Skip to content

Discuss This MotoGP and Moto2 races hit by tyre issues in Australia MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > MotoGP and Moto2 races hit by tyre issues in Australia

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

MotoGP and Moto2 races hit by tyre issues in Australia

This weekend’s Australian Grand Prix has turned into a PR nightmare for Bridgestone and Dunlop after tomorrow’s MotoGP and Moto2 races will run under a revised format to counter fears of major tyre issues. A multi-million pound re-surface of the spectacular Phillip Island track last December has received rave reviews from all riders and seen lap record-breaking performances in all three...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 279 days ago (19 October 2013 14:02)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jerrycann

Jul 13

jerrycann says:

princeofrepsol

Possibly Yamaha, possibly Rossi, maybe even Dani as it would decrease his already small chance of a title.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

What a fookin' farce

Lots at fault here in a multitude of ways, from Dunlop, Bridgestone, Capirossi, Webb and race direction, but the ultimate buck stops with Ezpeleta and Dorna royally screwing this round at Philip Island. 

Superb Lorenzo, cruel luck for Marquez and the world nr.6 doing what he does - fighting with the tier two riders.

Agreed Rob Dylan, piss poor crowd. Reminiscent of the British at Donny during the Doohan years.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DoubtingThomas

Apr 13

Good grief

he sacrificed millions to prove/ stand by his views

No, he quit 'cause his head was fried. Same reason he's quit racing his commode.

Reply to this Topic
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

Konnichiwa B*tches

"... why does MotoGP bother going to Australia?"

It could be that we're richer than most of Europe, or have a bunch of recent world champions, or that the track is a favourite with the riders ...

... but the truth is that we're far enough from England that you can actually hear the noise of the engines above the Poms' incessant whinging.

Reply to this Topic
Stonered

Sep 12

Stonered says:

Hmmm..so we can chose between silver stone or Phillip island....not much of a contest there...and nowt from Wales....

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Yes Marquez is in Motogp and Rossi is nearer the front and has been involved in a lot of the actual racing action of the season (which isn’t at the front usually). But you can’t blame the Aussie’s for not going to the Island. Firstly no Casey, secondly Motogp is just not a brilliant spectacle these days for race fans and third they already knew before setting off that they were going to be robbed of 10 laps viewing. Funny that last weekend’s was a sell out with cheap tickets in a region both Yamaha and Honda have said is the biggest market.

As far as the tyre farce goes well I get bored saying the same thing. Scrap the Bridgestone monopoly and open the doors for all companies to try their best tyres on all the bikes – this could be hugely beneficially to some teams/bikes. Bridgestone clearly were making the best tyres in 07 and Michelins had become dangerous and unreliable due to taking their eye off the ball and being arrogant about their standing in the class. Clearly since then Bridgestone (Japanese company) seem to have made their tyres work much better for Jap bikes and Ducati have clearly suffered because of this change. I now reckon Bridgestone are resting on their monopoly and not putting in the effort that the bike manufacturers are. The tyre company should not have this much control and influence! It is a motorcycle championship. I think the quicker this rule goes the better for the sport.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

The tyre company should not have this much control and influence! It is a motorcycle championship. I think the quicker this rule goes the better for the sport.

The tyre company will do whatever the governing body that gives it the contract tells it to do. And currently, that is provide a single spec tyre (if you can call it that given there is choice of compounds)

The solution doesn't need more manufacturers. Bridgestone could easily provide a wider range of options. They don't because they aren't contracted to. The solution for any tyre issues rests with the organisers.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Bulto that’s your opinion mate
I don’t believe the governing body will have ever instructed Bridgestone to make tyres with an optimum operating level of that only works well within a tiny window of around 5 degree air temperature or that become dangerous after 10 laps. But that is what happened but I don’t think anyone thinks that was specified as criteria to Bridgestone.
This weekend it was pretty clear the number of race laps and instigating the pit stop was dictated directly because of Bridgestone product. I just reckon if Pirelli, Michelin or Dunlop were allowed to chuck their best tyres at Motogp at a test session that some bikes would benefit immediately; such as Ducati and some (not all) CRT teams. There is no monopoly on brakes, exhausts, frames shocks etc in the class – so why have it on the tyres? More manufacturers means more competition and keeps everyone honest.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

You're taking it too literally. I wasn't referring to this weekend specifically when things obviously went wrong - and not for the first time. There is no doubt they have turned out some sub-standard tyres and on a good few occassions, not forgetting for an entire season with the 2011 front.

All I meant was it is the organisers who have dictated that there can be only one tyre for all, so that is what Bridgestone make and it favours the Jap bikes over Ducati. The fact they they are not always up to par is another matter, but nothing to do with the one tyre rule.

One supplier could serve the needs of all teams if they were allowed to with the contract, but they aren't.

Funny how Stoner said that Bridgestone had become lazy and needed to pay more attention to quality control and listen to teams more, not DORNA. He was scoffed at as a cry baby because he didn't like the tyres. Look what the same 'scoffers' have to say about Bridgestone now

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

My opinion is that Bridgestone have gotten lazy and are resting on the laurels of the past, (just as Stoner agreed) in exactly the same way Michelin did in 2007. In 07 when Michelin shod bikes were either crashing or finishing the race early in the pits…or last at least there was the Bridgestone alternative. What would be so bad about an open tyre test for all manufacturers, no other area of the class has exclusivity so why are Bridgestone so protected? Michelin got kicked out of the class altogether for producing sub-standard and dangerous product – why are Bridgestone not receiving the same treatment from Dorna? . I ain’t saying get rid of Bridgsestones at all, just let the others in to see what they can offer other bikes. There is huge disparity in the class from the full factory bikes, the satelittes, the CRT’s and next year the production type, their speed, bhp’s, weight distributions etc are all quite different so it’s an impossible task expecting Bridgetones to have any hope of being able to produce a product allowing all the bikes to perform at their best when the tyre option is so limited.
I’d bet on an improvement in the racing if other tyre manufacturers were allowed back in. That's all.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices