Skip to content

Discuss This Rider killed at Oulton Park trackday General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider killed at Oulton Park trackday

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Simon Patterson  says:

Rider killed at Oulton Park trackday

A five-bike collision at an Oulton Park track day has left one rider dead and two further in critical condition in hospital. The accident happened at the fast Clay Hill bend at the Cheshire track, at an event organised by No Limits Trackdays on Saturday morning. The rider was pronounced dead at the scene, while two others remain in hospital in a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 344 days ago (07 October 2013 13:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigelg79

Jun 12

nigelg79 says:

Sunday roast go away

Such a sad story and I am so sorry to all involved in this extremely unfortunate incident.

However, after reading all the similarly hearfelt comments from people who know what they are talking about I must object to the comment by Sunday Roast.  I am a road rider who does 4-5 trackdays a year.  All I will say on this occasion, as this is an article where we should be remembering those who we have lost, is you are an idiot - go away.

Reply to this Topic
slickhillsy

Oct 04

slickhillsy says:

Red Flag Sunday Roast...

No other comment...  (other than f@cking ****)!

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

All I know

is that track days are the safest way of building confidence in your bike. This was a very unfortunate accident and my condolences go out to all involved, but it is just going into the blind bend at the wrong time, maybe 1 second later and the unfortunate accident could have had a very different outcome. Lets not forget 100 cars crashed on the Sheppy crossing and no one died. Just bad luck and again my deepest sympathy to the family and freinds of all involved.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Sunday roast

First, my condolences to the riders loved ones.

Sundayroast, I'm surprised you\re a rider at all, with the misguided comments you make. Although perfectly entitled to the views you hold, they're slightly oblique and would negate the reason for track-days to exist.
The (Patsfaico) post below explains perfectly how a track-day works; I will just add that track marshals are strict! Very strict! They do an excellent job and their primary concern is rider safety! I've had the unfortunate experience of limping through the doors of Oultons medical centre, the set-up is first class and the medics also do an excellent job!
The odd Valentino Rossi wannabe will find his way onto the circuit, but is quickly (if not banned) disciplined, and will not see himself anywhere near the fast group without a change of attitude. I find your last paragraph offensive and demeaning to experienced, skilled riders.
Race banter can often sound more eventful than the day itself. But let's not forget that (fast group) track-days, to all intents and purposes, are like race/practice days! We who take part, are aware of the dangers and by sticking to the rules, we respect our fellow riders. That's why tragic incidents like this are very rare.

Ride safe, Ride free and respect  fellow road users! 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Jason Hall

Aug 02

Jason Hall says:

Sad business

Firstly my condolences to those involved in and affected by the accident.

I have done four track days with No Limits this year, three at Cadwell and one at Oulton and have been using them since around 1997. They are very well organised and run an efficient and friendly track day.

Sunday Roast's comments are at best ill advised.

I wonder if it is only 10% of sports riders that do or have done track days - I doubt it.

I have seen more stupidity on the roads than I ever have on track days. I have also heard the lame excuse from people for not doing track days, "What if I fell off?" My answer to them is that if you don't trust yourself on the track - then what are you doing riding on the road....?

I agree with other's comments about mutual respect and I would extend this to my experiences of racing too - compared with riding or indeed driving on the roads.

Many years ago I arrived on the scene of a very serious RTA (overturned car with unconscious driver hanging out of the back window still fastened to his seat) and it was 45 minutes before the fire services arrived, then the police came and after almost an hour an ambulance finally arrived.

On a track day, for a more serious accident the session is stopped very quickly and an ambulance is on the scene within a few minutes and you have an on site medical centre.

This is one of those unfortunate things that can happen from time to time in potentially dangerous sports. Let us hope that something can be learned from it but that it does not lead to some knee jerk reaction in terms of regulations and / or insurance liabilities.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

101 reasons

Well its not like the early days anymore is it. What bikes were available 20 years ago? Tyre development has taken off this last 5 years too. Nowadays if you strip down and tune-up a GSX-R1000 its a seriously quick machine. The Aprilia and BMW are fast straight out of the box, with wheels that will take race tyres. This couldn't be done without major expense 2 decades ago (you know - race wheels, tyres not for road use and very odd tyre sizes). Natch' someone will say there is a solution but I'm not sure there is. Road bikes are also heavier than genuine racing machines but the difference is less now its mostly 4-stroke engines. I would like to know the statistics of riders and machines - IE Make and model, road or prepped track bike and riders trackday experience (how many?). I enjoyed two seasons of trackdays and did this mainly to develop a bike, personally I found them as safe as I could make them, the organiser can only do so much. If an individual finds what they want in a trackday then perhaps they ought to continue with Road Racing and finish with Trackdays. The typical thought I found, being that Trackday accidents almost never happen but in Road Racing, it isn't if but when. It might mean the Trackday rider will make much more of an attempt to control or 'save' the bike but my experience of Road Racing has been that when I crashed I got the **** away from it. What was the point continuing anyway? A 'restart' could only mean a lowly finish with the added risk of racing a damaged machine if allowed to continue by marshals. Not only that, a 2 or 3 race day format would leave me absolutely exhausted but Trackdays can have 6 to 8 sessions. A sad day but not entirely unexpected.

Reply to this Topic
r6buz

May 05

r6buz says:

Sundayroast

Having met some riders who frequent the fast groups, hell would freeze before I went on track with them. They care not a jot about anyone or anything other than their own personal experience and laptimes and often watch too much GP on the TV. Not everyone can find an alternative line when being overtaken (fast) on the inside of a corner. Not for me. Good luck. See you in the statistics.

Hence the inclusion of a "novice group"

Reply to this Topic
kendizx9r

Oct 04

kendizx9r says:

advertising no no

edna thassen you have no right to advertise on here, it is replies only to what the storyline is mcn please take it off and do not let it happen again

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

101 cont'

If the local Road Race clubs (Derby Phoenix, New Era, etc) did send a rep' to a trackday looking for talent and found a rider able to put in laps a few seconds shy of the lap record then they could make a recommendation on behalf of them to the ACU. Now, one of the reasons that these guys don't actually do Road Racing is that with a DVLA licence they can ride pretty much what they want on the race track and not have to go thru the licencing and capacity restriction of the ACU. So in this instance I don't think it unreasonable to expect a waiving of 'Novice Jacket' requirement in so much as a capable R1 rider (Crossplane Crank(DVLA)) could expect an initial Road Race licence of National status and be free to continue to race the same machine upon their first race meeting. Afterall, with backup spares, wheels with wets, tyre warmers and transport van they are ready to race anyway. But would the ACU accept such entries? Its that 'R' word again ...Respect... a quality that the ACU can be short of at times. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices