Skip to content

Discuss This Staff Blog: My cleaning confession General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Staff Blog: My cleaning confession

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Staff Blog: My cleaning confession

I know some (most) people don’t enjoy cleaning motorcycles but for me it’s a seriously satisfying part of riding bikes and I’ve just spent three hours working on the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring this weekend.The result, I hope you will agree, manages to completely hide the fact the bike has 8000 miles on the clock under the gleaming exterior...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 September 2013 16:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Chain lube is a waste of money. It just goes everywhere but the chain. Just clean the chain and apply Scottoil sparingly from the bottle to the o rings. Wipe of excess and hey presto. Don't bother with a scottoiler, it's just added expense and difficult finding the room to install one on some bikes and they can be a pain to refill.

Muc Off degreaser corrodes aluminium alloy if left on the bike for too long and as it name implies will remove grease and that includes grease from bearings such as wheel bearings and headstock bearings. Do not use around rear shock linkages either as the same will happen there too. A little dirt around these areas isn't a bad thing as it keeps out moisture that can corrode bearings. Don't be too OCD!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

That's three hours when you weren't riding

On what might have been the last really nice day of the year.

I'll just never understand this obsession with buying an expensive bike just to clean it.  Wouldn't you be better buying some cosmetically tidy MOT failure, and using that to slake your insatiable urge to rub it until it glows?

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

Rogerborg

I take cleaning a bike as a serious part of the maintenance schedule on any bike I own. Nothing will allow you a better chance of spotting something that's loose, broken, hanging off or leaking than getting down and cleaning it properly.

I don't  think taking three hours (and this was longer than normal because of the amount of wet weather the bike has been through recently) out of the usual 45+ hours I ride a month is hardly a big deal.

And as for it being the last nice day of the year...perhaps? But as  I ride almost everyday no matter what the weather and apart from deep snow and I enjoy each ride as much as the rest, it's not a concern.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

chain lube?

Stopped using spray on lube years ago. These days, I use cheapo gear oil from the local Moto Save, wipe off the excess, & there's very little thrown off. Last two chains on the RSV have lasted 25k miles, before they were changed due to tight spots. 

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

As you like, Andy

But the usual rule is after three shakes (or rubs) you're just pleasuring yourself.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

For real?

Ive upped the cleaning, now about every couple of months  or so, how can you clean a bike for that long, and what happens when you ride in the rain etc, I ride every day,  and when we have a week of rain do you clean it every day?, come on and get a life, I ride a bike to save me time. I know a friend with OCD that cleans his bike after every ride, is this really needed on a modern bike .Each to their own, but get a life/ girlfriend/ mates/ or beer instead.

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

Plumber01

This bike is used everyday no matter what the weather. As it has been since the middle of December 2012 when I picked it up from Ducati. It's been to Italy, across the Alps and ridden most of the way home in absolutely lashing rain. 

All bikes benefit from decent cleaning and a I guarantee any bike run through a winter without decent anti-corrsion protection like ACF50 and Scottoiler FS365 along with frequent washing will be a total shed in just a few weeks. It will also be worth loads less than one that has been looked after. If you don't care then all power to your wallet. 

The fact is, this isn't my bike as it belongs to Ducati UK. As a result I treat it as I would my own £15,500 motorcycle, just as I do my own much cheaper motorcycles. 

I will check with my wife if I am allowed a girlfriend and thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

Andy

Hi Andy, please dont be offended, I also ride every day and yes I cant be arsed to clean it that often, however I really do get a bee under my bonet that many new bikes need to be cleaned that often, and treated with anti-rust treatments,  or as you say they do fall apart after a winter of grime and salt,  my own experience, I had a new susuzi that after one winter looked like a 10 year old bike. I have had triumphs and in all fairness, after a couple of winters look fine after a good clean, I have a honda that doesnt have a mark on it after much abuse. My real gripe is I have a 17 year old car that I equally abuse and you cant find a spot of rust on it, so why cant bikes be build better, they seem to be getting much more expensive and I ride on the same roads that I drive on.If we can make cars with lifetime guarantees against rust, why cant bikes be made to the same standard, after all £15K+  for a bike isnt cheap, and it should last whatever you throw at it.

Reply to this Topic
AndyDownes

Aug 02

AndyDownes says:

Plumber01

I'm not offended...just pointing out I probably treat manufacturer bikes even better than I do my own. I would hate to think anyone thought I was a spoilt brat and brought back a shed at the end of the loan period.

I don't think any bikes are much good in winter. The combination of the whole thing being open to the crud, heat, salt and water is a fatal combo for the finish on bikes. I fully agree they should be better but that would mean making them more expensive and people want them cheaper all the time so it can't be both.

Also, although your car might look mint on the top it's almost certainly going to be rusty underneath, you just won't be able to see it as easily as you can on a bike. Those car warranties only cover bodywork....everything else like the undeneath, chassis, suspension parts; or all the bits that go rusty aren't covered.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices