Skip to content

Ask an Expert Horse riders, a noisy bike and poor road visibility...best practice? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Horse riders, a noisy bike and poor road visibility...best practice?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

IdrisBlue

Oct 13

IdrisBlue says:

Horse riders, a noisy bike and poor road visibility...best practice?

I just passed my CBT on a geared bike a week ago, although I had a twist and go years back and have driven for the past 13 years.

Out for a gentle 'getting to know the bike better' (Yamaha RS100, noisy but beautiful little 2 stroke) jaunt on country lanes on Sunday I came up behind a horse and rider.  Saw them in plenty of time, dropped down and kept my distance, BUT we were on a drawn out, narrow, low visibility bend, which meant all I could do was sit behind them, for a fair few minutes, during which time other vehicles came up behind and were 'itching' to pass.

On this occasion, there was a convenient turning which the rider took, clearly realising that we had a potential hazard.  For future reference though, does anyone have any advice on handling my noisy bike around sensitive animals when I can't necessarily pass straight away?  Is it simply a case of keeping back and good clutch control, or am I just being too nervous about my engine noise?  Having also ridden a lot in my past, I'm well aware what it's like to have a horse lose it on a road.

Any advice to help me improve my riding skills would be greatly appreciated!  I'm happy that I did the right thing on this occasion, as I'd far rather hang back on a tight corner than become an unfortunate splat in the path of an oncoming car, but I also don't want to be so hesitant around other road users that I inadvertently create a hazard all of my own.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 350 days ago (07 October 2013 20:04)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Ive

been told that constant, sensible speed without changing the throttle should be fine. If the horse looks skittish though then it might be better to pull over and turn off in case it does something stupid. My opinion is that you'd not drive or ride a vehicle that would potentially throw you off in certain circumstances and if the horse is not capable of remaining calm on the road it should not be used on the road.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Do as you did

Some horses are easily spooked, sometimes by unexpected visuals as much as noise, so hang back and go easy on the throttle, as you did.  Just like driving texters, wreckless cyclists and drunken pedestrians, they shouldn't be there if not in full control, but assume the worst.

You could give an "I'm slowing down signal" to anyone behind you to calm them too.  When you've seen what a spooked horse can do you don't want to see it again...

If the rider is sure of there bomb-proof steed they'll appreciate your patience and most likely wave you on past, and you can give them a cheery wave.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

horses

Never trust a horse, it can throw the rider and kick sh*t out of you and your bike. My advice is let the rider pull in and wave you on, pass wide as possible at a slow constant speed as said. Also a courtesy rule with two slow vehicles (horse and you) who don`t pass each other is to leave a long gap for other vehicles to pass you and then the horse. 

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

horses

You did the right thing.  :smile If some prat thinks their journey is more important than yours, and overtakes you and spooks the horse, then at least it wasn't YOUR fault. Bikers get bad enough press as it is, and you did right. Well done.  :smile

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

hosses

I think you did right. If there was a long wait for a passing opportunity, then you could have pulled over and stopped for 5 minutes.

Reply to this Topic
LizaJohn124

Nov 13

LizaJohn124 says:

good

Yes you did the right. Because after passing you get out from there.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Useful tips,

eh?

Reply to this Topic
Beefy1902

Feb 14

Beefy1902 says:

Well Done

I think you did the right thing. Horses are unpredictable and your visibility was poor, well done.

My ninja makes a fair racket, so if its safe to do so and horses are coming towards me I would usually pull in and switch off until they pass. I have been on a horse in the past and there braw big beasts so wouldnt want one to get upset.

If following a horse, I would do same as you did. Approach with caution and leave plenty room, keeping revs low

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices