Skip to content

Discuss This New Ducati 899 revealed New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Ducati 899 revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Richard Newland  says:

New Ducati 899 revealed

A new breed of sports bikes has been evolving, defined by non-conformity to more established capacities. Where once we had superbike and supersport categories, the trend is now towards a burgeoning class of super-middleweights. And the highly anticipated Ducati 899 Panigale is the archetypal embodiment of this new ‘Supermid’ genre. True to form, the 899 follows at a dignified distance...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 September 2013 09:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

What I don't understand..

..is how the Hell can this bike be 3K cheaper in America? 

Make's you realise we're getting royally **** in the arse here...

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

I've had 4 Ducatis

an 851,  916,600ss and 900ss , and i have to admit i'm excited about this bike! but to counter a few of the arguments , i don't need or want rider modes, neither do i need traction control with 150bhp especially if it only works with supercorsa tyres, like previous Ducati efforts!

Yes Technoligy costs but i don't want to be the one paying to develop it!

and Triumph's 675r with EVERYTHING i want to add as options still comes in £400 cheaper than the base model of this! and the triumph WORKS without electronics and doesn't have the dodgy question mark hanging over it regarding frame technoligy!

its a now brainer really!

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I don't think the chassis

has anything to do with the use of a double sided swinger. Afterall, the single sider is used on the 1199. Incidently I have a Ducati, with the correct swingarm.

Reply to this Topic
Kescheng

May 06

Kescheng says:

I'd Have One

Usual range of Ducati knockers out there - most probably without actually riding one.

Well, I've had a few and love them. I've also had a few Japanese superbikes as well and they were also very good, however in the real world I was always quicker and more comfortable pushing on a bit sitting on a Ducati. I accept that a mega-powered Jap four is ultimately quicker but the fact is that when you start getting to those levels of warp factor 10 it's more about the rider than the bike. Few of us have the ability or the balls to push any modern superbike even close to the limit especially on the road.

What Ducati do - for a small fortune I admit - is make those of us who possess average riding ability feel better about it. You rarely feel out of touch with the bike and it's easier to work our what is happening. I was way quicker on my 748 than my ZX10 simply because it wasn't box of frogs mad. I suspect that most of us would be faster on this 899 than any Japanese litre bike for the same reason. 

There is of course the pride of ownership. Without a doubt when you open the garage door it's always nicer to see a shiney red Ducati in there than a generic Japanese bike. It's not about performance or logic - it's about beauty and style. A Ducati could be put in an art gallery with some of the greatest creations and still outshine all of them.

As for the other cat call of reliability, I've never had a problem. In fact I doubt if many Ducati owners of the bikes made after the first incarnation of the 916 have had an issue. Build quality is superb, service intervals vast and components that are simply the best available. I had more prblems on my Kawasaki over two years than any of the four Dukes I've owned.

So, this will be on my list of new bikes to try out.  

Reply to this Topic
v2kiwi

Mar 04

v2kiwi says:

TORGUE is the

main problem with these new breed of Ducati. the whole idea of a twin is torque. Because the in line fours produce so much power the twin,s are now chasin the same power , but you have to rev the guts out of it, That's why they don,t even sound any good compared to the long stoke 998 etc.  Still I,m a twin fan and outright power is over rated if you  are a good rider. I have a Superduke and an SP2 with only 135 hp,  which are both awesome road bikes and are easy to ride because of their power characteristics not there outright power.  So power to weight on this thing , you should be untouchable on the roads even if you have to ring it,s nuts . But I,ll wait for the 1290 Superduke, which will no doubt also be a revier type motor.

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

I Want One!

I just love the look and Idea of one of these! Power in the 140's is just right. Any less and not enough punch, and more and its waisted power. I also think Triumph should bring out a Daytona 975. 

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

Just a shame Ducatis suck, they look great but in reality they're over priced and ride worse than the Japanese bikes. 

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

@JustBe

Thas got to be one of the most rediculous sweeping statements re a bike Ive ever heard :roll eyes:

Ive done the jap thing for yrs ( fireblades etc ). A 2005 749s I had I rode around europe and clocked up a lot of miles. Paint was better than my 08 fireblade ffs. I now have another Yam big traillie and the finish is poor. Ducati are way ahead. My current 848 is an involving bike, feels alive and looks the part. I didnt buy it for posing either.Finish is excellent and it rides superbly.

Also, the handling on the dukes dont feel as bendy as jap bikes and they're prob better.

You're just another "ducati hater" who's ill-informed. How many have you owned......? :dopeyhmmmm:

The japs aint moved on, still the same old boring inline4 engine with reviserd fairings etc. The only bike thats really really changed is the fireblade, but finish is very questionable.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Daytona 1050

the simple answer as to why Triumph don't make a big bore sports bike is because they don't need to.

the 675 is SUCH a great bike! on the road it lives with everything, and on the track isn't far behind! the simple question is why build one when the 675 is so good and the market for big sports bikes has disappeared!

i think the 899 is likely to be a better bike for 90% of riders over the 1199, as long as its engine isn't tuned for high revs!

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

nice

Very nice but I'd rather have the RE Continental and a Bonnie for the money...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices