michael Neeves. Here are his first impressions: "We're here at the world launch of the new £6799, three-cylinder, 847cc Yamaha MT-09 in Croatia. "On paper the new Yamaha is an exciting prospect. Weighing just 188kg (171kg dry), it's light and that brand new engine...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 334 days ago (29 August 2013 11:33)

Post a message in MT-09

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

MT-09.

What's all this, "They're copying us Brits" rubbish? I don't see it myself but if you want to go down that road you'll have to recognise that Bloor's Triumph began by copying Japanese bikes.

Yamaha's three cylinder design is a product of a long-standing partnership/consultancy with Ford Motors. The turbo, three-cylinder 1.0 EcoBoost in new Fiestas is supposed to give both economy and performance. VW have gone down the three cylinder route too and they're using small engines with turbos to match older, larger capacity engines. Ok, this new Yamaha doesn't have a turbo but you'd expect Yamaha to put some of this technology into their bikes, hence three cylinders.

I'm surprised at some of the negativity already directed at this bike.

Piglet, I'm not sure that all modern cars do have proper fuelling, it's just that you'll feel the lurching less with the relatively sluggish revving and the stability of four wheels.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

james600zx

No one is saying they are copying Triumph, what I and others are saying is that Yamaha have been influenced by them, which is true, and just like MV were influenced by Triumph in going for a 675cc capacity and three cylinder layout too.

Re: edmundolf, I emailed Marsden over a week ago asking about comments being blocked on certain stories in MCN sport but never got the courtesy of a reply, very poor.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Piglet

You're damn right. I couldn't stand a throttle that constantly changes. Whilst I can understand a "touring mode" and a "track mode" where there are massively different requirements, I can't understand limiting the horsepower or any of that bullshit. Last thing I want is the throttle changing how it responds. If it's snatchy at the low end then use the clutch to smooth it out.

There is however, no excuse for the engine to be "hunting", changing revs at a set throttle opening or having the minimum throttle opening feeling like it's 5%. I would rather have one mode that works properly, smoothly and predictably rather than several modes because they can't get a standard, predictable response from any of them. SORT IT OUT.

As for carbs - it's analogue V digital and you really need a ride by wire throttle with a massive sampling rate plus very fine control over the injectors to get it right. I've not ridden an injected bike where I've been happy with the response but I've never had a problem with the response on a carbed bike. The DRZ was very responsive almost to the point of being snatchy but it was predictable and a little clutch is all you need.

If you have to keep changing throttle modes then you will never master control of the throttle on your bike.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

I was all set to like this bike...

But it turns out, it's ugly, has a rubbish tank range, the handlings vague and the fuelling's not great.

How come Triumph can get these things right and the might of Yamaha can't??

remember when the revised Street Tripple came out and people on the forums here went on and on about the shape of the headlights? puts things in perspective really doesn't it!

Ta,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

With both this Yamaha and the new Street triple being Ass ugly? I would buy the MV Brutale 800! Sure, it might have a scarry throttle response, probably bad fuel consumption and it might be unreliable? But it's so pretty, and will handle like a dream. No ABS as yet for the MV, but i guess they are still working on engine management. Did i mention the MV is pretty? 

Reply to this Topic
jahkeym

Dec 09

jahkeym says:

i reckon with a few choice mods you could be looking at a cool street-tracker................

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

philehidiot

Well, some of the worst engines I have used have both carburetors and emissions controls - not a happy mix.  My fuel injected bikes (Honda Elite/Lead 110, Dullsville, and Bonnie) run much better than the bikes with carburetors (pre-gen Ninja 250R and Yammie TW200).

And a carburetor can only be properly tuned for one atmospheric condition, while modern fuel injected engines self-tune many times per second.

Reply to this Topic
gjw1992

Dec 05

gjw1992 says:

Why the vague f/e?

Obviously a bike like this should be very sharp even if that means it's a little tiring to ride distance. So what's the cause of this vagueness? Any response from Yamaha on what they might do to improve th f/e feeling?

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I prefer the looks of the Street, but I tried a 2009 yesterday and felt like it lacked torque under 6000rpm...I hate the Yamaha colors in america, but I might just try to test drive it, if it's got just a bit more torque down low it should be pretty good..

Reply to this Topic
73mach3

Oct 12

73mach3 says:

pre production

my guess is these are pre production bikes and should be better when they hit the dealers. so far no test in US but they have diff smog rules. time will tell. retail is $1300.00 less on the standard street here that should be the comparison not the R.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices