Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Soft Roaders - Honda CB500X v Rivals First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Soft Roaders - Honda CB500X v Rivals

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Soft Roaders - Honda CB500X v Rivals

Honda's new CB500X adventure bike faces stiff competition - but it's a tough contender. brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 354 days ago (04 September 2013 11:08)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
marval

Nov 03

marval says:

correcting the facts

First of all I agree that the Vstrom is the best but in the interests of fair play,  the NC700x is £5999, not £6899, (dct price),  yes the 500x is £5k but so many reports price the first service approaching £300!!! So the Vstrom is readily available for around £5700  with current £800 cashback , with about a £50 first service. No contest. Perhaps the newbies needed to do a bit of reaearch before commenting on the NC700 not revving beyond 7000rpm, or even the seasond testers did nothing to clarify its purpose and economy, I say that as a sister publication BIKE magazine gives it 5 stars. Regretably  since the sad demise of Kevin Ash, it is very hard to find a really meaningful review. 

Reply to this Topic
dbwindhorst

Oct 05

dbwindhorst says:

if they're mini-venture bikes...

...how do they compare on unimproved roads?

Reply to this Topic
peld

Aug 13

peld says:

Completely agree with what marval has said below - if they had read thier own magazine the NC700X/S is specifically designed to NOT rev high as it is effectively a car engine, and designed to be a fuel efficient commuter.

Also find it a bit silly they have tested the 500 against these other bikes - the 500 was brought out for the new licence regulations so putting against the much more powerful V-Strom is a bit silly - most buyers of the 500 series wont be considering a VStrom.

Reply to this Topic
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

nice Girdle Neevesy!!! Looking trim! :¬)

Reply to this Topic
Fitchie1

Sep 13

Fitchie1 says:

Get your most basic info right !

The NC700X gets a slating here mainly on the grounds that its too expensive, that is only because MCN have quoted the WRONG price of £6895 which is actually for the DCT auto version !!!

The manual version of the bike on test here is £5999 which is less than a grand more than the CB500X. For that you get a physically larger and much more relaxed bike that is easier to ride because peak torque is delivered at just over 4000rpm.

This is the major feature of the bike, the engine is specifically designed to deliver all its power without the need to rev the nuts off it thus giving good MPG. This is a fact that has obviously escaped all the experienced road testers here as they all seem to insist the only way to ride bikes is by wringing the necks of them

Shame this review completely misses the point of the NC

Reply to this Topic
DLman123

Feb 11

DLman123 says:

Rubbish Test

What a load of waffle, could the "testers" not get their facts right about the bikes in question before they proceeded to make fools of themselves. These are all good bikes in their own categories but to compare the cheapest with the most expensive and the least powerful with the most powerful is just beyond me. I owned a v-strom for a number of years and yes it was an excellent bike, I now have the NC700s and I find it an enjoyable bike to ride with the added bonus of 80-90 MPG. I have had to adapt my riding style to the lower revs required, but it works wonderfully well, the standard ABS is a bonus. Testers---CDB (Could Do Better)

Reply to this Topic
cmj897

Oct 08

cmj897 says:

whos the blondie

Reply to this Topic
dukie

Sep 12

dukie says:

my thoughts

yes the first service is £250  quid on the honda but its got an 8000mile service interval and returns 79MPG and 240m tank range. the taller screen is fantastic and the P-twin engine is super smooth.

The cb500x is the perfect commuter/touring bike  for me. it's my 8th bike  and i will be keeping it long term. 

Re: cheap  indicators and mirrors...

indicators are really bright allowing other road users to see you well and the mirros are superb. infact the entire visability is superb on this bike. only down side is perfectly adequate cheaper suspension 

dont write it off as something for beginners only or a "first big bike". it's an all round quality motorcyle

Reply to this Topic
alaus

Sep 13

alaus says:

All these bikes are too heavy IMO. I have driven bikes for 25 years, I am 184cm (6') tall and I have never owned a bike over 150kg (330lbs). I just hate heavy bikes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices